Does Stannis still have your respect?

Well, let's see. Did show Stannis lose my respect? No, of course not! I never had any respect for him in the first place.

That being said, Stannis in the books... well, I have no respect for him there either, but I do find his character more amusing and interesting to read. I feel confident he will be revealed to be just as much of a jerk in the book future as he is in the show. Shades of Caligula, there (via the Kitty Kelly of his day, Suetonius).

One more thing: I do think Stephen Dillane is doing a fantastic job as Stannis, so props to him. Not his fault show Stannis is a complete douche canoe.

He's always been a loser. He's never gotten what he's wanted and never will. No one likes him. Killing Renly, believing in Melisandre's prophecy, is exactly why he lost the Blackwater battle. And still he believes in her foolishness. He waves that sword around like he's Azor Ahai but he's not. How will his lightbringer word against the ice cold blade of an Other? So what he knows about the true threat in the north when he's ill equipped to fight it?

As for the Iron Bank, they hated the Valyrian dragonlords, the ones that practiced slavery. Daenerys is the complete opposite of that. Imagine how they will react to a Targaryen that wants to put an end to the slave trade, that has already done her best to disrupt it. A Targaryen with a better claim and better chance of winning the Iron Throne than someone like Stannis? Stannis is the blue eyed king who casts no shadow. He has seen a king with a crown of flames burning to death in one of his own visions. The man is doomed. To support him is folly.

EDIT: Those northern lords want a Stark, not Stannis. Once again Davos is the one putting in the hard work. He told Stannis to go north to fight the real fight. Wyman Manderly put the task of finding Rickon in his hands. As much as I find Davos' chapters dull, he's the one I support over Stannis. He's the true steel.

Actually by anyone's metrics he's had a stellar career. Held Storm's End for a year and secured his brother's victory by dividing Royal forces. Built a fleet from scratch and stormed Dragonstone. Destroyed the best fleet of the best sailors in all Westeros (and perhaps the world) after they'd been winning left and right. He managed to use force multiplying magic to assassinate his idiot brother (rightly I might add, given Renly had no qualms about killing him come sunrise and made sport of what to do with his body), then used it again to secure Storm's End and a new base of operations on the continent, both at the cost of not a single soldier. He then took in his brother's wayward bannermen, integrated them into a fleet composed of Royal Navy vessels, sellsails and pirates, brought them to the walls of kings landing. Even with wildfire decimating his vanguard and his plan shot to hell, he managed to ferry troops in a concerted attack that had the Great God GRRM not intervened on behalf of the Lannisters, he would have won.

After this defeat---which again was nearly a stunning victory in face of crazy odds---he pulled his shit together when Davos told him about the Wildling invasion, took a battered army of only 1500 men, inspiring them to cross 2,000+ miles of ocean and 500 miles of tundra to defeat an army twenty times their size. Having smashed the wildlings and saved the Wall, he then managed to make a settlement allowing the wildlings to pass through and supply manpower for the Nights Watch. He then, contrary to his own anti-social disposition, managed to win over several major Northern chiefs one after another, enough so that his army swelled by 3000 more men and he retook Deepwood Motte with ease, winning over those Northern lords you said don't want him. He sent Davos to do his diplomatic work in the east while he struck out for Winterfell at the urging of the Northerners, but also because it was the right thing to do given the groundswell of support and the keeping of "Arya" there.

He managed to march almost all the way there, even hampered by some insane northern blizzard, and even with all the starvation of his army, the general hopelessness of the situation, he pulls his shit together, uses good intelligence to find traitors in his midst, secures the Iron Banks loans (and no, they don't give two shits about Daenerys, and wisely given that Daenerys's track record at running a city state---let alone a kingdom the size of South America---is spotty at best. She's also not heading to Westeros. She's got things to do, sellswords to impress with one breasted dresses. You know, stuff ;) ) and manages to turn the icy terrain from a disadvantage to a tactical trump card. He's also about to get the support of Wyman Manderly and every other Northern house once the Boltons are bloodied enough for them to make their move. They want a Stark, they don't care if he's not King Stark, just that he's Lord Stark. And Stannis's man will ensure that happens. Together they're a dream team. They're Robert and Ned minus the whoring and poor decision making.

