[Poll] How would you rate episode 509?

Ran

How would you rate episode 509?  

980 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Book canon: no they are not. Targs have had greyscale

Show canon: who knows, they will just make it up.

Weird event though, maybe Connington will pass the Greyscale to Danny instead of Jorah. It's interesting that the only thing that the producers though about Con and Griff was important enough to include was Greyscale. It's also interesting that the only part of their journey that was important enough to include was Tyrion's massive greyscale exposure in Valerya (originally the Rhoyne). Mormont is uncharacteristically indifferent to Dany's protection in that last scene, but would he really be careless enough to pass such an affliction to her? I have been of the belief for sometime that Tyrion 'the gargoyle' has contracted and will begin to transmit greyscale (though I wouldn't be surprised if he's himself resistant - death comes out of the dragon's mouth it doesn't go in, and yes, I think Tyrion's a 1/2 targ) in the coming books and that the disease is more than a side story but will be somehow intrinsic to the story's ultimate resolution, but could it be Typhoid Dany not Typhoid Tyrion? Or will it be Typhoid Dany and Tyrion will be somehow involved in a cure?

I've hated much of the show's portrayal of Stannis. And while I'm not sure that burning Shireen is in Stannis nature, I really don't think it's that much more amoral to do that than to burn starving men who had to resort to cannibalism to survive (as he did in the books).

Mormont is uncharacteristically indifferent to Dany's protection in that last scene, but would he really be careless enough to pass such an affliction to her?

One of my crackpot theories has been that Jorah might eventually be the one that kills Dany out of jealousy and despair over her rejection. Granted, I never considered that it might be through a greyscale infection.

Sorry if people get offended by this, but believing Stannis is "just a villain and a fanatic" is showing a very basic and poor capacity of reading comprehension. Read a book (any book, not only ASOIAF) is not decipher symbols from a paper. It's understand motifs and characterization. Also, being an asshole or a dislikeable person doesn't equals being a villain.

People are often emontial and foolish. Like the writer's. They don't get stannis and thus have to reduce him down to something they understand.

A provisional 8. Need to rewatch in the morning when more awake, and mull it over a bit more. I'm with you Phoenix that the Drogon scene wasn't entirely what I wanted it to be, but I admit it was still stirring... stirring enough that it took awhile to realize that Dany had abandoned her friend, her lover, her new advisor, and her old protector to their fates while they were surrounded by sons of the harpy...

As to the Shireen thing, horrifying and tragic. Amazing performances all around. I don't think D&D really earned the moment, though, I think they really failed to make the real desperation of the situation obvious, so I think a lot of people will balk at that. That said, I've always seen Stannis as Agamemnon to Shireen's Iphigenia, and have always supposed that Stannis would be faced with the decision of sacrificing his own daughter. His vision of a king with a fiery crown being burned to ashes may well have a glimpse of the past, re: Viserys, but to me it says that Stannis will ultimately be destroyed by what he's doing, and to me there's a lot of emotional resonance in his sacrificing his own daughter. The only reason he didn't burn Edric, besides the fact that Davos got the boy away, was being convinced that he was doing it for the wrong reasons and needed to focus on saving the realm from the Great Other.... but if at the end of things he has nothing left to win the war but the promise of what the sacrifice of king's blood can offer... well.

I'll be very curious to see what his relationship to Davos is like after this.

People are often emontial and foolish. Like the writer's. They don't get stannis and thus have to reduce him down to something they understand.

That's so patronising. Stannis is going to come to the realisation that his actions have been the actions of a villain. He has committed terrible crimes because he's allowed a red witch to convince him he's the messiah. Which he isn't.

A really good episode. I wavered between an 8 or a 9. I went with a 9 after a re-watch. The pit scene was great, all of the Shireen/Stannis stuff was really well acted which made it very difficult to watch. I actually enjoyed what went on in Dorne rather than being ho-hum about it. My only complaint is Braavos was pretty boring this week it seems to me they could have saved all of what's going to happen there for next week.

Here in the U.S. when we had the Presedential elections and Obama was running for his 1st term there were thousands of American "patriots" who swore they would leave the US if he won. 7 years later, he is still the President and those people who swore to leave are still here.

Here in the forum we have people who swear they will not watch Season 5, and yet, 9 episodes later they are still here crying and bitching and clogging up the space with their hate that will never change.

It sure would be nice and respectful if people who have nothing but hate would stay in the nit pick forum. It's clear that 25% of the people on here will never further a conversation in a positive manner.

I am between a 7 and an 8. The inconsistent characterizations are driving me crazy. We have Ellaria emptying her toast to King Tommen on the floor, then later chatting with Jaime about how incest is fun. We have touching scenes of Stannis and Shireen, then last night he burns her alive. [watching Shireen carry the carved stag to her death was heartbreaking.] It is very hard to watch a show when the characters can suddenly behave completely different from the way they have been shown. It keeps the viewer never entirely trusting the show, it reduces enjoyment, and it makes me crazy.

