[Spoilers] Hizdahr

Things that had me saying WTF last night......

1. What was with the intense "Just making sure everything was OK" foreshadowing comment from Hidzar? Was that supposed to make us think he was responsible for the surprise attack?

2. And if yes, why did the Harpies promptly kill him?

3. And on that note, why have Hidzar on the show anyway if he's NOT going to be the leader of the Harpies or plan the attack? They never actually got married, so what purpose did he serve?

4. And who the f**k trained these Harpies? First they take out Grey Worm and the baddest knight in the seven kingdoms Ser Grandpa, and now that are slaughtering Unsullied with ease.... Unsullied who have been breed from birth in the arts of war? If the Harpies are the former masters, they've acquired some supreme skill sets in combat since the days of lounging around on their perfumed silks.

Things that had me saying WTF last night......

1. What was with the intense "Just making sure everything was OK" foreshadowing comment from Hidzar? Was that supposed to make us think he was responsible for the surprise attack?

2. And if yes, why did the Harpies promptly kill him?

3. And on that note, why have Hidzar on the show anyway if he's NOT going to be the leader of the Harpies or plan the attack? They never actually got married, so what purpose did he serve?

4. And who the f**k trained these Harpies? First they take out Grey Worm and the baddest knight in the seven kingdoms Ser Grandpa, and now that are slaughtering Unsullied with ease.... Unsullied who have been breed from birth in the arts of war? If the Harpies are the former masters, they've acquired some supreme skill sets in combat since the days of lunging around on their perfumed silks.

I have to rewatch but I think they killed a bunch of former masters. They were killing people dressed in the fancy yellow robes. I didn't see any former slaves get killed.

Him being killed off like that I think is a symbolical end to the sons of the harpy plot, when Dany gets back her and the team are heading to Westeros. Watching the unsullied get slaughtered like usual by supposedly rich people in masks with daggers gives me great hope for her invasions success....

Hizdahr arranged his stabbing to make it look like he wasn't involved. Otherwise he would look incredibly suspicious. Arranging the Great Games was only way to get Dany out of her pyramid fortress and out into the open. And yes, I believe Hizdahr zo Loraq is the Harpy in the books too.

Hizdahr arranged his stabbing to make it look like he wasn't involved. Otherwise he would look incredibly suspicious. Arranging the Great Games was only way to get Dany out of her pyramid fortress and out into the open. And yes, I believe Hizdahr zo Loraq is the Harpy in the books too.

:agree: That makes very much sense.

My suspicion began when he turned up late. He's supposed to be her husband - and she's still the Queen. So, why would he be late for that event?

If Hizdahr survives the stabbing it might have been an act, but it didn't exactly look like a carefully placed dagger - I'd have to re-watch but I think it was chest/heart/neck region, several times. I always suspected him, but I thought green grace was the more obvious choice. Either way to be honest this is one thing I'm glad they skipped. The mystery of the harpy was interesting, but all the baggage of that story was so dense I can't see how it would have translated on screen.

I think the fact that she made genuine compromises - opening the pits and marrying into a known family - and was still rejected will at least inspire some fire and blood on her return to the city.

If Hizdahr survives the stabbing it might have been an act, but it didn't exactly look like a carefully placed dagger - I'd have to re-watch but I think it was chest/heart/neck region, several times. I always suspected him, but I thought green grace was the more obvious choice. Either way to be honest this is one thing I'm glad they skipped. The mystery of the harpy was interesting, but all the baggage of that story was so dense I can't see how it would have translated on screen.

I think the fact that she made genuine compromises - opening the pits and marrying into a known family - and was still rejected will at least inspire some fire and blood on her return to the city.

It's going to be kind of repetitive if BOTH Hizdahr and Jon are "stabbed to death" at the end of season 5, only for us to find out that they are both still alive in season 6. My money is on Hizdahr being dead for realz in the show - without Barristan to do all his stuff as per the end of book 5, the show can skip straight on to Mormont, Daario and Tyrion leading the city until Dany returns.

:agree: That makes very much sense.

My suspicion began when he turned up late. He's supposed to be her husband - and she's still the Queen. So, why would he be late for that event?

You're very much right. We all know how D&D is dead subtle with this kind of stuff. I'm surprised they haven't stuck a huge arrow bordered with neon lights over Olly's head yet. So with Hizdahr being late, though this might be a bit more inconclusive occurring in the books, in the show, this means there's a good chance it's him.

I've rewatched the scene a couple of times and thought it was strange that it looked like only the nobles were being stabbed in the close up shots. When we get the panorama shots of the stadium, it is both nobles and former slaves. And the harpies were wearing both moble and commoner clothing, so ... very strange indeed. They just seem to be murdering people at random.

