Jorah touching people while he has Greyscale?

But it was not a risk he had to take. Far from it. You don't have to hold hands with someone to save them. Especially if you have a deadly communicable disease.

You are definitely right. He could have called someone over to them to lower her off the stand instead of doing it himself. They weren't busy or anything. Heck he wasn't busy or anything either. He probably would have thought about how the greyscale that he very recently contracted might have changed the situation. That is how D&D should have written it.

I do gree that there is little reason that Jorah had to be the one to stop fighting and lower her down in the story, unless there is some reason for that. That is the only angle that I would take if I was you. The acceptance hand-hold would probably be it though.

You didn't read that little exchange very well. The point is not whether Jorah is contagious or whether Daenerys is immune; the point is that Jorah would never touch her knowing he had greyscale and there was even a remote chance that he could pass along a death sentence to her. It make no sense.

It could make sense if he knows he's contagious. He's been exiled by her twice now. He knows she doesn't love him and he knows he's going to die. Maybe he's doing this intentionally.

It could make sense if he knows he's contagious. He's been exiled by her twice now. He knows she doesn't love him and he knows he's going to die. Maybe he's doing this intentionally.

Yeah, 'cause that's in character.

Although I thought there was a window for that to happen when she kicked him out of the city for a second time, the events of this episode seem to preclude that as a possibility...at least for now.

I think on the show Greyscale infects by touching the infected area, which is why Jorah hides his wrist constantly (also to hide the fact that he has it of course).

This was my assumption as well.

You have to be touching the infected area - that's why the stone men are so dangerous. They're covered in the stuff, whereas (that we've seen at any rate) Jorah only has one small patch of greyscale.

You didn't read that little exchange very well. The point is not whether Jorah is contagious or whether Daenerys is immune; the point is that Jorah would never touch her knowing he had greyscale and there was even a remote chance that he could pass along a death sentence to her. It make no sense.

The hand touching certainly wasn't a production error, it was clearly meant to be seen and for the audience to speculate as to whether he just gave Daenerys greyscale.

Jorah is exactly the type who would touch her even though it might infect her. That was the whole point Tyrion made when Daenerys decided to banish him again. Jorah doesn't want what's best for Daenerys, he just wants her for himself. He probably deluded himself into thinking it isn't contagious, or is only if he touches her with the infected part, and in that way there is a nice resonant theme with what we saw from Stannis earlier in the episode.

I think you actually have to touch the greyscale covered skin to get infected.

Yep. And Shireen's face wouldnt allow for spread because hers is basically dormant/inactive. In other words, you could touch Shireen's face and not get it. But if someone were to touch the exact place on Jorah's arm without it being covered, they would likely get it. Its safe now, but once it spreads on Jorah to more visible areas, welp.

I actually read it 3 times in disbelief. lol

I think you're looking a little too hard for plot "holes" and not waiting patiently for the dots to be connected. There's a lot to learned when reading "between GRRM's lines"

I noticed that the show focused on that moment when Dany took Jorah's hand . . . and then they focused on the moment when Dany and Missandei held hands (close-up on their hands held together). It made me wonder if Dany may be immune (since she's a Targaryan), but she's still a carrier. In which case, I'm a bit afraid for Missandei (which is going to make Grey Worm very unhappy!).

Exactly how I seen it.

This isn't D & D being inconsistant and poor writers like some seem to thing.

But yet them being way too obvious, next week we'll start to see a pandemic in Meereen with greyscale being spread by Jorah and Missandei.

The hand touching certainly wasn't a production error, it was clearly meant to be seen and for the audience to speculate as to whether he just gave Daenerys greyscale.

Jorah is exactly the type who would touch her even though it might infect her. That was the whole point Tyrion made when Daenerys decided to banish him again. Jorah doesn't want what's best for Daenerys, he just wants her for himself. He probably deluded himself into thinking it isn't contagious, or is only if he touches her with the infected part, and in that way there is a nice resonant theme with what we saw from Stannis earlier in the episode.

Jorah WAS that type. I believe he is no longer that man. When he saw Daenerys become the MOD he was changed.

In the books greyscale is explained in more detail. The show doesn't have time for that kind of luxury, so it's been consolidated.

Jorah got greyscale because time would not allow for Griff/JonCon to be in the show.

And in the books JonCon doesn't infect ANYBODY else

Exactly how I seen it.

This isn't D & D being inconsistant and poor writers like some seem to thing.

But yet them being way too obvious, next week we'll start to see a pandemic in Meereen with greyscale being spread by Jorah and Missandei.

Possible. But, I hope not.

Too different from the books. But, if so. That would be a good way to spin the pale mare as someone said above

Jorah got greyscale because time would not allow for Griff/JonCon to be in the show.

Can we put this myth to sleep please. "Time would not permit" Griff but somehow did allow for Ros, Karl, Arya and the Hound, and a hundred scenes of fluff that have nothing to do with anything. There was plenty of time. They just didn't want to do it.

Jorah WAS that type. I believe he is no longer that man. When he saw Daenerys become the MOD he was changed.

In the books greyscale is explained in more detail. The show doesn't have time for that kind of luxury, so it's been consolidated.

And in the books JonCon doesn't infect ANYBODY else

What I mean is, due to his blind devotion to her, he hides things from her. It's was Tyrion's point that Jorah had plenty of opportunity to confess his sins, but was so afraid of being banished that he kept from her important information. This is that all over again. Now I don't think Daenerys will actually contract grayscale (but that would be an interesting twist and a great way to put a ticking clock on things), but she will definitely find out he has it and I expect he will still try and convince her that he really does love her and would do anything for her. Anything except stay the heck away after contracting a fatal disease, that is.

None of us know exactly how greyscale works in the books or the show. There is incomplete evidence and contradictory accounts, not to mention Tyrion's drowning "dream" in the infected river and all the questions brought up by that and the fact that he doesn't seem to have it. The wildlings say it never goes fully dormant, and that Shireen is (was.. sigh) unclean. People in Westeros say that never happens if the childhood form is survived. It doesn't appear to be airborne.

Connington has it, but doesn't seem to be spreading it to anyone yet. Whatever is going to happen with his greyscale in the books appears to be transferred onto Jorah in the show. My best GUESS is that one has to contact an infected spot to contract it - and not simply touch someone who has it - or it would have spread across the world like wildfire long ago.

Jumping to conclusions about plot holes and calling the showrunners morons who forgot about the greyscale or something is very premature, and reveals a lot of hate. ;p

Ugh. Look. The question is not whether Daenerys has greyscale or not. The question is why on earth Jorah would ever, even for a moment, think it was a good idea to hold hands with the woman he loves, unecessarily risking even the remotest possibility that he has just given her a death sentence.

In what universe does Jorah McGreyscale casually hold hands with his beloved Daenerys?

Answer: The universe of terrible writing.

Because said possibility doesn't exist? Because that's not how greyscale spreads? Your question makes as much sense as asking why on earth someone with HIV would ever hold hands with somebody else.

Do any of the novels actually flat out say or even hint that Targaryens have some sort of disease immunity? I've been seeing that a lot lately on this board.

No. It's just something Viserys told Dany IIRC. Plenty of Targs died in the spring sickness though, so we know it's not true.

Archived