[Spoilers] Hizdahr

Soth were killing anyone whatsoever because obviously they made sure none of their fellow supporters were in the stands. Just by attending the event thrown by the Dragon Queen you were acknowledging her as their ruler. They didn't just want to kill her they wanted everyone of any level in society to fear being associated with her or her associates that may survive in the future.

Anyone else notice the big b*stard harpy when they got surrounded in the pit..? and anyone else think that it was lucky they kept the spears back for fighting dragons purposes when they had the Queens small group surrounded..? would have been awkward otherwise.

It looked like the harpies were killing the masters and then they killed Hizdahr. Also, I think I heard the harpies do some kind of whispering chant before surrounding Dany. If I recall, the former slaves were hissing maybe chanting when the slave leader was executed. Could the harpies be pretending to be the masters to provoke Dany? I am really confused who the harpies are supposed to be?

Dave and Dan don't care. They just want insurgents wearing bad theater masks.

If this were a detective novel, and it really mattered who the big master mind behind the Harpy was, and if there had to be a big twist, my money would be on Daario.

1. He was the only one "questioning" Harpy members - never getting anything tangible out of them.

2. He very conveniently knowns where one poor Harpy member is hidden for him to "question".

3. He is always trying to utilize the Harpy attacks to push Dany towards his own agenda.

4. The Harpy mainly kill unsullied, who are kind of rivals to Daario's troup and his influence on Dany path to direct power.

5. Daario has access to men who might actually be able to kill unsullied in close combat. How convenient they are hidden behind masks.

6. Daario used to be a pit fighter. Who knows what agenda he has against Mereen, the nobility there. Maybe he just wants to see it all burned to the ground. Maybe he has some money riding on something. Maybe he wants to install himself as despot of Merreen. Who knows.

7. He is in the unique position to have muscle (his own troop of merry killers) and information both on Dany and her plans and on Mereen.

8. That speech he gives abotu how the fast guy can always down the strong guy by attacking weak points - that woud fit very well with the Harpy approach to toppling Dany with her unsullied and dragons, and the former masters too in one swoop

However, I do hope there is no reveal like this, but this is just for stylistic reasons. I prefer a perpetually faceless Harpy

Do people really tend to believe/think that Daario is the leader of the Harpies? LMAO.... those theories are getting out of the control. Seriously wtf.

I know right? When Jorah threw the spear Daario very clearly grabbed Dany and shielded her with his body. He was ready to die for her. Not to mention he's had about a million chances to kill her already. That's the same reason I find the theory that book Missandei is a FM silly.

It's likely there is no single leader of the SotH in the show.

I think that either there is no single leader of the SotH on the show, or the leadership will just stay in the shadows as characters we never discover. While I made a case for Daario maybe being their leader earlier in the thread, I do acknowledge that this is a bit silly. Probably part of the scariness of the Sons is not having a single leader who Dany could try to intimidate or manipulate. They're a formless, faceless group, possibly composed of low-tier, non-great-family nobles, along with ordinary, non-ex-slave citizens.

While the show was clearly misdirecting viewers at certain points to encourage us to think Hizdahr was involved with the SotH, I think this episode's events prove that his show incarnation was ultimately a tragic character. He lost his father when Dany arrived in Meereen. From then on, he seems to have decided to try to work with her, in spite of having serious reservations. That's because the alternate to working with her is fighting her... and that's would lead to a lot of Fire and Blood. But Dany's strong opposition to slavery makes it impossible for her to truly trust anyone who used to own slaves, even when they're as earnest and sincere as Hizdahr. Thus, in spite of his efforts, he never gets far. It's always an ideological struggle at one level or another, not a particularly warm or human relationship - not even when they become betrothed. I'm not sure if she even notices his death.

Daario is the Harpy and Euron in disguise and we will learn it in show and everyone will be saying that would never happen in the books and then, in a decades time, we will read that Daario was always the Harpy, Euron and the third betrayal of love that only exists as a plot point to get Dany to Westeros.

I think is rather that by next episode, they have Tyrion saying "well, we found out Hizdhar was the leader of the Harpies. Luckily, it's over now".

Don't mind getting spoiled, but not like this. :dunno:

Nah, Tyrion will start to get sus of Daario - because, you know, Tyrion is always right, even with utterly ridiculous lines, like 'just because you are eloquent doesn't make you wrong, it makes you as right as imbeciles'

Hizdahr had to be killed, he proved he was more reasonable and intelligent than the combined intellect of Dany, Daario and Tyrion - no way a character like that can be left alive on the Tyrion hour :)

While the show was clearly misdirecting viewers at certain points to encourage us to think Hizdahr was involved with the SotH, I think this episode's events prove that his show incarnation was ultimately a tragic character. He lost his father when Dany arrived in Meereen. From then on, he seems to have decided to try to work with her, in spite of having serious reservations. That's because the alternate to working with her is fighting her... and that's would lead to a lot of Fire and Blood. But Dany's strong opposition to slavery makes it impossible for her to truly trust anyone who used to own slaves, even when they're as earnest and sincere as Hizdahr. Thus, in spite of his efforts, he never gets far. It's always an ideological struggle at one level or another, not a particularly warm or human relationship - not even when they become betrothed. I'm not sure if she even notices his death.

