Rant and Rave without Repercussion [Book Spoilers]

Its amusingly ironic that in the show's attempt to broaden their audience, they're losing their original fan base. Echoing general sentiment, I too will be boycotting the show once this season ends.

I don't believe GRRM has Stannis burn Shireen in the books. It is totally inconsistent with his entire character.

Dorne. Ohh boy. WTF was that about? Doran should have chopped off Ellaira's head after that spilling of wine ranting BS display.

So, um, Jon comes back after a massive fight with the Others and a sighting of the NK and finds out Valaryian Steel kills the Others and he just looks sad that nobody understands him and slinks off, waiting for pint size Brutus to stab him next week?

The pit was okay, except for how the fuck did the queen not have any guards around? No unsullied anywhere?

LOLOL Thanks for the Jon observations, I needed a laugh before I retired for the night.

I watched the Inside the Episode, and I'm not seeing a discussion of what does or doesn't happen to Shireen in the books, just D&D talking circles about their writing, their ideas, in the midst of their weekly circle jerk. It's hard to follow them in a linear fashion about the show, they didn't say anything clearly about the books.

I actually have been enjoying this season overall (except Dorne) but fuck you Stannis. Why bother making him sympathetic at all if you are going to pull this shit? I am one of those who is now rooting for his death. It doesnt make sense. Why would he kill his only heir? I dont think book Stannis would do that. This is the worst thing ever. Worse than Sansagate.

Also, why did Jorah touch Dany and if Hizdar is dead does that mean hes not the Harpy? And why did they just stand there in a formation and wait untill the forst bunch got killed off before jumping in? Weve seen them use gurilla tactics before so why all the formalities now?

On the plus side, Doran manages to be the bright spot in Dumb Dorne. Alexander Siddiq will always be awesome.

I'm struggling to come up with a word that defines this episode for me. The ones that come first to mind are "hackneyed" and "lame." It wasn't terrible, it wasn't great. It just seems like a pretty sloppy episode.

Stannis' Camp
You have to hand it to Ramsay's Raiders, they sure are good at their work. They managed to burn the supply lines, all the siege equipment, and cut the horse lines without setting off a single alarm or being captured. You'd think one of them would try to slip into Stannis' tent and kill him, seeing as they so effortlessly breached the perimeter. I love how the report was of "20 men or less." Good guess, man! The whole Davos to CB thing seemed to go off so smoothly. He obviously has strong suspicions about burning Shireen (and if he doesn't, he's an idiot) but he just goes off without even an attempt at a Gendry plan. The whole Shireen/Stannis scene felt very contrived to me. Not nearly as good as the one earlier in the season. I guess Stannis' rambling about having to choose should have been deep, but it just left me shaking my head. And you can't get much more heavy-handed than "Is there any way I can help? I'm you're daughter!" What the fuck was with making Selyse come around at the last minute? Was the actress mistakenly acting out Stannis' part? The whole season she's been ready to burn her, and then they chicken out with the depiction at the last minute. I get that wanting a thing in theory and going through with it are two different things, but it seemed to come out of nowhere. The burning Shireen screams were SO gratuitous.

The Wall
Man, even for a show where half the characters own jetpacks, that was a ridiculously quick journey. They got back from Hardhome with hundreds of women, children, and presumably injured people in about a day and a half. Hey look, guys! It's Olly! In case you didn't know, he's none too happy about this wildling business! Don't worry, I think he's coming around, though. He'll probably be over it in a day or so.

Dorne
In Dorne we have another awkward characterization flip. Faullaria goes from from angrily pouring out one for her homies to crying in front of Doran to telling Jaime that she's totes cool with incest (I mean, she's Dornish after all, those pervs have no taboos amirite?) all in the space of ten minutes. Meanwhile, the Sand Fakes are playing the slap game...for some reason. Also, Trystane gets to be on the small council because being sixteen, smarmy, and having a glass jaw are totally all the qualifications you need! Meanwhile, someone stole Myrcella's necklace out of her room and Bronn gets punched for our amusement!

Braavos
Jesus, Arya really shouldn't have been given this mission, because she is the most awkward and obvious assassin to ever walk the planet. Marvel as she suspiciously pulls a bottle out and then hides it on her person right in front of her intended target! Also, apparently the most appropriate place for a high ranking official of the Iron Bank to meet the Hand of the King is on a smelly dock in Ragman's Harbor. Watch as Arya follows ten feet behind glaring daggers at Meryn Trant while still pushing her oyster cart. Mace Tyrell has a bitching singing voice, though. In case you didn't hate Meryn Trant enough, listen to him make a homophobic joke about a character that has been dead for years! Arya continues her stellar plan of standing around a brothel and gaping like a moron without a plan. Then, eventually she is kicked out. What stellar television this is!

