Jorah touching people while he has Greyscale?

Shireen got greyscale from a doll. Clearly, at some stage, greyscale can be contracted by touching almost anything that has ever been in contact with an infected person. Either Jorah doesn't care about whether Dany gets the disease, or he has Grand-Maester-level medical knowledge and knows exactly when it is and is not contagious.

A quote from reddit :

If Targ blood is literally the blood of the dragon, and scales are some sort of Old Valyrian trait, I wonder if this is in any way related to Greyscale, and immunities to it. Shireen is 1/4 or 1/8 Targ (I forget). And if Tyrion is half Targ that could explain why he seems to be okay despite his exposure.

Shireen got greyscale from a doll. Clearly, at some stage, greyscale can be contracted by touching almost anything that has ever been in contact with an infected person. Either Jorah doesn't care about whether Dany gets the disease, or he has Grand-Maester-level medical knowledge and knows exactly when it is and is not contagious.

It has to touch the infected area. Even the doll or whatever object.

Jorah hasn't gone around rubbing his forearm on people. Even Jon Con only wore gloves.

A quote from reddit :

If Targ blood is literally the blood of the dragon, and scales are some sort of Old Valyrian trait, I wonder if this is in any way related to Greyscale, and immunities to it. Shireen is 1/4 or 1/8 Targ (I forget). And if Tyrion is half Targ that could explain why he seems to be okay despite his exposure.

Shireen also has Targ blood. the Baratheon line stems from a Targ bastard right?

Despite the fact that everyone I know who watches the show wondered why the heck Jorah was touching everyone when one touch from a Stone man gave him scales, I'm not sure they did that intentionally.

I do wonder about grey scale though. I mean, does it make people immune to fire? Can it effect dragons? Why is it so important? (because it is mentioned a lot in both books and show)

So who thinks Jorah will be Danys last betrayal (as per prophecy)? Betrayed for love (by hiding the truth of his condition).

I think Daario will betray Dany. There is something ive never trusted about him and I know many fans who feel the same.

Tyrion should have it too if a mere touch spreads it. Jorah touched him a number of times as well. I guess maybe we can retcon this as it not being infectious until a certain point maybe... but Jorah doesn't know that. You'd like he'd be taking more care either way.

Jorah is the one that told Tyrion not to touch people with greyscale... So out of all people he would know not to touch anyone. I think he is alright now until later stages. I hope because that would not be good for Dany unless she could stand it.

My sense is that it's only contracted when greyscale touches flesh directly. We just don't have a lot of information about it, though, granted. The stonemen whose touch had to be avoided at all costs, else the greyscale would be contracted, were pretty much greyscale from head to toe at this point, so it makes sense that any touch from them would cause contamination. Shireen's greyscale was not a threat to anyone, I'm guessing because it had been 'arrested' by whatever means through the masters Stannis brought in from all over the known world. I seriously doubt that Jorah would have put Dany at risk by offering her his hand in Daznak's pit if that meant that she would contract it.

Isn't the more important question: why does greyscale matter? For instance, why does Shireen have it? For the lolz? She is so far removed from Jorah/JonCon within the universe (plot and location) that there must be an overarching significance for the plot right?

My wild guess is that greyscale is some sort of fire shield, which would shed a new light on Shireen's burning (technically we did not see a corpse yet) AND it would be a game changer for all things Dany/dragon related.

I'm pretty sure Jorah, of all people, knows all about Greyscale. Even Gilly knows all about it, so it's probably a pretty well known thing in that world.

If just touching someone (Jorah) anywhere, spreads the disease, then everyone on Dragonstone would have it from Shireen. She was only an infant when she contracted it. Infants don't feed, dress, or wash themselves. They don't have hazmat suits on Dragonstone.

Shireen's outbreak would have turned into a pandemic, hopefully contained only on Dragonstone, and Stannis & co would all be Stonemen now.

I would think you'd have to touch the infected part. Stonemen are covered with it, so touching them anywhere is bad.

Did the doll merchant wear gloves? Did he hand it straight to baby Shireen? How long is the incubation period? Is it instant, or does it take to show up on skin, an hour? A day? No idea how soon Jorah and Tyrion ended up on that beach. From what info we have, no one else on Dragonstone seems to have contracted it.

Still, the other question is, why include it for Jorah at all, unless it's because JonCon ends up infecting people..... which seems like that would have already happened with everyone on their ship.

So...... dunno. But my gut tells me Jorah would know all about greyscale, and would never knowingly infect anyone unless he uses it as a weapon, which is why he's got it covered up.

I doubt he'd ever infect Dany, unless she turns Aerys.

Isn't the more important question: why does greyscale matter? For instance, why does Shireen have it? For the lolz? She is so far removed from Jorah/JonCon within the universe (plot and location) that there must be an overarching significance for the plot right?

My wild guess is that greyscale is some sort of fire shield, which would shed a new light on Shireen's burning (technically we did not see a corpse yet) AND it would be a game changer for all things Dany/dragon related.

That would actually be pretty cool.

1. Shireen hugged/touched people and no one ever caught Greyscale from her.

---- BUT subthought, is that because hers "stopped"??

Shireen no longer has Greyscale. She's cured. What she does have are the scars form the time she was sick, like a person who is infected with smallpox: The scars will remain even after the person is cured.

What is more, Shireen is immune to all variants of Greyscale now (or at less she was in the books).

A relevant point that non-readers may ignore is that there are three variants of Greyscale:

1.-Standard Greyscale, like that of the Stonemen. It's kind of like leprosy. Nobody survives it.

2.-Grey Plague. It's kind of like the Black Plague. Nobody survives it.

3.-Children's greyscale. It's kind of like smallpox. The less contagious and less deadly of all variants. Some children survive it, and people can often treat them without getting infected (taking the proper safety measures, of course). At least in the books children living in damp, cold places often spontanously develop it without entering in contact with any diseased person.

The scene exists to suggest Tyrion is a Targaryen! Tyrion is drug into infected water by a Stoneman, yet emerges unscathed, while Jorah, just reaching in to save him, catches it. I think Daario will betray Danny. Jorah will die either rescuing her, or early in the campaign to take Westeros, sacrificing himself for her.

And yes, in the books it explains that contact with the water should cause Greyscale.

• 1 month later...

Jorah already had witnessed one magic event at khal drogo funeral pyre watching dany come alive unburnt .

May be there is another event he may get to see.  we know that greyscale is like HIV of that world and cant be cured. May be only 3 heads of the dragon are immune to greyscale and have possible cure for greyscale. may be they are angels or healer sent by red god. what if in future we may get to see Dany doing some liplock scene or something else with Jorah as a payback for saving her life and who knows some kind of experiment unknowingly or surprisingly could turn into cure for his greyscale.   

Archived