What will be done with Davos now?

Stannis won't let him go as a free man. In the book his son is a loyal LoL supporter, so I think he takes the Black and leaves his lands to his remaining sons (assuming this happens as some approximation in the books). Hopefully the same in the show.

I like this!

I don't see Davos throwing in with the Starks. He has no logical reason to support a Stark restoration, being, after all, not-a-northerner. He might, if the opportunity arose, strive to rescue Sansa to atone for his failures in protecting Shireen and to rectify an injustice; I just don't see the opportunity arising. He'll learn of Shireen's death back at the Wall, at which point I just don't know what he'd do. I suspect he'd catch a ship back to King's Landing and go back to smuggling. Or drink himself to death. He certainly won't head back south again and cross paths with Brienne and Pod.

I don't see Davos throwing in with the Starks. He has no logical reason to support a Stark restoration, being, after all, not-a-northerner. He might, if the opportunity arose, strive to rescue Sansa to atone for his failures in protecting Shireen and to rectify an injustice; I just don't see the opportunity arising. He'll learn of Shireen's death back at the Wall, at which point I just don't know what he'd do. I suspect he'd catch a ship back to King's Landing and go back to smuggling. Or drink himself to death. He certainly won't head back south again and cross paths with Brienne and Pod.

I can see him becoming a broken man because of this.

I think he will switch to the Starks, along with Brienne and Pod, how long each live though is up for grabs.

Brienne, Davos and Pod are amongst the most honourable characters in the books so siding with the Starks is fitting for them. I also hope Sam will be working for the Starks as their maester by the end of the series....well, one can dream. ;)

I can see him becoming a broken man because of this.

Me too. He is a fine upstanding man, but he is that way because of Stannis; he was a common criminal before. He will have lost his actual son and his practical adopted daughter serving the monstrous king who raised him up from nothing. He cannot continue to serve him now, and having lost that service and everything that went with it, he will be plunged back to his condition before he ever met Stannis. Except now with one less son and five fewer fingers. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he took the black, and less surprised if he drank himself to death. I can't see him having a go at Stannis, too much integrity for that. But hey, maybe he'd go on a suicide mission to take out the Red Witch. That'd be neat.

It's not that I dislike house Stark or anything, but the thought of all the morally sound characters joining together makes it appear as if Dany, Tyrion, the Starks, Sam, and Brienne will all band together Avengers style to defeat the big bads.

It's just not somthing I originally expected from the story.

OK,

He can just as well be a broken man after this also.

Sansa arrives at Castle Black whiles he's there, has already heard about Shireen (or finds out then) so he isn't team Stannis anymore, Sansa reveals that Rickon is alive and Davos gets sent to find him. Brienne goes off to kill Stannis or has already done so.

It seemed kind of clear to me Davos knew exactly what was gonna happen when he left. I don't think he'll be surprised that Shireen was burned, that's why he made that last-ditch effort to ask Stannis to send her back with him to the Wall.

No way in hell did Davos know what Stannis intended. I mean, Davos didn't even really know Gendry, and he defied Stannis to save that boy's life. If Davos thought Stannis was going to burn Shireen, he would have kidnapped her and taken her to the Wall.

I think Davos made the effort to get Stannis to send Shireen and her mom with him to the Wall because Davos was afraid they would freeze or starve to death if he didn't make it back to camp in time with supplies. Also, his position has always been that the ladies had no place marching into battle with an army; it did not strike me as unusual that, when presented with an opportunity to get them clear of combat, he would make the argument.

As for where Davos goes from here...I think they're going to have him join up with Jon. And once Jon knows his destiny (I take R+L=J as all but confirmed), Davos will be his Hand (because Sam can't take a side as a Maester). They hinted at it briefly when Davos sat in Jon's office early this season and offered Jon the advise about keeping his friends close. TV Jon weighed his words and followed that advice. I think that bodes well for their future political relationship.

I know in the books it is Davos who goes looking for Rickon, but in the show, Brienne has been the designated Stark Seeker - heck, she managed to find both girls. I think Sansa will order Brienne and Pod to prove their loyalty by going to find Rickon.

Edit to add: I also like the speculation that Davos will try to take out Mel.

Your ideas are unlikely because they don't afford Davos any role in the story.

It's bad enough that Davos lost his son to Stannis's Blackwater cause, but now he lost his little friend Shireen. I'm in utter disbelief that Stannis stood by and watched his only daughter & heir burned alive. I haven't been that emotional since the Red Wedding scene. I cried for 3 days straight & wore black in mourning when my pet cat Sunny died. I couldn't even imagine sending my child (if I had a child) to their fiery death. I highly doubt that Davos will remain loyal to Stannis once he finds out what was done. Although, I haven't read the books yet, but my husband couldn't resist sharing book details. I really hope at some point Stannis, along with his wretched wife (forgot her name), and Melisandre will be tortured slowly & then burned alive. That's if the dead army (Wights & others) doesn't get to them all first.

I think this will be the final straw for Davos. How could he justify Stannis's actions from this point on? Why should Davos continue to be loyal to a man like Stannis; whom didn't even display loyalty to his own daughter?

Unsullied here and I really know little about Davos' story so just going by the show and what I've read here...

Davos reaches the wall and will find out two, maybe three things: There are nasty frozen beasties (confirmed by the battle) on the march just to the north, Stannis has lost his damn mind (literally) and killed a child Davos loves dearly - and maybe the third which is the plot of or actual or death of Jon.

Quite a lot to take in. That is a messed up day by anyone's standard. How would his character process that kind of situation?

I don't see a new quest such as Rickon because he hasn't been mentioned on the show and would to non book-readers come from nowhere. But I could see Jon making a request of him especially after receiving news of Shireene (or other news such as the Pink Letter). I can't see Jon supporting Stannis after he finds out about Sireene which surely he does along with Davos. And I definitely don't see Davos wearing an I heart Stannis t-shirt beyond this episode.

I do see him blaming Mel and can imagine a revenge plot there. Plus someone at some point needs to ask why her Lord of Light hasn't mentioned the White Walkers et al. A little short-sighted? Or maybe you all know why that is and can give me an update cuz it is a gaping hole in my mind.

So Davos perhaps stays at the wall to fight the larger battle or takes revenge on Mel or Stannis or both with an eye towards the greater good as he is an honorable man. I would be shocked if he gave-up or became a broken man.

Davos doesnt find out about Shireen at the wall. Jon gets a letter from Sansa, were she tells him about Bran and Rickon and agrees to help Stannis if Davos finds them (like Manderly in the books). Jon agreeing to help will be the nail in the coffin to give us the FTW.

I think this would be the best way to handle it but I doubt it hapens.

I think they're going to use his operating in secret (presumed dead) only now he'll be hiding from Stannis. He'll either just walk away from Stannis or he'll be actively conspiring against him. Either way, House Baratheon is effectively extinct now.

Archived