Anyways, you are so wrong it hurts. As for no one liking him :rofl: :rofl: Two ROFL emoticons for you.

They want a Stark, they don't care if he's not King Stark, just that he's Lord Stark. And Stannis's man will ensure that happens. Together they're a dream team. They're Robert and Ned minus the whoring and poor decision making.

I don't think its that simple..... its not a fairy tale after all

I don't think its that simple..... its not a fairy tale after all

I was being a little cheeky. Most of the effort was directed at the "Loser" jape. Its a rather stupid argument to make given the collected evidence. Anywho, I am tired and hereby retire from this board tonight, adieu :)

Not a surprise, considering just how well things are going in Slaver's Bay...

I was going to retire, but this made me crack up so hard, Yep, Slaver's Bay, that place where Daenerys stormed in, freed the slaves and turned everything into magical progressive Targaryen fantasy land where Dragon's munch on free range sheep (no growth hormones, raised in humane circumstances and certified Little Ghiscari Shepherd Girl Free), war and poverty have been abolished, a strong and stable political system has been left in her wake that will stand the test of time, disease is unheard of and people are not trying to sell themselves into slavery to escape the living hell their lives have become.

Yep, that Slaver's Bay ;)

He never did.

I always remembered Mycroft Holmes quote "There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity"

He was praised as the best battle commander, yet loses his fights.

His intro itself showed he was not intelligent, he is stubborn.

I actually hated him.

Glad this happened to show he was a mad prick.

:rofl: A loser who's alive, who's winning ATM (he's sitting on an alliance of powerful Northern lords, some of whom he's not even aware of at the moment, has access to the Iron Bank, has the best non-Targaryen claim to the throne and is also currently the only lord bringing any sort of order and justice to the North), has done the near impossible with limited resources and probably saved mankind by preventing the massacre of the Night's Watch that would have left the realm open to Other invasion.

He's also the only lord in Westeros who both believes in and gives a crap about the impending Other invasion. So yeah...you are made of wrong.

All thanks to Jon Snow and his far superior military plans.

Stannis never had my respect. The guy was always a dick. He let a demon version of himself kill his own brother. He tortured his nephew. He cheats on his wife. Why would anyone support this guy? The reality was that Shireen was always going to burn or Davos was going to save her and he was going to be punished for saving her. The real story is how does Davos react to Shireen's burning? If he stays the humble servant, he deserves the shit fate that Stannis will get. If he abandons Stannis, then there is hope after all.

I have never understood the Stannis love on this Board. What he did to his own brother turned me against him way back when.

However, GRRM has an amazing ability to really change his readers' opinions about characters, being able to totally turn around the feelings people have had for some of them. I loathed Jaime Lannister for quite a while....

Stannis never had my respect. The guy was always a dick. He let a demon version of himself kill his own brother. He tortured his nephew. He cheats on his wife. Why would anyone support this guy? The reality was that Shireen was always going to burn or Davos was going to save her and he was going to be punished for saving her. The real story is how does Davos react to Shireen's burning? If he stays the humble servant, he deserves the shit fate that Stannis will get. If he abandons Stannis, then there is hope after all.

The book Stannis just took 3 leechs that was used on a medieval-like medical treatment on Edric.... but in the show they took by force, and I agree that was torture, but again, D&D characterization

I didn't like Book Stannis either. Anyone with that sense of entitlement who is willing to even entertain the idea of burning children isn't someone I can rally behind. With Jon Snow, he has always done what is right even when he faced great peril. I can admire that. Dany is basically a kid trying to navigate an adult's game with mixed results. I am ok with her making mistakes. Book Stannis or Show Stannis... entitled asshole.

I have never understood the Stannis love on this Board. What he did to his own brother turned me against him way back when.

However, GRRM has an amazing ability to really change his readers' opinions about characters, being able to totally turn around the feelings people have had for some of them. I loathed Jaime Lannister for quite a while....

*You mean the brother that ordered his men not to take Stannis alive?

It was a war and a nasty situation. It's not his shining moment. But it's hardly a moral event horizon to kill someone with an army more than willing to kill you.

*EDIT: It was the book he did that. Even the gentler, kinder Renly from the show still raised an army to kill anyone who opposed him.

Archived