Also, Davos. He knew. I believe he knew. So what was his responsibility to Shireen, if any. This troubles me. I have enjoyed Davos as a character and now I am not certain. How he behaves in the next episode (if he is in it) will make a great deal of difference to me.

On the other hand, the arena scene was fun and entertaining. Drogon is way cool, Sir Jorah received some redemption, Tyrion was his own witty self, and Dany got to fly her dragon.

I am going with a 7. Just because one part is entertaining does not make up for the entire episode.

Here in the U.S. when we had the Presedential elections and Obama was running for his 1st term there were thousands of American "patriots" who swore they would leave the US if he won. 7 years later, he is still the President and those people who swore to leave are still here.

Here in the forum we have people who swear they will not watch Season 5, and yet, 9 episodes later they are still here crying and bitching and clogging up the space with their hate that will never change.

It sure would be nice and respectful if people who have nothing but hate would stay in the nit pick forum. It's clear that 25% of the people on here will never further a conversation in a positive manner.

Is this your idea of 'furthering the conversation in a positive manner'? Telling people who don't like the show that they're 'bitching and clogging up space'?

You're cute.

I wasn't too involved as far as Danny riding Drogo, they needed to probably cut back some funds on it after HH, but the point got across.

Sad as it was the burning of Shireen was epic and gut wrenching, putting Sansa's rape in the second spot, and like Sophie, Miss Ingram was epically emotional .

8/10

Twas no Battle of Blackwater.

Also I some misgivings about the Shireen story. There had better be some worthwhile pay off that. Shadowbaby Roose at the very least....

I give this a nine. My one problem with this episode is I felt the excitement of the climax was deflated somewhat by some hinkey CG. Actually I have another problem, that being Done. An anticlimax to an underwhelming plotline.

Everything else was great. Episode for episode, I'd rank the seasons in this order: 4,1,3,5,2. Which is remarkable because I felt that books 4 and 5 were a significant depreciation in quality, whereas I found season 5 to be simply on par with the quality with the rest of the series. It had more cheesy moments (Dorne, hissing crowd, Dany riding the dragon) than other seasons, bit it had a load of great sequences too (everything at the Wall, Hard home, Tyrion, Shireen's sacrifice).

I don't see this season being the best, but depending on the next episode it may yet climb a notch to be number three.

Such a great show, though. Especially when you consider the hilariously bad fare that fantasy used to offer (Buffy and Angel, Xena, Spartacus - well, Spartacus came first but it still fits as an exple of the cheesy alternatives out there).

I'll be very curious to see what his relationship to Davos is like after this.

I think he may have been still in camp, just not right there, and if he heard Shireen scream I think he switch allegiance to the Starks in the future, he's Ned just not as naive.

That's so patronising. Stannis is going to come to the realisation that his actions have been the actions of a villain. He has committed terrible crimes because he's allowed a red witch to convince him he's the messiah. Which he isn't.

Look at benioffs past work and then get back to me. Troy was bad, Wolverine was terrible (not a super hero fan so I am jaded there), 25th hour was a good adaptation but I swear the actors did more work then he did, and I haven't seen the rest.

Now let's take a look at stannis from a purely show point of view. Renly's death was a planned out murder but Renly was planning to kill him in open battle which wasn't declared- so sloppy writing. Then Blakcwater- he leads the charge which was stupid but heroic. He snaps in season 3 and goes all go nuts. Season 4 he gets his head back on striaght thanks to davos. He afterward builds an army and runs up north. That's fine. Sort of his book plot with. Stannis then burns Mance which is disturbing but acceptable to a degree. Stannis then offers and supports Jon Snow even after rejection. Thats all fine and good. Then some random storm which was no where bad as a siege that he was stuck destory's moral and red idiot offers him a way out and he says no. Then out of nowhere he forgets standard military tacitcs of keeping the food in the middle of the camp which is just dumb, and then loses horses, siege equipment, and the food out of no where when all THREE should be well guarded with 3000 men. Then this happens. He first asks shireen and in a stupid round about way and decides to burn her despite his fatherly affection. Leaves him with no heir, no fall back, no marriage prospects, and no goals. So, no I don't the logical steps in this story. It looks like George Bush wrote it. Benioff is a fool.

I believe that you don't like Stannis. I understand it. The man is a product of his time and isn't good at politics in either the tv or the books. However two of the best politicians that ever existed weren't good people. Franklin Roosevelt and Augustus Caeser were terrible people from a moral standpoint. They went around the law to get things done and they hamstrung everyone to follow them. However, they changed their societies for the better. Will Stannis? No probably not. He'll end up dead and that will be that but he isn't a bad man. That's what the TV show fails to do. It makes you hate someone who shouldn't be hated.