Can we stop giving Robb problems for not backing Stannis? After 5x09?

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU. put spoiler and shut up about the show. I never wanted to see that.

eff the show! benioff can sit on a weir wood!

There is no spoiler in the thread title or the OP

This has been teased forever in both the books and the show.

Lots of things are teased and then never seem to come to fruition. Like Sansan :(

Robb is dead and Stannis is alive. Robb put himself in a strategically unwinnable situation by choosing to declare the North independent. Need I go on?

Robb and the rest of Westeros would have been in a much better situation had Stannis not interfered at all.

book people are good to rant about the show their is nothing wrong in that. But if by any chance if show guy told them any truth about the writer of the book and they do not like it, they would say that belongs to show subforum. Great standards

Clearly we can't say any seemingly post-ADWD events in the show's 5th season can give us a look in to the TWOW. But some of that stuff could show us what may happen in TWOW. I think Stannis is a maniac and I'm glad Robb didn't back him and I no longer feel Robb was wrong to support the North seceding over supporting Stannis

For such an important character (Ned died for his claim), I can't imagine the show is going to turn him into a monster if the books aren't going to do that to Stannis

Completely agree. I could see this happening to Edric Storm, many people in real history have killed potential heirs to the throne, and Storm or Gendry even could have had a claim to the throne albeit a small one. So killing those 2 makes sense from that aspect. But burning Shireen is unforgivable.

The Ned would have NEVER followed him after that, and Robb was right to break himself from him. Renly would have made a better King than Robert and Stannis, and had Stannis not used this dark magic woman to murder his brother, Renly would be on the throne, and Robb would rule the North from Winterfell.

Robb and the rest of Westeros would have been in a much better situation had Stannis not interfered at all.

I know and Robb and Jon would have kicked white walker ass together as Lord Commander/ leader figure of Wildlings (?) and the King in the North. :frown5:

Umm why are people complaining about "spoilers" I could've sworn this was a show discussion thread it clearly says 'Season 5 Ep 9: The Dance of Drangons' & "After Ep 9" in the titles

Admittedly I originally posted this in the book forum because I felt this episode gave us a good sense of direction on where Stannis is going in TWOW. There was no spoiler in the title though, nor in the content of the OP

I see Robb get a lot of flack for not supporting Stannis. I wanted to see if Stannis' insanity showing through has had an effect on people's feelings on this issue

"When George first told us about this, it was one of those times that I remember looking at Dan, and going, god, that's so horrible, and it's so good, because it all comes together in a story sense. From the very first time we meet Stannis and Melisandre, they are sacrificing and talking about king's blood, and the power it contains, and it all leads to this, to the sacrificing of Shireen." - David Benioff

For show Stannis It may fit. but I doubt Stannis Burns Shireen in WOW. They are talking about working on the show story. If your given trash, at least try to gussy it up....

It's funny that people are trying to say that it doesn't have to happen in the TWOW because of the pretentious book > show attitude. Get off your high horse. The show creators literally said GRRM told them about this scene.

Stannis is near winterfell. He'd have to fight the battle... Win.... and then March All the way back to Castle black in a blizzard. Decide to burn Her.... on top of the chaos that already happening at the wall with jon's death... Maybe in a dream of spring, but not in WOW.

We, as viewers and book readers, might know all the details but Robb only knew Stannis was the heir with the rightful claim. If anything, Catelyn hearing Stannis say Robb's "day will come" was all the evidence needed Robb should not ally himself with Stannis. Not while calling himself King in the North at least.

I know and Robb and Jon would have kicked white walker ass together as Lord Commander/ leader figure of Wildlings (?) and the King in the North. :frown5:

This would have been awesome. I know George loves being unpredictable, and the show loves being edgy, but sometimes if we simply got what we wanted, I do think this series would be better.

Someone should capitalize on the distaste ASOIAF/GOT eventually raised out of a lot of fans or former fans, and write a fantasy novel that isn't necessarily cliche in having the good guys always winning, but offering a story that stays away from becoming cliche in the bad guys always winning and "good" characters always having their teeth kicked in

There's got to be a viable balance between the two. Perhaps ASOIAF finds that balance in books 6 and 7, but I think the tv series killed that balance with season 5

Archived