If Hizdaar managed to survive that attack then I'd wager he was the Harpy too, but the last shot of him does not show him looking like he's in a very good state ...

If the prostitute is the Harpy I'll be disappointed because they have not really done much to build her up. They haven't even explained who or what the Graces are even though they have been mentioned several times by name as an organization.

I don't know. It's all strange. Would not surprise me if they did not explain the insurgency or who is behind it, just like how Gendry is still presumably rowing in a boat somewhere.

I've rewatched the scene a couple of times and thought it was strange that it looked like only the nobles were being stabbed in the close up shots. When we get the panorama shots of the stadium, it is both nobles and former slaves. And the harpies were wearing both moble and commoner clothing, so ... very strange indeed. They just seem to be murdering people at random.

If Hizdaar managed to survive that attack then I'd wager he was the Harpy too, but the last shot of him does not show him looking like he's in a very good state ...

If the prostitute is the Harpy I'll be disappointed because they have not really done much to build her up. They haven't even explained who or what the Graces are even though they have been mentioned several times by name as an organization.

I don't know. It's all strange. Would not surprise me if they did not explain the insurgency or who is behind it, just like how Gendry is still presumably rowing in a boat somewhere.

This was the sense I got as well. The show isn't interested in the Harpies, only in the conflict they cause for Dany/Tyrion. It seems like they are not too concerned with defining who they are and what exactly they want and why they are doing it, outside of their opposition to Dany.

No. But they should at least be consistent with their adaptative changes. Marrying Lenny kravitzdar was supposed to stop the Harpy attacks. The Harpy guys are also supposed to be for the mereneese, but they are going berserk in broad daylight stabbing everybody that crosses their path, including Hizzy. It doesn't make sense when they can't maintain consistency in their own storylines. Just like Jorah McGreyscale touching everybody and everything even though they said it's so contagious that touching objects handled by an infected person can contract the disease. Or Gendry following the left-hand coast of and island (rowing in circles). Face it, they do what seems cool in the moment for drama/shock value, and assume that their viewers won't notice these things.

Was it? That was what Dany & Co assumed and that's why they went through with it. But who's to say they were right or should have been right? Extremists have a tendency not to compromise. Sleeping with the enemy or marrying them doesn't make them your friend or family. The lesson might have been in fact that not all political compromises/alliances are politically astute or savy. It works sometimes and it doesn't work in others.

It's not a simple let's marry the enemy and make them family, then all is well and good. Sometimes it's a smart move and sometimes it's stupid. The same with rebellions. Some require being put down decisively; others should be handled more delicately. Some criminals deserve mercy, others the maximum punishment. I think I've made my point.

Dany is a total outsider and if an extreme faction of the Meereenese nobility want nothing to do with her in any way, including compromise, then it makes perfect sense for them to kill anyone who stands it their way, including other noble families.

No. But they should at least be consistent with their adaptative changes. Marrying Lenny kravitzdar was supposed to stop the Harpy attacks. The Harpy guys are also supposed to be for the mereneese, but they are going berserk in broad daylight stabbing everybody that crosses their path, including Hizzy.

Regards the SotH killing people whose 'side' they are on. That's generally what happens with terrorism (and whilst they're not necessarily terrorists in the book, they certainly are in the show) - the IRA killed plenty of Catholics as collatoral damage in Northern Ireland and ISIS kill far more Muslims than anyone else.

As for the marriage, Dragon Rider is on the money. Whilst they thought the marriage would halt the attacks, that doesn't mean that it actually would.

Is Hizdhar really even dead? His late arrival (making sure everything was 'ready' or however he phrased it) followed by a curiously bloodless stabbing (although it did look like there was blood when he was on the ground twitching) leave me unwilling to call this one.

I don't know whether it is worth thinking of, but did anyone else notice that nearly all of the Harpy's victims here were Masters? I can't recall a single freedman being killed.

Yeah,but I assume that was the show being sloppy and that it has no actual plot function.

Hizdahr was stabbed at least three times. We see once in the chest, then hear another. Then hear another in the back. Last we see him, he's twitching on the ground with a big bloodstain on his chest and a pool of blood around his head. I don't think that was faked; I think Hizzy is dead. If he did arrange the attack, he wasn't counting on that part.

Then again, these books are chock full of people planning things that backfire on them badly or fatally, often due to treachery.

We don't get a reaction shot of Hizdarh's face when all the masks start popping up. We see Dario, Dany and Jorah with "WTF?" faces, but we don't see his.

Archived