Will the real Harpy please stand up

Now that I think about it, did they ever mention that the Harpy is supposed to be the head honcho behind the killings, like an actual person? Maybe in the show they're just called the Sons of the Harpy but the Harpy is not meant to be someone, just how they call themselves.

In any case, if the Harpy is really supposed to be someone, my money's on Daario. I mean, who else is there? I think Tyrion's going to use his supposed cunning to sniff Daario out and then Jorah kills him.

i still don't know about the harpies killing meereen nobles, maybe the harpy is really the shavepate and it's a ruse by the slaves to get dany to kill off the elites? of course this doesn't make much sense either since the one harpy the show caught was a meereen noble....

so i have no idea, the show is schizophrenic and sloppy.

i still don't know about the harpies killing meereen nobles, maybe the harpy is really the shavepate and it's a ruse by the slaves to get dany to kill off the elites? of course this doesn't make much sense either since the one harpy the show caught was a meereen noble....

so i have no idea, the show is schizophrenic and sloppy.

And who sniffed out that ONE noble with seemingly magic noble sniffing powers?

And who then interrogated that very conveniently placed and attired noble without witnesses and used the "result" to push for a persecution of the nobles?

And who would gain most from the nobles and the unsullied being weakened at the same time?

And who knows Mereern like his pocket, has a history with Mereen and a mysterious past rooted in violence and chaos?

And who knows about all the movements of the unsullied and the thoughts of the Queen?

And who has skilled killers at his beck and call, and has proven before that he is skilled in subterfuge and betrayal?

And who can lead dangerous men to do dangerous, even suicidal missions?

And who would fit a prophecy about betrayal?

Can we wait for the show to resolve this strand before calling the writing sloppy and schizophrenic?

What caught my attention was this one short shot of a harpy just standing there staring at Dany and co being all ominous while his pals were already busy wreaking havoc, which to me implied that he's their leader. However, considering that no one has talked about them actually having a leader and there's no other named nobles on the show, I don't see how it could have actually meant anything. :dunno:

This is my very first post on this board, I'm just reading all the time. :)

I never picked up one of the books (and I don't plan to do so until the show is over), but I'm heavily spoilered. I click on every spoiler-tag I can find. Without you guys I would never have thought, that the SotH could have a leader. So I guess in the show there just isn't one. The Harpies work well for me without.

Even if the Harpy's Sins haven't been said to have a leader, surely they must have one (or several). It's a necessity in order to co-ordinate things like the attack in the Pit

They clearly used FB and Whatsapp to coordinate their assault. You know, just like those protesters at the Tahrir square. God, D&D are so smart to think of this parallell that is like way old but still odly relevant to this storyline. It just made sense to them creatively and they wanted it to happen! So much brilliance! :ack:

And who sniffed out that ONE noble with seemingly magic noble sniffing powers?

And who then interrogated that very conveniently placed and attired noble without witnesses and used the "result" to push for a persecution of the nobles?

And who would gain most from the nobles and the unsullied being weakened at the same time?

And who knows Mereern like his pocket, has a history with Mereen and a mysterious past rooted in violence and chaos?

And who knows about all the movements of the unsullied and the thoughts of the Queen?

And who has skilled killers at his beck and call, and has proven before that he is skilled in subterfuge and betrayal?

And who can lead dangerous men to do dangerous, even suicidal missions?

And who would fit a prophecy about betrayal?

Can we wait for the show to resolve this strand before calling the writing sloppy and schizophrenic?

I already know the show is sloppy and makes a ton of errors, so that's a given.

Darrio as the harpy is a huge stretch, the performance is one of a guy who loves Dany and is giving her heartfelt advice. There isn't any nuance there to suggest he isn't what he seems to be, so I would go with that being incorrect in both show and books.

The show probably will not resolve any of this, like why the harpies were killing nobles and slaves alike, why hizzy was stabbed, if he's dead, or why was behind it all. In the books, I'm sure the harpy will be outed, but it won't be Daario....that would be the final blow to Dany's character.

I don't mind not having the mystery of the Harpy, though it does lose something in terms of Dany's Meereenese story. I guess they've established the Harpy as the symbol of the city so it's like they're the 'sons' of their symbolic idol.

There is much that requires explanation though. What is their motivation? How are they such good fighters?