Yes, I agree with this. Hizadar has been portrayed the better person by far on the show. better than Dany, Daario, Selmy - all of them. Remember his introduction also had him trying to explain that his father was an abolitionist - but he was always prepared to try and forgive, forget and work around the problem, for the better of Mereen. Hizadar was a tragic patriot, in show.

It would make absolutely zero sense for Hizdhar to try and assassinate Daenery before he marries her

Indeed. If the harpies have a leader, it would be silly if that leader is Hizdhar.

I think the harpies can be more likened to the sparrows, proof that the common folk, in their respective places, do not approve of the Lannisters or Dany's rule. Do uprisings really need a leader?

Dave and Dan don't care. They just want insurgents wearing bad theater masks.

Why would anyone care at this point? Does it really matter who's leading the Harpies? All that's important is that a group of people don't like Dany shaking things up and want to take her out. Not like she'll be in Essos much longer anyway.

Yes it looks like Daario is one of the 3 Treason's Dany will know...

Hizdhar from the show its a total different character... I felt bad for him in this episode. In the books all evidence point to him being a son of a gun. Either the show went a different way or Selmy was deceive by the Shavepate

I know it's been widely speculated that Daario has a secret identity (Faceless Man, Euron, Benjen, Harpy, etc.), but I've never even suspected that he's anything more than what he claims to be, a sellsword who loves to fight and fuck.

Glad Hizdahr wasn't part of the Harpy. I felt he added some critical diversity and dimension to the slave masters, showing some of them could be reasoned with (granted, this is much clearer in the show but I think it's true in the books too) but I also have always maintained that the Hizdahrs were a minority and most were committed to breaking the peace, only biding their time until the moment was right. In the books it was going to be the arrival of the vast Volantene fleet (which Yunkai had already paid for with the promise of thousands of slaves from Meereen), but since the show kept everything internal to Meereen it was changed to Dany's arrival in the fighting pits.

Pretty surprised they got rid of this character. So it looks like Meeren is going to be abandoned in Dany's arc then. We can look forward to her going to Westeros soon then, maybe at the middle of next season?

I would love for it to be early/mid season, but Dany's arrival in Westeros is a huge moment. I could see in being an end of the season thing. Episode 8 or 9 maybe. She will likely spend much of the season with the Dothraki.

It has been speculated that Daario is a faceless men (he did change his face), but he also knows Daenerys.

If he keeps playing by the GOMF's rules, then he cannot kill Daenerys, so in a needlessly complicated plan he became the brain of a group of ninjas that hate Daenerys for her freedom or something.

[/crackpot]

Anyhow, the show can only have 1 black knight ('tis but a scratch), so we can be sure that Hizdahr zo Loraq, 14th of that noble name, almost King of Meereen, Scion of Ghis, Octarch of the Old Empire, Master of the Skahazadhan, almost Consort to Dragons and Blood of the Harpy is dead.

Character thinning?

Dany is gone. She will do some soul searching, realize Meereen is a lost cause and decide to go to Westeros, which means Hizdahr really has no purpose in the story, so get rid of him so streamline the story.

I doubt that it was fake. Hopefully it is simply the conclusion of Meereen.

The Harpies sort of remind me of the Death Eaters in the fourth Harry Potter movie.

I would love for it to be early/mid season, but Dany's arrival in Westeros is a huge moment. I could see in being an end of the season thing. Episode 8 or 9 maybe. She will likely spend much of the season with the Dothraki.

Are we getting Dothraki this season or will Asha or Balon show up with the Iron Fleet? They really haven't foreshadowed anything either way. The show seem to have become adverse to Dothraki, Ironborn, Vale Mountian Men and groups like that.

The Harpies sort of remind me of the Death Eaters in the fourth Harry Potter movie.

Are we getting Dothraki this season or will Asha or Balon show up with the Iron Fleet? They really haven't foreshadowed anything either way. The show seem to have become adverse to Dothraki, Ironborn, Vale Mountian Men and groups like that.

Good question. The description for the finale just says "Dany is surrounded by strangers". That could be the IB. It would be weird though considering we haven't even heard any of the IB mention Dany yet.

I think it will be the Dothraki.

Archived