[Poll] How would you rate episode 509?

Ran

How would you rate episode 509?  

980 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I believe that you don't like Stannis. I understand it. The man is a product of his time and isn't good at politics in either the tv or the books. However two of the best politicians that ever existed weren't good people. Franklin Roosevelt and Augustus Caeser were terrible people from a moral standpoint. They went around the law to get things done and they hamstrung everyone to follow them. However, they changed their societies for the better. Will Stannis? No probably not. He'll end up dead and that will be that but he isn't a bad man. That's what the TV show fails to do. It makes you hate someone who shouldn't be hated.

Sigh. It's the lengths he is prepared to go to that make him a villain. I agree he has many qualities but he is also deluded and being manipulated by Mel. Evil comes in many forms and a man who has engaged in blood magic, human sacrifice and kinslaying is a man that has lost his grip on reality. The cause is everything. The end justifies the means. These are increasingly becoming hollow excuses where Stannis is concerned. What's that old line about good men do good things and bad men do bad things but it takes religion to make good men do bad things. That's Stannis in a nutshell. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Worst thing is that it's also all in vain. He's not AAR, just a deluded man with a huge sense of entitlement. He's a tragic figure.

Here in the U.S. when we had the Presedential elections and Obama was running for his 1st term there were thousands of American "patriots" who swore they would leave the US if he won. 7 years later, he is still the President and those people who swore to leave are still here.

Here in the forum we have people who swear they will not watch Season 5, and yet, 9 episodes later they are still here crying and bitching and clogging up the space with their hate that will never change.

It sure would be nice and respectful if people who have nothing but hate would stay in the nit pick forum. It's clear that 25% of the people on here will never further a conversation in a positive manner.

Isn't that exactly what you're doing with this post??? :dunno:

5/10

- Daznak's Pit was well done - in single moments it was great, but it wasn't quite 'Dracarys' from Season 3. I liked the story a lot more in the books, the Harpy attack felt a bit cheap, but I was much more drawn into the scene than I was drawn into last weeks silly skeleton battle.

- The pit fighting was terrible, or at least mediocre. None of the female fighters from the books. Just men hitting each other with sticks. Boring.

- Tyrion: of course he could kill some of those harpys. Who'd win in a fight between Tyrion and Barristan? Why don't you even ask ...

- The Burning of Sheireen: again, it was announced in such a stupid, stupid way with Davos' present. It was a great emotional scene, though I don't know what to think of it. Let's see where this goes. I don't think book Stannis would have done this, but okay. Got me interested.

- Dorne: When you thought Dorne couldn't be worse, it got worse again. The slapping game in the cell must be the dumbest scene of the series so far, way dumber even that the striptease.

- They really don't get Arya, do they. And of course Meryn had to be a pedophile (otherwise we don't get he's a villain, because we are all so stupid).

- Jon approaching from north of the wall: whatever. Olly being angry: new level of stupid. Ramsay burning the tents: whatever.

Edit: The more I think about the episode, the lower I want to rate ... 4/5 would do it just as much justice ...

Edited by Gargarax

3/10

Overall it was hte exact opposite of last week's episode, which was fast-paced and moved all plots along nicely.

This ep was very boring, and it seemed sloppy and inconsistent with their portrayal of Stannis, Dorne, the fighting pit scene.....

ETA: 5 minutes of action after 55 minutes of plonk didn't make me forget the majority of the episode's shortcomings.

Edited by dannyk65

@dannyk65 , no. If you read the post it's about clearing the posts from here that are only here to criticize a show they will never like and yet continue to watch. It's unfortunate that you have to wade through all of them to get to discussions on the show that are not always going to be negative.

Imagine how much cleaner the thread would be without posts from people who are only here to be negative. I thought that was why the rant and rave thread exists.

The amazing thing to me is if people criticize GRRM in the book section moderators and others jump in and say hey, stop, discuss but don't get personal, and yet DD get destroyed.

The amazing thing to me is if people criticize GRRM in the book section moderators and others jump in and say hey, stop, discuss but don't get personal, and yet DD get destroyed.

Spot on. Some of the personal abuse aimed at D&D in the rant and rave thread is bad enough, we don't want the venom spreading to other threads.

@dannyk65 , no. If you read the post it's about clearing the posts from here that are only here to criticize a show they will never like and yet continue to watch. It's unfortunate that you have to wade through all of them to get to discussions on the show that are not always going to be negative.

Imagine how much cleaner the thread would be without posts from people who are only here to be negative. I thought that was why the rant and rave thread exists.

Imagine how much cleaner it would be without the show fanboys. If only...

I had a tough time rating this. On one hand, my gut wants me to give it a low number, however I understand that my dislike comes from the fact that something that I did not want to happen has now in fact happened. That makes it difficult.

Overall I thought it was a very good episode. I like the Mereen scenes. Drogon was exciting. Jorah killing the Harpy made me cheer. Dario's head between Dany and Hizzy looking like their kid riding in the back seat of their car was hilarious. Tyrion saying his father would have liked him was great.

There is really nothing to be said about Stannis now. He sold his soul for a kingdom.

