[Poll] How would you rate episode 509?

Ran

How would you rate episode 509?  

980 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it a 2 and the only saving grace was the final scene. Everything else has been a let down for me as of late and so many things have changed to the point of being something akin to a mockery of the books. I absolutely dislike the idea of Jaime going to Dorne as this part is so freaking annoying. I don't give two shits what happens there so why put in?! (sorry didn't make sense earlier)

Edited by Eldric Storm

Just so I said it: Before watching the episode, I watched Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange". Considered a masterpiece of cinema, a work of art, and yet no line of dialogue was changed from the book, every scene did the book perfect justice. So I'm calling BS on those silly "adaptations have to go different roads" arguments. It's just not true, not one bit.

Criticising other people's ranking is childish, by the way.

"A Clockwork Orange" is basically a novella. I will let others debate on the difficulties of adaptation.

Can't see where I criticised other people's rankings.

10/10. Great Episode!!!!! I hate Stannis for what he did. That broke my heart. Which really sucks because I was and still am rooting for him. When Stannis sent Davos away I knew what he was planning on doing to Shireen. It was awesome to see Jorah kick some ass and get to save Dany. The ending was AMAZING!!!!

If it was in the book I would be annoyed, because it would be extremely out of character for Stannis to cave like that. I know I can't compare books to TV but it still doesn't change the fact that it was terrible writing. the show is more concerned with shock value than the overall quality of the show, and it's just like a slap across the face when they build characters up to just completely contradict their arc (I.e Sansa, Jaime and now Stannis). and I'm not against book changes, if you look on my profile you'll see my post last week about how much I loved Hardhome, and that 90% of that was made up by DB & Weiss.

I sometimes think I'm watching a different show to some people. Stannis arc this season and previously has always had the possible burning of Shireen as a theme. He's been fighting with the dilemma of to burn or not to burn his own blood daughter for ages.

Gave it a solid six. Not a bad episode overall. Certainly not the worst of the season, but it was a little too uneventful and really the ending felt rushed. Didn't even get to see a wedding between Dany and Hizdar before he got red shirted. If he was leading the sons of the harpy all along then he failed lol.

Of all five seasons it's by a very wide margin the worst episode nine. I'm very disappointed at what they've done with Stannis this season, he just seems so distant from who he was at the beginning of the season now. Uncomfortably so. Maybe that particular event does happen in a book to come, but we'll have to wait and see on that. Hopefully episode ten is a beast and can make up for how disappointing I feel this season has been.

I sometimes think I'm watching a different show to some people. Stannis arc this season and previously has always had the possible burning of Shireen as a theme. He's been fighting with the dilemma of to burn or not to burn his own blood daughter for ages.

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't know how we've gone from him telling her how much he loves her, to burning at the stake and not even showing a glint of emotion. it feels like they skipped from A directly to Z

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't know how we've gone from him telling her how much he loves her, to burning at the stake and not even showing a glint of emotion. it feels like they skipped from A directly to Z

Whereas elswhere he has been really the wearing-his-heart-on-his-sleeve guy right? All the range of emotions he has shown, indeed.

I grant you guys that, this thread is hell of a source of filling up one's ignore list.

If I only would get a dollar for every book zealot promising to quit watching the show and being right back here next week bitching and moaning I feel I could stop working right here and now. As the Obama reference earlier, indeed, it's like we have our own religious fundamental GRRM worshipping Tea Party here.

The award for best sycophant comment of the thread so far must go to "the episode was a six but if GRRM came up with the idea of burning Shireen it must be a nine".

For me, that just makes it more powerful.

We've had a fair bit of foreshadowing and a sense of Mel's agenda gaining the upper hand over Ser Davos's advice. I actually thought Stephan Dillane played it beautifully. In a perfect world the show would have shown more of the desperate situation he's in but I don't see Shireen's burning as being out of character for `Stannis or contradictory to his arc.

He was watching his little girl screaming to death and begging to stop burning her, sorry but even if you had a heart of stone that would evoke some kind of reaction.

I did have a reaction. Stannis didn't. That's the whole fucking point. Why are you empathising with Stannis? HE killed his daughter, not anybody else. The only character assassination here would have been him NOT burning his daughter and EVERYBODY knew it would happen sooner or later. Everybody suspected it already in season 4.

I had shivers when I was reading the pit episode in the book. So I had great expectations and I was so excited to watch it on the show.

The finally and last scene was great, I guess this is why it is called a SHOW. All the twists and changed from the book (some really laughable) on the other hand made the all thing a BIG disappointment for me. Some people just should not be on that pit. It is as simple as that... :(