[Poll] How would you rate episode 509?

Ran

How would you rate episode 509?  

980 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Wise words. No need for anyone to be personally offended if other people have different views or beliefs about some series, it's all just opinions and no one's is better or more "right" than someone else's.

Absolutely! All this arguing gets tiresome. There are those who love the books and think the show is butchery. Fine. There are those who love the show and thinks the books aren't all that brilliant, or maybe don't even read them at all. Fine. We should ALL be allowed our opinions without carping at each other. As your old Aunty Drogon, I feel like banging heads together sometimes...... :D

I gave it a 10 - the Shireen scene was heartbreaking, but not unexpected and I loved the Dany moments. I cried at both - I've now reached the age where my bladder is too close to my eye (as my old Gran would say) but I don't give a bugger. The show can still move me at times. Pax.

I didn't mean Gendry, I meant relevant storylines such as Dorne, Iron Islands, Griff and Young Griff, a more complex Meereen, and this could easily be solved by cutting countless pointless scenes in this season (Grey Worm and Missandei; Olly; Sand Snakes). I do not aim to look for the bad things in the show, nor do I expect a 100% adaptation of the books, but there is no doubt the show has had a drop in quality compared to season 1's almost cinematic quality. What made the show so popular - complexity and heavy characters' moments - is so sparse now. I understand that there are much more people watching the show now, but is it a reason to drop the quality? Truly, can Loras be more than a generic gay knight? (I hope you get my point.) This is what I meant when I mentioned the quality of writing.

Iron Islands in my opinion was horseshit. Pure garbage. Seems some people like it. I wager in the end all the 824 of sociopathic pirates that were apparently only introduced to give Dany's dragon's an achilles heel will not amount to much. On the other hand I quite liked the premise of Griff, a "royal heir" made to live with the people and have all sorts of professions to better become a ruler as a nice juxtaposition to Dany's self entitled righteousness, but then again, when they landed to Westeros he went full on teenager vanguarding and storming every castle by himself. So probably he will simply be killed and the whole subplot would be a pointless detour. The next meandering subplot of the THIRD bunch of merry adventurers (besides Tyrion taming pigs and Griffs fishing) travelling to Mereen only to be eaten, well, was that a showcase of good writing? The whole storyline could have been written in three paragraphs of dialogue istead of wasting, what, four chapters of the book?

And pretty much everyone hated the more complex (read: longer) Mereen in the books. So, there.

This is self-indulgence and it is what the show has done away for quite well. Even if it is not self-indulgence it is still massively long time to waste in introducing new charaters without that compelling storylines only to be killed off. That the Dorne even exists in the show is probably because they end up being some kind of players in the long run. It also makes sense as they are the only ones that have some sort of money and power backing them aswell.

Nobody cares at all about Jon being north of the wall. It made better TV, and therefore worked. My unsullied husband barely knows where Bravos is, so please just drop it. It was a cool moment and made you wonder whether they would be let through. It worked. Get over it.

It was really stupid, just so they could add some contrived drama. I'm glad it worked for you, but some of us expect more from an emmy-nominated TV show.

Not bad. I'll give it a 7.

There was a lot that felt quite clunky - meryn trant, dorne, the pit etc - but it was entertaining overall. I'm getting used to the massive deviations from the books, it really is fanfic now, as many have said.

Hoping for a worthy finale, but quite unsure that we'll get it.

How does the contagion work? Jorah's wrist is infected and showing symptomatic lesions. His hands are fine. Presumably hand touching is OK, but had to wrist would be a problem, unless asymptomatic stretches of skin can still transmit the disease.

If only the visible area were affected, then lopping off an arm would cure the disease. But it was said in the books that a person who sacrificed a limb would often end up with nothing left to chop off, and then die anyway.

I don't read the books so I don't know what side of the wall he was supposed to be on?

What side were they supposed to arrive at?

He had a fleet of boats. He could have landed

A) North of the Wall where the Army of the dead is, or

B.) South of the Wall where at a Night's Watch fortress called 'Eastwatch-by-the-Sea' that he himself was in command of and could get supplies and aid their march to Castle Black protected from the Army of the Dead by a 700 foot wall.

Even more convenient is that Eastwatch-by-the-Sea is a safe harbour for the fleet and is where it was anchored for him, and to where it would be returning after dropping him ashore.

Edited by Ser Desmond Wine's Bane

Iron Islands in my opinion was horseshit. Pure garbage. Seems some people like it. I wager in the end all the 824 of sociopathic pirates that were apparently only introduced to give Dany's dragon's an achilles heel will not amount to much. On the other hand I quite liked the premise of Griff, a "royal heir" made to live with the people and have all sorts of professions to better become a ruler as a nice juxtaposition to Dany's self entitled righteousness, but then again, when they landed to Westeros he went full on teenager vanguarding and storming every castle by himself. So probably he will simply be killed and the whole subplot would be a pointless detour. The next meandering subplot of the THIRD bunch of merry adventurers (besides Tyrion taming pigs and Griffs fishing) travelling to Mereen only to be eaten, well, was that a showcase of good writing? The whole storyline could have been written in three paragraphs of dialogue istead of wasting, what, four chapters of the book?

