[Poll] How would you rate episode 509?

Ran

How would you rate episode 509?  

980 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

It seems silly to claim she was rescued by Drogon - they share a mental connection. He is a part of her and she is a part of him. He came because she summoned him, consciously or subconsciously. She then pulled a spear out of his neck and when he challenged her, she stood her ground and then flew off. She rescued herself.

I mean, how many times has Jon been saved by Ghost? Is Arya's escape from Harrenhall somehow less impressive because she had Nymeria's help? Does Bran's journey not count because he has constantly being helped by Summer? It's the same thing.

Yes but in the books Dany specifically put her life in danger in order to save him. It was important because she chose Drogon - and herself - over the Meereenese. "He is fire made flesh ... and so am I."

whilst there are some good moments, it all seems rushed, and lacking in subtlety. it is all very well to say that they know where it going to end so there are going to get there in their own way, but it feels like that way involves a bulldozer driving through some listed buildings and national parkland, leaving a trail of pollution that negates any chance of salvaging anything worth while from it's wake

six and a bit out of ten.

Edited by Lord Spark of House Spark

It seems silly to claim she was rescued by Drogon - they share a mental connection. He is a part of her and she is a part of him. He came because she summoned him, consciously or subconsciously. She then pulled a spear out of his neck and when he challenged her, she stood her ground and then flew off. She rescued herself.

I mean, how many times has Jon been saved by Ghost? Is Arya's escape from Harrenhall somehow less impressive because she had Nymeria's help? Does Bran's journey not count because he has constantly being helped by Summer? It's the same thing.

so Dany is a warg as well?

so Dany is a warg as well?

Not necessarily. I know that has been brought up quite some times in the forums before.

Does she have a deep connection with her dragons, definitely. Regarding the show I rated it a 8.

I liked it, it was controversial in regards to Shireen's burning but that's not surprising. The innocent always die in war.

And it's Game of Thrones, Bran for an example was pushed out of a high story window for an example.

Loved the ending with Dany flying away. I wonder if the Second Siege of Meereen will be shown with the Iron Fleet though.

I'm sure you got the point and yet decided to make that dumb joke.

I actually forgot which thread :) but I did see the exact "Wtf? Daenerys need saving? Pathetic"

In response, should Dany have taken a sword and wore a helmet and kick some ass?

Tyrion itself was unbearable. I would have killed myself if Dany held a sword.

let me start by saying that i loved the scene in the show there is no way they can do it like the same as in the books

that being said ...go read the books or read what exactly the complaints are for that scene ..instead of just bashing the dany fans and throwing insults at them ..you have not read the books and you really dont know what you are talking about ..so stop throwing insults to the things you know nothing about

understand first what they are trying to say and then complain

That's not entirely fair, though, is it? It is billed as a Drama. It is advertised among other dramas. When nominations for awards come around it is in the Drama category alongside such shows as Mad Men et al. Don't misunderstand me - I'll always have a soft spot for GoT, big daft mess that it is, but people are bound to compare drama to drama - even more so if the show categorises itself as such.

I think it is under Television Drama on Reddit, I'd have to double check to make sure.

It definitely won Emmy awards for Outstanding Drama Series and Peter Dinklage won for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.

I gave it a seven.

I enjoyed the plot but there were various things I didn't like:

• It was too easy for Ramsey's men to get in and burn Stannis's camp - I know they weren't expecting an attack but still.
  • Stannis's decision was totally at odds with the character that they've been showing, and his wife's sudden remorse was also out of character. I know that they wanted to have the shock value of it, but showing the conversation between Stannis, Melisandre and Selyse could have shown the anguish in Stannis's decision. I hope it was worth it for him.
  • As good as the fighting pit scene was there were a few negative moments, the fighter waiting an age to kill Jorah, allowing himself to be killed in the process. Expecting to believe that Jorah is a javelin expert as well. How long the SotH waited to attack when they encircled the group (I know in real life each person would be nervous and those rushing forward were getting picked off. How poor the unsullied seem in fights constantly. They are supposed to be the best soldiers around, the way they are described you would expect them to win with odds 5 against 1, yet it seems that just 1 on 1 they can't cope at times. Then there was the poor CGI/green screen effects once Dany got onto Drogan's back, they were so poor that it took me out of the scene completely. (Oh and nice of her to leave her friends behind, presumably still surrounded by enemies).

That said there was still plenty to like. Not least just how good of a young actress the girl playing Shireen is, her death is a massive loss to the show imo. The scene with Jon and the wildlings waiting to come through the gate was perfectly done, and I called it earlier in the season but good to see Arya running into Ser Meryn. Also Drogon looked really good before Dany fancied a flight. Also bravo for a brothel scene without nudity!

I said it to my friends after episode 8, I think episode 10 will be more climactic than episode 9 this year and I still stand by that, looking forward to it... FTW!

gave it a 8. what put me down was the cheezy dragon stuff at the end of the episode. damn did it look ugly and out of place... i really hoped D&D would have avoided anyone riding a dragon, it had to look stupid.

i liked the tension of shireens burning it really was hard to watch. to be honest i feel relieved i dont have to see her greyscaled face again but she didnt deserve this gruesome death. glad shes gone though.

Edited by GilletteMace

After a rewatch I changed from 6 to 7. I still thought the Ramsay invasion was really lazy and the dialogue between Dany/Daario/Hizdahr/Tyrion was silly (only Hizdahr was making any sense yet the other three shitting on him for no reason while Daario basically sticks a knife up to his neck and no one cares - in fact Dany is turned on). I felt better about the Braavos scene as well as Daznak's Pit on rewatch.

Finally got a chance to see it. Gave it 7/10.

I'm probably not in the right frame of mind to be watching it right now (lunch break on a Wednesday), but that said, the episode just wasn't clicking for me. It just felt like nothing was happening, except for Stannis and Daznak. Stannis the character I'm disappointed in, but the scene made sense given what we know; so that's fine. Daznak, while visually kind of cool, just wasn't doing it for me.

I give it a 6

Hardhome was the only episode I really liked this season. I don't think this episode was "bad"....it just lacked quality, as almost all of season five has, and the Shireen scene was awful. So much for Stannis now. I hope Winter buries him along with the Boltons.

Finally got a chance to see it. Gave it 7/10.

I'm probably not in the right frame of mind to be watching it right now (lunch break on a Wednesday), but that said, the episode just wasn't clicking for me. It just felt like nothing was happening, except for Stannis and Daznak. Stannis the character I'm disappointed in, but the scene made sense given what we know; so that's fine. Daznak, while visually kind of cool, just wasn't doing it for me.

I have to agree for the most part. Show Stannis had his moments but he failed to be a really dynamic character. The pit scene while having good visuals felt very contrived. It didn't seem realistic that the Harpies would have outnumbered Danys guards. Also why didn't they have better weapons? Then when Drogon shows up they suddenly have spears, left and right.