Selyse character reversal (SPOILERS)

Lets think about this point- why would D&D characterise Selyse as being protective of Shireen in her final moments if they didn't know the true reason for the burning in the books? There honestly is no point in changing her character if she doesn't do the same in TWOW. Other than the scenario which takes place in the show, maybe Mel burns Shireen for Jon (not Stannis), causing Selyse to freak out? Thoughts?

The classic argument of the head vs the heart I would imagine. It surprised me as well, but not a suspension of disbelief. Even if you think sacrificing your daughter is the right thing(separate argument), actually seeing it happen is going to horrify you I would think. Seeing Shireen burn caused her to break and her maternal instincts to take over. That was her daughter burning. That's all that mattered at that moment.

The whole motherhood overriding her beliefs. She tried to put up a good face and then broke when she saw it happen. Saw that one coming.

They did the same thing with Stannis too. Based off the rest of his past it's something that's definitely up his ally. But then they threw in the scene about the Stonemen, and him defending Shireen to Selyse, and him telling Mel he wouldn't do it. Then he realizes his situation is more dire than he thought and he goes back to what he's been doing and being the unwavering all or nothing to get what is rightfully his Stannis Baratheon.

They just reversed that with Selyse. Teased all season long that she would want to do it. Then she see's it and instincts kick in.

There is: character's depth.

It makes truly no sense for a fanatic woman who is driven by her emotions/irrational feelings, to not realize the depth of her mistake as soon as it hits on her mother's feelings.

She is 'insane' so to speak, that made her gullible and easily manipulable by Melisandre - who is cynic.

Also, her depiction is a great contrast with Stannis that highlights the lack of good qualities of this man.

I saw this coming too, I remember telling it on Google+.

Lets think about this point- why would D&D characterise Selyse as being protective of Shireen in her final moments if they didn't know the true reason for the burning in the books? There honestly is no point in changing her character if she doesn't do the same in TWOW. Other than the scenario which takes place in the show, maybe Mel burns Shireen for Jon (not Stannis), causing Selyse to freak out? Thoughts?

It's the mother's instinct to protect her child. No matter how bad Selyse is, she's still a mother and her daughter's screams seemed to awaken her.

The classic argument of the head vs the heart I would imagine. It surprised me as well, but not a suspension of disbelief. Even if you think sacrificing your daughter is the right thing(separate argument), actually seeing it happen is going to horrify you I would think. Seeing Shireen burn caused her to break and her maternal instincts to take over. That was her daughter burning. That's all that mattered at that moment.

Pretty much this. She tried to talk herself into being okay with it, but seeing her daughter in mortal peril screaming for help destroyed her resolve.

It makes truly no sense for a fanatic woman who is driven by her emotions/irrational feelings, to not realize the depth of her mistake as soon as it hits on her mother's feelings.

Excellently put. Selyse's regret made all the sense in the world. Made the scene even more hard hitting to boot.

She's been trying to convince herself that it was the necessary thing to do since Melisandre first told her about it...but there was always doubt in her voice. It finally broke through, but only when it was too late to do anything about it.

Very tragic.

Selyse didn't want Shireen to come with them north. We and Shireen are meant to think it's because she doesn't like her daughter but actually is because she knows Mel wants to burn her. It's not a change of character, it's a reveal of true intentions. Shireen works it out, she knows which parent to call to save her.

Also Selyse is weak and emo so her actions fit her character. While Stannis is ... Stannis is just an arsehole.

Like I was saying in the other thread :

book!Cat despise Jon

show!Cat love Jon, D&D even going out of their way to make her state it with a touching child illness story

book!Cersei make sure not to have Robert's babies and get his bastards killed

show!Cersei is shown crying about some lost baby she had with Robert

show!Cersei also don't order to kill his bastards

show!Karsi can't fight undead children if it was to save her life

It's just that D&D have decided that mothers can't be shown not displaying love for children, in general. It's what I'd call "positive sexism".

Only notable exception is Faullaria ready to kill a young girl to avenge Oberyn, but hey she's Dornish and people are like that in the Orient (+ Myrcella isn't that young).

Women are all reduced to the motherhood role in this stupid show if they have children, so this did not come as a surprise. If they would have been innovative or smart they would have Stannis break down at the last possible moment, only to have Selyse calling him a sissy and slapping some sense into him. Stannis was the one who liked her, not Selyse. And this whole 'just because somebody has grown into your womb you have to like him' thing is clearly wrong.

Guess its a tie in to the next episode "Mothers Mercy"...everyone has to look like a mother now..i still think Selyse will burn her in the books, she burner her own family for being non-believers, but in the book she'll believe Stannis to be dead or dying and this is the only way to save him. It wasnt too bad that Selyse of all people wouldn't be able to take her daughter's screams but I look at it more as that and not necessarily being maternal..but she did bring the child into the world and heard her first cries, now she hears the last

Of course she could be a representation of us all going "WTF? This is wrong!"

Archived