Jorah touching people while he has Greyscale?

The point is not whether Jorah is contagious or whether Daenerys is immune; the point is that Jorah would never touch her knowing he had greyscale and there was even a remote chance that he could pass along a death sentence to her. It make no sense.

Yeah, I don't agree with the idea of Jorah spreading it with malice. And it's all nice to make fun of MRAs and claim that Jorah's a Nice Guyâ„¢ who would willingly harm her but that clashes with sanity.

Another poster (I lost it in the thread) compared it to how Jorah had an opportunity to tell the truth earlier and didn't, and that this is a parallel to that - this is a little bit more acceptable explanation, combined with "heat of the moment" stuff. The pacing in that scene where Tyrion advises Dany about Jorah is very deliberate.

It still seems flimsy, though. I feel like Jorah would have a better handle on his fight-or-flight response to keep himself from touching her. And he isn't a prole: Awareness of the disease but ignorance of how it works would dictate that he doesn't touch other people regardless if they are strangers or the woman he desperately loves.

He touches her with his hands, his forearms are completely covered by his westorosi shirt & gear.

jesus christ

@Borodin: I don't even know why you keep coming back, lol. This whole thread is a cycle of ignoring your observation (or subverting it).

dbunting, on 08 Jun 2015 - 5:20 PM, said:snapback.png

Dany doesn't have a miscarriage she has her period for the first time for ages. Getting her period for the first time since Drogo is a signal that she is probably fertile again- it is a huge event! That is why she is surprised rather than sad or relieved.

She wouldn't likely recognize the difference but to each their own interpretation. We'll see if it's ever clarified.

She wouldn't likely recognize the difference but to each their own interpretation. We'll see if it's ever clarified.

i think that we have to be sure f she's fertile, because if not I would never think that she could sit on an iron throne (no air possible)

i think that we have to be sure f she's fertile, because if not I would never think that she could sit on an iron throne (no air possible)

Queen Elizabeth did.

She absolutely would if she hadn't had a period since before her first pregnancy. She's always thinking about it in the books and the most telling thing is her reaction to the blood- like someone who hasn't bled before trying to work out what it is. It's not sadness or relief at losing a baby. She is remembering who she is & going through a healing process. It's an indication that something has changed in her, in her body as well as her mind. Maybe GRRM was too subtle, but as a woman it was very clear to me & very significant. I guess we'll see like you say :) but i doubt they will show it on TV as there has been no build up or talk of Dany needing moon tea etc with Daario.

Any information on whether or not animals can get greyscale?

Could Drogon catch greyscale from Dany & become a stone dragon?

I'm really wishing & hoping that the intentional showing of Dany taking Jorahs hand was an indication that he was finally forgiven and back in her favour.... too much wishful thinking?

Ugh. Look. The question is not whether Daenerys has greyscale or not. The question is why on earth Jorah would ever, even for a moment, think it was a good idea to hold hands with the woman he loves, unecessarily risking even the remotest possibility that he has just given her a death sentence.

In what universe does Jorah McGreyscale casually hold hands with his beloved Daenerys?

Answer: The universe of terrible writing.

Maybe he has become a douchebag and wants to kill Daenerys so no other man can have her?

Maybe he has become a douchebag and wants to kill Daenerys so no other man can have her?

Which would bean example of terrible writing. Something I'd expect from General Hospital or some other terrible soap opera.

Why can't they have had wear gloves? Problem solved. Dany isn't going to get greyscale. But having him with his hands all over her, when he's got greyscale is stupid. Put some fucking gloves on him, like he's got a brain in his head and gives a shit that he doesn't spread a communicable disease to all these people he's coming in contact with. How difficult is that? How much do gloves cost GOT?

This. Don't overthink stuff like that in the show. This is the same show that accidentally told Gendry to row in circles around an island. Continuity is not their strong suit.

I vaguely recall this- does Davos really give Gendry such horrid advice?

I just found it weird because Jorah touches Dany, and then in the middle of the pit they zoom in on Missandei and Dany holding hands. Unless that was supposed to represent something else.

When I watched it again with that in mind, I do see how that could have confused some people. Yes, the second hand close-up was them bracing themselves because they thought they were doomed.

In the past few episodes they have shown us that Jorah's greyscale hasn't spread yet, he had it covered - it's not like some "kooties" disease that spreads without contact to infected skin.

