[Spoilers] Hizdahr

Maybe there isn't a Harpy (in the show, at least).

If it wasn't for the fact that Daario was away in Yunkai with Hizdahr when the Sons of the Harpy started their attacks, I'd currently be very inclined to think that Daario was behind them. He said that he wanted Dany to slaughter all the nobles when everyone was assembled at Daznak's Pit - and I think that's exactly what just happened. It seemed like a lot of the people attacked by the Sons of the Harpy were wearing clothing typical of nobles. Plus, there's the fact that they murdered Hizdahr. Of course, there are a few other points against this: Daario fought the Sons of the Harpy, plus they were trying to kill Dany. Also, he looked a bit surprised when Hizdahr got murdered, but that might've been because it happened just as Hizdahr was trying to show them a way out, and Daario was surprised that Hizdahr was still genuinely trying to help Dany. If Daario was the culprit, I feel like the actual purpose of the Sons of the Harpy would be to make Dany crack down on the nobles (who she thinks of as being behind the SotH), resulting in Dany becoming the butcher Daario feels that she needs to be. In his mind, he'd be able to protect her from any attacks, so she'd make the through the day. However, I just can't get past the fact that the attacks started while he was away...

Still, Daario at least had a bit more warning about that trip than Hizdahr. Hizdahr was just appointed as Dany's ambassador to Yunkai out of the blue, with no idea he was being sent on this mission. Thus, from that perspective, Daario would at least have more of an opportunity to set things up.

All that being said, Daario and Hizdahr are like balancing forces for war and peace (their shared advocacy of the fighting pits notwithstanding), so in a way it makes for better symmetry if both are sincerely arguing for their way of doing things without any secret tools to force Dany's hand if she doesn't heed them.

Thank you for posting this as it seems to have been lost in all the other stuff, with Hizdar dead if there is a leader then surely it's Dario, remember they were slaughtering the Meerenese masters and wanted Dany, who stands to gain from this only Dario in my eyes.

The harpy's shouldn't have a leader in either books or show. Much more interesting as a natural popular reaction to Dany's conquest than as the work of one brilliant schemer pulling the string...although the green grace probably is the harpy in the books.

In the show their isn't. Its just a group of super trained unsullied Barristian killing machines that shuffle about on the spot when they finally have the opportunity to kill Dany.

That was ridiculous. They had her surrounded, they could have rushed in and ended it right there. Maybe they didn't because Daario is their leader.

After the departure from the books this season, who can even guess? Hizdahr could be coldhands or the Hound with plastic surgery, or spiderman for all we know, this is HBO's world now.

I'm really looking forward to a eeanimated Red Viper fighting Stoneman Mormont. HBO's Game of Thrones, Season 5, is awesome.

That part where he was late and all just making sure things were in order I was thinking he was planning something... and then he got stabbed. There went that theory.

Or he could have been one of the Harpies, but got killed for mingling with Dany. You know how fanatics are. If you're not as crazy as the craziest wing, then you're treated as a traitor.

I have to admit I was looking for a clue for the identity of the Harpy this season but could be that there is none in the show version. After all, ADWD introduced a big number of new characters which left us guessing which one is the bad guy. Since tv works with a budget, it could be that they simply decided to drop the entire "Who's the Harpy" mystery.

His line about "checking on things" certainly sent up a red flag big enough that I was surprised when he was stabbed. I still don't even get what's up with the Harpies on the show. They killed more random people in the stands than they did Dany's soldiers. I thought they were supposed to be rallying the people against her.

His line about "checking on things" certainly sent up a red flag big enough that I was surprised when he was stabbed. I still don't even get what's up with the Harpies on the show. They killed more random people in the stands than they did Dany's soldiers. I thought they were supposed to be rallying the people against her.

Yeah, well you can't really think about these things for longer than 5 seconds or you'll realize that half the shit they do makes no sense. Marrying Lenny Kravitzdar was supposed to stop the harpy attacks, now they're stabbing him, random people in the stands who they're supposed to be fighting FOR, etc. Maybe they all got high on PCP and went berserk.

Archived