Arya in the brothel was rather boring. I want to like this story, but I do not. To be fair, I was the same way with the book. I wanted to like it, but I did not.

For once, Dorne was tolerable. Tyene slapping the other sand snake was hilarious. I liked the scene with Ellaria and Jamie.

The wall scenes were good. Ser Alliser was very good. The only thing I did not like was that hang dog look on Jon. For crying out loud, he looked like a drowning black sheep with that hair do and the whining made me want to scream. He's is now a man of the Night's Watch and the Lord Commander to boot and yet he is mewling like a new born kitten right in front of the men that he is leading. He needs to man up and live with his decisions.

Finally, for Christ's sake can someone find out if Olly has any king's blood, because while normally I do not advocate child abuse, I would love to burn his ass up.

Eugh what the hell was that episode trying to pull?

Only gave it 3/10 (worst ever score from me):

- The Dorne saga felt like an utter letdown, with 8 episodes of dull, non-nonsensical plotting that ended with an all too happy ending... we kept waiting for the big twist and just felt there was no point to any of the Dorne material or Sandsnakes whatsoever.

- Arya's plotline (which we adore in the books) felt flat and predictable - my hubby hasn't ready the WoW Mercy chapter but can guess what will happen.

- The fact we didnt even see Ramsay (and that Stannis' camp was so easily infilitrated) felt cheap...for a moment I saw a flash of bookStannis in "hang the guards", but from then on I don't see why we couldn't see tough Stannis sticking out the rough weather instead of relying on RedVelvet and sacrificing the daughter who he (in the book) wants to see seated on the throne if he dies. Her death was frankly disgusting, and grotesque.

Positive stuff:

- The Wall was ok.

- I loved most of Daenerys and the pit, especially the Jorah/Dany hands moment. This scene saved the episode.

0 out F ing 10. Ramsay is not Solid Snake. Stannis would not decide to burn his daughter because someone killed the horses. The guy was willing to die rather than break a promise. Done with this show... This is the straw that broke the camels back.

P.s. Props to the talented young actress Kerry Ingram for killing it as Shireen Baratheon this season.

This episode is nowhere near as bad as many people claim it is. The burning scene was disturbing, but it was MEANT to be disturbing, and I think that the acting was excellent. Selyse was convincing as a fanatic who showed her mother's feelings during the critical moment. Stannis didn't become a monster. He actually showed more emotions than ever and was clearly shocked by the whole thing. Remember that he was disgusted by the idea when Mel first proposed it. He did it only because he felt he had no other choice. Seriously, his supply situation was terrible even BEFORE Ramsay's attack and it has been snowing since then.

Yes, they fucked some things up (for example, why the HELL Balon is still alive?), and many things could have been done better. However, it's still a quite good episode IMO. It certainly doesn't deserve 1/10 or 2/10.

I'm wondering how it will all play out in the books. I'm certain that the burning itself will happen, but the context and the details will be different. Still, it sounds like a possible heartwrenching scene.

0 out F ing 10. Ramsay is not Solid Snake. Stannis would not decide to burn his daughter because someone killed the horses. The guy was willing to die rather than break a promise. Done with this show... This is the straw that broke the camels back.

P.s. Props to the talented young actress Kerry Ingram for killing it as Shireen Baratheon this season.

Close the door behind you.

Personally I blame GRRM for all this. If he had got his finger out etc.

But it was gripping TV. I couldn't tear my eyes away. Of course if GRRM had written the Shireen scene the book people would be orgasming how great it was.

Once again you cannot compare the books to TV. If you don't like it, tough. You know the solution.

BTW I gave it a ten.

But it was gripping TV. I couldn't tear my eyes away. Of course if GRRM had written the Shireen scene the book people would be orgasming how great it was.

Once again you cannot compare the books to TV. If you don't like it, tough. You know the solution.

BTW I gave it a ten.

Just so I said it: Before watching the episode, I watched Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange". Considered a masterpiece of cinema, a work of art, and yet no line of dialogue was changed from the book, every scene did the book perfect justice. So I'm calling BS on those silly "adaptations have to go different roads" arguments. It's just not true, not one bit.

Criticising other people's ranking is childish, by the way.

BTW I gave it a ten.

If it was in the book I would be annoyed, because it would be extremely out of character for Stannis to cave like that. I know I can't compare books to TV but it still doesn't change the fact that it was terrible writing. the show is more concerned with shock value than the overall quality of the show, and it's just like a slap across the face when they build characters up to just completely contradict their arc (I.e Sansa, Jaime and now Stannis). and I'm not against book changes, if you look on my profile you'll see my post last week about how much I loved Hardhome, and that 90% of that was made up by DB & Weiss.

7/10

Dorne was awful, as always. At least this episode confirmed that the whole storyline was pointless. I chuckled at Ramsay's Special Forces, but I figured it was a faster way to get Stannis to where he is in the books. Didn't have a problem with too many things, but it wasn't the greatest. The only reason I can't give it a lower score is 'cause some of the choices might become justified and explained in the next book(s). Basically givin' 'em the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Cz-99