In any case, I'm under the impression that Dany can't get Grayscale anyway so it was a moot point to me, but I do see why some folks would question that.

My theory is that on the show, maybe the characters are supposed to have more knowledge about how greyscale spreads. As in, in show universe, Jorah has the certain knowledge that he won't spread it to Dany unless he takes off his vambraces and rubs his forearm onto her skin. Because I believe if how it was spread(again, on the show) was up for discussion/unknown, he wouldn't be casually holding hands with the woman he loves.

So, I think it spreads(on the show) through direct contact with the infected area, and in Shireen's case, the toy had touched an infected path of greyscale directly before coming to her.

I don't really see why there are so many angry people about this detail being different from the books. There are a whole bunch of things that have been streamlined and hugely simplified to make it easier to explain to the viewer, or just to save time. You get greyscale if you touch someone else's greyscale with your skin. Simple for people to understand. Much easier than, "well, you might get it from the water. Or possibly from touching an infected person anywhere. But not necessarily. Really, we're just not sure."

Of course, I could totally be proved wrong and Jorah infects everyone (on purpose or inadvertently) and the real war is the stone men vs. WW. ;)

Grey scale needs to be touched on the affected area. That's why it happened to Shireen's face, they put the doll in bed touching her face.

The stone men were covered from head to toe, that's why the "don't let them touch you!" command. Jorah keeps his infected wrist covered at all time, to prevent anyone from knowing.

I feel Dany taking his hand was her acknowledgement of his returning to her side. He fought back three time to get before her, and then saved her life from the SotH assassin standing right behind her. While she may never fully trust him again, he certainly has proven himself worthy of another chance.

I just had this discussion with a friend and my thoughts are this:

1. Shireen hugged/touched people and no one ever caught Greyscale from her.
---- BUT subthought, is that because hers "stopped"??

2. Are we sure that Greyscale is spread simply by touching? I thought it was more of a blood/bodily fluid type disease in terms of spreading?

3. I DID think during this scene - SWEET BABY JESUS WHAT IF DANY GETS GREYSCALE - but it would absolutely RIDICULOUS to kill off DANY of all people with Greyscale.

My theory is that on the show, maybe the characters are supposed to have more knowledge about how greyscale spreads. As in, in show universe, Jorah has the certain knowledge that he won't spread it to Dany unless he takes off his vambraces and rubs his forearm onto her skin. Because I believe if how it was spread(again, on the show) was up for discussion/unknown, he wouldn't be casually holding hands with the woman he loves.

So, I think it spreads(on the show) through direct contact with the infected area, and in Shireen's case, the toy had touched an infected path of greyscale directly before coming to her.

I don't really see why there are so many angry people about this detail being different from the books. There are a whole bunch of things that have been streamlined and hugely simplified to make it easier to explain to the viewer, or just to save time. You get greyscale if you touch someone else's greyscale with your skin. Simple for people to understand. Much easier than, "well, you might get it from the water. Or possibly from touching an infected person anywhere. But not necessarily. Really, we're just not sure."

Of course, I could totally be proved wrong and Jorah infects everyone (on purpose or inadvertently) and the real war is the stone men vs. WW. ;)

Grey scale needs to be touched on the affected area. That's why it happened to Shireen's face, they put the doll in bed touching her face.

The stone men were covered from head to toe, that's why the "don't let them touch you!" command. Jorah keeps his infected wrist covered at all time, to prevent anyone from knowing.

I feel Dany taking his hand was her acknowledgement of his returning to her side. He fought back three time to get before her, and then saved her life from the SotH assassin standing right behind her. While she may never fully trust him again, he certainly has proven himself worthy of another chance.

Yup. After all, maybe it's just people who are overthinking about everything. Your points here are some of the things I wanted to explain in the other thread. The Jorah and Dany holding hands scene simply meant to show that Jorah has finally earned Dany's trust again. As for Dany holding hands with Missandei, it is simply meant to show that they both have accepted their seemingly inevitable death at that moment and decide to go down together in a peaceful manner. Easy as that, simple as that.

But since GOT/ASOIAF fans are perhaps the most overthinking people on this planet, it can't be helped that they make a meal of this matter. Anyway, knowing how this show loves to troll people especially fanboys/fangirls of certain characters (Stannis for example), I wouldn't be surprised if Dany became a stone woman, riding a stone dragon (Drogon) in the next episode. :D

Archived