And pretty much everyone hated the more complex (read: longer) Mereen in the books. So, there.

This is self-indulgence and it is what the show has done away for quite well. Even if it is not self-indulgence it is still massively long time to waste in introducing new charaters without that compelling storylines only to be killed off. That the Dorne even exists in the show is probably because they end up being some kind of players in the long run. It also makes sense as they are the only ones that have some sort of money and power backing them aswell.

It seems like you didn't like AFFC/ADWD. :D

Well, it is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

One of my Unsullied friends almost stopped caring for GoT and he hasn't read the books. Seems like Obvious Olly and simple Dorne weren't an ideal replacement for actual storylines from the books. (Also, there is more to the Ironborn and Quentyn than the fact that the Ironborn provide Dany with ships and that Quentyn gets burned but that should be discussed in another topic.)

He had a fleet of boats. He could have landed

A) North of the Wall where the Army of the dead is, or

B.) South of the Wall where at a Night's Watch fortress called 'Eastwatch-by-the-Sea' that he himself was in command of and could get supplies and aid their march to Castle Black protected from the Army of the Dead by a 700 foot wall.

Even more convenient is that Eastwatch-by-the-Sea is a safe harbour for the fleet and is where it was anchored for him, and to where it would be returning after dropping him ashore.

But that's all book knowledge, isn't it? I'm not sure if that information has ever been provided in the show. In the show, seeing as how Stannis's army came along the north side of the Wall, it's barely arguable that travelling along the north side made more sense. But to me it's another example of the show's occasional carelessness over relatively easy things to get right - if Jon and co had simply left Castle Black along the north side of the wall in the first place, I wouldn't have registered the return on the north as weird. But the fact that they left from the south side, and then came back along the north side, made it jarring.

Maybe they were spooked by white walkers and needed the wall in case they were followed?

I have no idea where they are, which direction this place is or that place.. all I know is when I'm watching the show it doesn't really matter to me as long as they got there somehow.

A 7.

- North

Was that fake drama in front of the gates of Castle Black really needed? And Olly again?

And Ramsay special commando unit burning down half of Stannis's camp without even being seen? I was really close giving this episode 1/10 just because of this.

However Wun Wun was awesome.

Shireen burning was heartbreaking but expected.

- Dorne

Awful as always. However, Doran was good.

- Meeren

All in all, it was good. For an HBO CGI, it was good. Drogon and Dany moment was emotional.

However that Jorah sniper accuracy with a spear was too much.

And I'm not comparing show to the books anymore, the stories split their courses so much that there's no point doing that anymore.

But that's all book knowledge, isn't it? I'm not sure if that information has ever been provided in the show. In the show, seeing as how Stannis's army came along the north side of the Wall, it's barely arguable that travelling along the north side made more sense. But to me it's another example of the show's occasional carelessness over relatively easy things to get right - if Jon and co had simply left Castle Black along the north side of the wall in the first place, I wouldn't have registered the return on the north as weird. But the fact that they left from the south side, and then came back along the north side, made it jarring.

That is a good point.

Note also that the boats they borrowed belonged to Stannis, who had his army North of the wall in episode 410. I would say that, in show, the port of EastWatch is north of the wall, or at least allows access to either side of the wall.

So I hear the new name for the show next year is going to be "Everyone Hates Stannis".

I thought Jorah was supposed to be a great fighter, all of his scenes this year have been of him being lucky rather than skilled.

Ths Sons of the Harpy have to be the worse fighters ever when it comes to tactics.

Not a bad episode, Ill give the Dragon an 8 but the show only a 7.

But really. That episode was shit.

I have to upvote Unbowed and the other episodes I gave low ratings so that this one is in relation to them. All to scale.

The cgi was really good. There is no opinion or disagreement/agreement on that. It simply was well done for a tv production. And the dragon finally looked like a dragon, not some childish lizard. He wasn't funny, he was serious business.

But the story was horrible.

Some scenes start well directed, but as soon as dialogue comes or actions, it is unbearable.

Melisandre didn't see the danger coming?

Stannis doesn't know about the Dance?

Selyse protects Shireen instead of Stannis shoving her and saving his ONLY HEIR!?

Ser Pedobear in Braavos was too long and boring. And again, men=absolute evil. Can't there be some men that aren't evil? Sure Trant was one of the worst, but still, all of the men in their adaptation that aren't major characters are evil.

The inside the episode infuriates more though. Pure lies. Be ashamed HBO. Be very ashamed of yourselves.

That is a good point.

Note also that the boats they borrowed belonged to Stannis, who had his army North of the wall in episode 410. I would say that, in show, the port of EastWatch is north of the wall, or at least allows access to either side of the wall.

But the point is that they could have sailed past the Wall and returned to Castle Black from the south. Unless the Wall goes through the sea and can't be sailed around?

Right, if they got *to* the ships southerly via The Gift, then returning *from* the ships the same way was obviously an option.