Hizdahr has been portrayed very differently from his book counterpart so I don't think SotH killing him off in the show means anything in relation to the books.

Few Unsullied friends were like "what? The Harpy is a person?" They took by surprise ALL UNSULLIED ALIKE! <O>

In any case, if the Harpy is really supposed to be someone, my money's on Daario. I mean, who else is there? I think Tyrion's going to use his supposed cunning to sniff Daario out and then Jorah kills him.

Does Daario provide any purpose besides his own penis? :dunno:

Seriously, but how incredibly SHOCKING would be having the Mr. Nice Guy slaying the one who was banging Khaleesi... WE TOTALLY GET YOU'RE NOT TRYING TO SOLVE SOME ISSUES FROM YOUR PAST, D&D WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE.

This is my very first post on this board, I'm just reading all the time. :)

I never picked up one of the books (and I don't plan to do so until the show is over), but I'm heavily spoilered. I click on every spoiler-tag I can find. Without you guys I would never have thought, that the SotH could have a leader. So I guess in the show there just isn't one. The Harpies work well for me without.

Good to have the perspective of a show-only person on this matter. Many book characters are so convinced that there's a "Harpy" as the leader of the Sons of the Harpy that the issue has been carried over in the minds of book readers who watch the show. It does seem likely that, on the show, there is no one leader. There's clearly organization of some kind, as they all strike as one and have the same masks, but that doesn't mean there's a single leader.

As a show-only person, what was your impression of Hizdahr? His character on the show is quite different to his book version, and I think book impressions have also been carried over in the minds of many.

I already know the show is sloppy and makes a ton of errors, so that's a given.

Darrio as the harpy is a huge stretch, the performance is one of a guy who loves Dany and is giving her heartfelt advice. There isn't any nuance there to suggest he isn't what he seems to be, so I would go with that being incorrect in both show and books.

The show probably will not resolve any of this, like why the harpies were killing nobles and slaves alike, why hizzy was stabbed, if he's dead, or why was behind it all. In the books, I'm sure the harpy will be outed, but it won't be Daario....that would be the final blow to Dany's character.

Well, according to prophecy she will be betrayed by someone she loves, so well, someone's gonna punk her. If they do resolve the Harpy in the show, will you still call it all sloppy? Look, I am not saying that there is definitely some great logical conclusion. I just think there could be, and am not so keen on judging a plot before it has finished. It adds to my enjoyment to give the benefit of the doubt. It seems to add to your enjoyment to cast aspersions on every part of the show. Sure, why not. I'll just hold off on discussing this plot until after the final episode then.

Even if the Harpy's Sins haven't been said to have a leader, surely they must have one (or several). It's a necessity in order to co-ordinate things like the attack in the Pit

Not really - there could just be a general feeling of ill will and anyone can take up the call of the harpy at any time, with different 'leaders' arising in different situations.

Perhaps someone just said, 'imagine if the harpy attacked at the pit' kind of offhand, without even really caring for the cause of the harpy themselves and then this became an idea that heaps in Merreen spoke about and it just happened. Revolutions can occur without leaders, it's just hard from them to have victory, or conclude, without a leader. The Harpy could just be series of riots, growing larger and ever more common as the idea continues to catch on.

I don't know if the books even have a Harpy figure. Its one of those tantalizing mysteries.

But in the show, its not going to be the same as in the books. So they will have the following options:

1) Daario -- Because it makes no goddamn sense, so perfect for the showrunners.

2) Grey Worm -- Conveniently the only guy to survive, it explains the Harpy being reluctant to attack him and using light wounds, it also explains why the Unsullied have been weak lately and why Grey Worm marched into that alley to start with. As for motivations, I don't know...doesn't matter for the show.

3) Missandei - Same as 1) and 2).

4) Varys -- This is out of the left field but maybe Varys has secretly masterminded the whole Harpy conspiracy so as to teach Daenerys lessons in rulership. it's the kind of d--k move he enjoys doing and its simple, cost-effective, timely and roundabout fashion to make it work. Varys is testing Dany, Jorah and Tyrion. And you know, it kind of elevates Varys into being the super-villain he is. It can also be a cool segue, Tyrion finds out from someone who the Harpy is, and then cut to Kevan and Varys...

Archived