Meereen
The best thing you can say about this section is that the fight choreography is much better than it has been for most of this season, which is good, because there are endless minutes of it! The hamfisted Daario/Dany/Hizzy love triangle conversation was so incredibly awkward. Then Tyrion got off some sick burn about Hizzy being an idiot that made no sense, but it's cool, because he is such a wise and trusted advisor now! A fighter hesitates in killing Jorah for no apparent reason. I guess he thought he was in Gladiator for a second and needed Dany's approval, even though Hizzy explicitly states that she wouldn't be able to stop it anyway. Then Jorah uses his eagle eye to kill a Harpy that somehow escaped detection by all the guards and was like three feet behind Dany. Then the Harpies just start killing...everyone? Wait, why are they doing that? Aren't they Meereenese freedom fighters? Why are they just slaughtering people in the crowd left and right? Then Hizzy gets stabbed and Jorah touches Dany because he either keeps forgetting he has the most contagious disease ever or he wants Dany to get it. Tyrion gets to bravely save Missy because Greyworm has been in the hospital for three months and he needs to prove he is as strong as he is smart. Then the Harpies surround Dany, but I guess they hit their cue too early or else Drogon was really late because they stand around like idiots until dragontime. Dany's reaction to this whole mess is of course to close her eyes and wait for death. She gets 1/100th of the badassness of the book moment where she whips Drogon into submission before flying out of the pit on a giant piece of rubber. Good times.

I'm ready for this to be over now.

I really want to know how it's inconsistent with the guy who killed his brother, and was willing to kill his other brother's son for the exact character to do what he did tonight?

Stannis isn't a good guy. He's a kinslayer. He sold his soul for the IT a long time ago and this is his all or nothing moment.

I'll post more later (I'm doing chores now) but...

there was a soap opera from the nineties that was heavily criticised because the main villain was a woman who was twice beaten by two men. The thing is that, putting aside the fact she was a woman, she was a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE human being. One of the most awful person you could met. Believe me, I would have punched her too. Twice.

Anyway, in one scene, she was about to marry to his fiancé. The same day of the wedding, she was all ready and dressed up in white and went to her uncle's room, who was also her lover (she was kinda tricked into go, but she went anyway). So, the uncle was all "go away, you're marrying, I'm sad" and she practically went all over him., They ended up in bed. The groom-to-be was tipped this would happen and when he saw them and yelled ("What the fuck??!") she said "No, you don't understand! He forced me!". The groom then looked at her and said "Really? Why you even try to defend yourself?".

This is D&D. I can't believe they still try to defend themselves :dunno:

what was the point of stannis refusing mel last episode?!

Trying to squeeze some kind of moral prevarication into two episodes, I think.

Its amusingly ironic that in the show's attempt to broaden their audience, they're losing their original fan base. Echoing general sentiment, I too will be boycotting the show once this season ends.

I'm joining the club. They butchered the story.

I wonder if the owners of the forum are still supporting D&D like they were doing before.

Can't they make the Unsullied a bit more useless? TV Show Unsullied are a joke. They were supposed to be super soldiers.

Books = Unsullied

Show = Sullied

thankyou

You're welcome. :)

Well, I suppose the last scene with Dany in the arena was supposed to be "bad ass" and we we're suppose to cheer as it happen, but I simply had no interest in it, as after seeing Shireen get burned, I felt like I had been punched in the gut after watching it. I just went completely numb after that.

I think the last scene was misplaced as I was in no mood to watch it or care about it, after that sweet kid was horribly murdered.

I'm also inclined to believe that D & D did a complete hatched job on Stannis' character. I'm sure it's quite possible Shireen will die, but I just don't see Stannis agreeing to it.

Any take on their comments about the Shireen scene?

Context, context, context. Even if Stannis is involved with Shireen's burning in the book, the context will matter. It will NOT be because Ramsay fucking Bolton torched his supplies. Like seriously, every single character is in service to this guy's arc now. How did that happen?

And IF Stannis is involved in the burning (far from "confirmed" in their comments), I think he'll manage more than a constipated look.

But like, we know right now Shireen and Stannis are in two separate geographical locations. So for this to come to pass there's already going to be a lot that's different.

I just watched the "inside the episode." Dany's pit scene was one of their favorites apparently, and yet they changed absolutely everything about it. And to hear them talk about it, they have NO idea. They're like "yeah, it's such a great moment when Dany resigns herself to her fate" (the fate they scripted), and how Drogon can sense when Mommy is in danger. Because her moment in the books had nothing to do with a reclamation of her identity.

Wow I can't believe I made myself sit through that.

this reminds me of when they said "yea needle represents revenge and is aryas way to get that revenge" they don't understand anything.

Archived