[Spoilers] Hizdahr

I don't even know if the show is going to deal with the leader of the Harpies. They're just a random terrorist group on the show.

show will not go into complex political stuff. so i agree.

never believed he was in the books however. it will be someone who isn't on the show. my guess always was that it has been the shavepate and that he never planned to kill her, but to make it look like someone else would so that she gave him more power. either that or the guy who poisoned the locust was the dumbest assassin of all time.

1. he chose a weak poison while we know that there are poisons strong enough that a single drop can kill anybody. his poison however didnt kill belwas even though he ate all of it. dany would never have eaten nearly that much. it is also clear that poisons are easily available.

2. he put the poison into something that you wouldn't expect dany to eat. she might have eaten one to show some respect towards meereenese culture, but even that would probably just make her stomach hurt. and besides, dany never had much respect for their culture and wasn't eager to pretend.

both makes no sense if you want to kill her, but makes perfectly sense when you just want to make it look like an attempt. someone with some inside-court-knowlwdge could even predict that belwas would eat the locusts and that the poison would be discovered this way.

Another interesting change, the wedding doesn't happen on the show. Dany is still single and ready to mingle.

Do you think she'd like some doughy middle management engineer from the midwest? Asking for a friend.

After the departure from the books this season, who can even guess? Hizdahr could be coldhands or the Hound with plastic surgery, or spiderman for all we know, this is HBO's world now.

Of course it is. Given that GRRM has, for example, written only a few pages on Sansa in the last 15 years, HBO was going to have to offer its own interpretation.

Should the show go on hiatus until GRRM decides to write again?

Of course it is. Given that GRRM has, for example, written only a few pages on Sansa in the last 15 years, HBO was going to have to offer its own interpretation.

Should the show go on hiatus until GRRM decides to write again?

No. But they should at least be consistent with their adaptative changes. Marrying Lenny kravitzdar was supposed to stop the Harpy attacks. The Harpy guys are also supposed to be for the mereneese, but they are going berserk in broad daylight stabbing everybody that crosses their path, including Hizzy. It doesn't make sense when they can't maintain consistency in their own storylines. Just like Jorah McGreyscale touching everybody and everything even though they said it's so contagious that touching objects handled by an infected person can contract the disease. Or Gendry following the left-hand coast of and island (rowing in circles). Face it, they do what seems cool in the moment for drama/shock value, and assume that their viewers won't notice these things.

His line about "checking on things" certainly sent up a red flag big enough that I was surprised when he was stabbed. I still don't even get what's up with the Harpies on the show. They killed more random people in the stands than they did Dany's soldiers. I thought they were supposed to be rallying the people against her.

Consider this. All those wealthy people who are not with the Sons of the Harpies, might be people who perhaps are unhappy with the changes brought by Daenerys, but they understand its underlying sense of justice and decided to go along with it. People who care about giving food and shelter to their family and beloved ones, and a decent future, and know they can find a way even without slavery and the cruel 'traditions' inherited from their past.

When Germany and Italy were suddenly freed from Nazism+Fascism, people who previously was in positions to commit atrocious acts suddenly went back to a normal life.. ..some of them welcomed the change as a breath of freedom and justice.. and were able to express their true nature again, whereas some others were really bought into the previous beliefs and just hid their true nature to survive in the new world.

The Sons of the Harpy belong to the subset of people in the latter group, who refuse to accept change and fight to get back the privileges and traditions they previously enjoyed. Thus, for them, every other noble in the city of Meeren who welcomes the change is an enemy, a voice that speaks of a change and principles they don't want to accept. Killing off those people was perfectly fitting, IMHO.

Moreover, the only instructions they were given were to kill off anyone opposing them.. as the changes that Daenerys would be saved from their assassin attempt were pretty low. If it wasn't for Jorah, she would be dead by now.

No. But they should at least be consistent with their adaptative changes. Marrying Lenny kravitzdar was supposed to stop the Harpy attacks. The Harpy guys are also supposed to be for the mereneese, but they are going berserk in broad daylight stabbing everybody that crosses their path, including Hizzy. It doesn't make sense when they can't maintain consistency in their own storylines. Just like Jorah McGreyscale touching everybody and everything even though they said it's so contagious that touching objects handled by an infected person can contract the disease. Or Gendry following the left-hand coast of and island (rowing in circles). Face it, they do what seems cool in the moment for drama/shock value, and assume that their viewers won't notice these things.

The promise of marriage and reopening of fighting pits just gave them the opportunity to strike directly at her.

Perhaps it is not well laid out, but notice that the Sons of the Harpy are intended to replace the army that sieges Meeren and for which Daenerys comes back with a Dothraki army.. ..that's why D&D needed them to strike back. And it would have made little sense for them to strike only after Drogon arrives, because otherwise they would look like defenders rather than attackers.

I don't get why there hasn't been some good ole police work done. Unmask the dead Harpies ask questions, link the dead to other former slave masters, round them up and ask more questions until you get to some members and then torture them until you get to their leadership. Dany's very own DHS.

That is a very good question, to the books as well.

I think Hizdahr was in on the planning of the Pit/ attack on Dany. He just didn't realize the Harpy's were going to include him to be killed as well.... Hey...was Littlefinger around?...hahaha just kidding but it is his style..

Is Hizdahr actually dead on the show? He was stabbed on the right chest, not on his heart. And he wasn't completely dead when we last saw him.

The title of the music track for that scene was 'Son of the Harpy', not 'sons of the harpy'. Maybe Hizdahr was planning this all along and was wearing mail or some kind of armor beneath his robes? Best way to survive a battle is pretending to be dead, as Tyrion says to Penny in DWD.

It looked like the harpies were killing the masters and then they killed Hizdahr. Also, I think I heard the harpies do some kind of whispering chant before surrounding Dany. If I recall, the former slaves were hissing maybe chanting when the slave leader was executed. Could the harpies be pretending to be the masters to provoke Dany? I am really confused who the harpies are supposed to be?

Archived