Ser Jorah & Daenerys scene

Ehhh, it's not like GRRM himself has bothered to offer a coherent account of what greyscale is, even after a couple of decades of writing and several books.

He doesn't have to because he was smart enough to not have Jorah catch it and then go hold hands with Daenerys.

In the book, JonCon keeps his covered with a glove, so yes, I think you have to touch the infected part.

This.

Like most skin infections, say the herpes/cold sore virus, you have to touch the actual sore/breakout location in order to contract it yourself. So even if someone has a cold sore on their lips, you're not going to contract it by shaking their hand, unless they've touched their mouth recently with their hand, then shook yours. So as far as book canon, Dany would have to make skin-to-skin contact with the actual greyscale itself, which right now is on the underside of Jorah's left wrist, and looked to be completely covered in the pit.

Shireen's doll had the been held recently (no idea how long the virus stays alive on inanimate objects), by someone infected who had touched the doll with their infected skin, thus transmitting the disease to her.

Stone men are covered with it, so pretty much touching them anywhere, you're screwed.

In the book, JonCon keeps his covered with a glove, so yes, I think you have to touch the infected part.

This.

Like most skin infections, say the herpes/cold sore virus, you have to touch the actual sore/breakout location in order to contract it yourself. So even if someone has a cold sore on their lips, you're not going to contract it by shaking their hand, unless they've touched their mouth recently with their hand, then shook yours. So as far as book canon, Dany would have to make skin-to-skin contact with the actual greyscale itself, which right now is on the underside of Jorah's left wrist, and looked to be completely covered in the pit.

Shireen's doll had the been held recently (no idea how long the virus stays alive on inanimate objects), by someone infected who had touched the doll with their infected skin, thus transmitting the disease to her.

Stone men are covered with it, so pretty much touching them anywhere, you're screwed.

This.

Irrelevant.

I am so gonna hate this show if anything bad happens to Missandei. Clearly, Meereen is heading towards an apocalyptic outbreak. Is it just me or is this show turning into this other zombie show.

Well, it's Missandei I'm worried about -- they made such a point of focusing the camera on Dany taking Jorah's hand, and then Dany and Missandei holding hands. Dany may be immune to greyscale (Targaryan blood and all), but she could still transmit the disease to Missandei. We'll see . . .

This.

Jon Con, of course... I always forget about poor thing. Never thought to compare the scenes with him. This makes sense to me. Hope the screenwriters keep it in mind as well.

Irrelevant.

It is very relevant.

D1: *ring ring*

D2: Hello?

D1: He David, it's me. Say I just checked the message boards and we royal screwed up.

D2: What do you mean? Let me guess: more book-purist nonsense? When will they ever learn?

D1: No. Remember how we thought it would be cool if Jorah got greyscale?

D2: Of course. It was genius.

D1: Well, remember we wrote that scene were Jorah takes Daenerys' hand while rescuing her.

D2: Ahh, frick.

D1: Yep.

D2: He would never do that. Oh my God, how did we not see that gaping plot hole? We even showed all those hand-holding close-ups to reinforce the closeness of all the characters under attack. What a disaster.

D1: Well, I got an idea. How about she can't get greyscale?

D2: Cool. That doesn't really solve anything, but let's do that. Say, have you asked the interns for any more plot advice? I'm tapped out.

Jorah is a little shit. He just finds new ways to betray Dany. Tyrion will go nuts YOU KNEW YOU HAD THIS AND YOU WERE TOUCHING ME AND THE QUEEN YOU MOROOOOOOOOOOOOOOON. Dany looks at Jorah are u serious are you freaking kidding me IS THIS HOW YOU SERVE ME MY JEOPARDIZING MY LIFE AND GIVING ME AN INCURABLE DISEASE. Jorah looks all confused WHAT DID I DO

Well, it's Missandei I'm worried about -- they made such a point of focusing the camera on Dany taking Jorah's hand, and then Dany and Missandei holding hands. Dany may be immune to greyscale (Targaryan blood and all), but she could still transmit the disease to Missandei. We'll see . . .

I had forgotten about that, but that's a good point. It could possibly be forshadowing the beginnings of an epidemic and given that they've included greyscale at all, its likely important.

That being said, while Dany may not contract greyscale, I don't think it will be due to immunity.

I can totally buy that Dany didn't get any greyscale from Jorah, much like any other disease it might not always transmit to the next person and in other cases it does. However, what I can not buy is the fact that Jorah after having gotten a potentially deadly, and most certainly crippling, skin-to-skin-transmitting disease then goes to the person he loves and adores and worships the most in the entire world, and then insists on holding hands with her, rubbing his contagious skin against hers as much as he possibly can without getting weird looks directed at him, and trying to touch her at every given opportunity, with HIS HANDS, which are just a few centimeters from where the infection started. It is just so incredibly weird. I mean, it doesn't make ANY sense what so ever, I can't understand it. Does his disease only exist when it fits into the plot, and otherwise it is to be ignored by us viewers?

Jorah is not a little shit ACTUALLY. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dany is immune to it.

I'm not going to discount the possibility, but for my part, I hope not. Dany has entirely too much plot armor already.

I think the purpose of the lingering shot was to show Dany actively putting her trust in Jorah again after the roller coaster they've been on together, not to show that she would contract greyscale. I could be wrong, but that's how I interpreted it.

This. I'll also add I'd assume you have to have infected area contact so you'd have to touch that little spot on Jorahs arm or somewhere near it to get infected rather then any contact at all. If it was any contact at all you'd ship people off the minute they get greyscale, not when it gets worse and has spread significantly over their body becoming the stone men.

Does anyone take a brief read of a thread before commenting in it? Just curious. I mean, how many times must we read:

"Well, I think you have to touch the greyscale spot directly to get it. So Deanerys is ok. Phew. I hope!"

Yeah, we've heard that idea already. How about offering something like an argument in support of that position rather than post the 78th re-statement of the position.

Does anyone take a brief read of a thread before commenting in it? Just curious. I mean, how many times must we read:

"Well, I think you have to touch the greyscale spot directly to get it. So Deanerys is ok. Phew. I hope!"

Yeah, we've heard that idea already. How about offering something like an argument in support of that position rather than post the 78th re-statement of the position.

There have been plenty of suggestions that Dany is fine. They are more reasonable than arguments about Dany being infected. Are you blind, sir?

You're the person who needs to read through, as well as quit being so rude. There has been plenty of reason given.

Like I said, an infection that is caused by contact with any part of the body (regardless of scale location), can live on in any object indefinitely, and can then be contracted from either means would more or less literally be unstoppable. The fact that Greyscale hasn't wiped out the global population makes it much more likely that there at least is some way to slow it (JonCon's glove, Jorah's wrap and bracer). Also would explain why people don't get sent to live with the stonemen immediately, but later when it has advanced and is contractable from much more of the body.

Also, what is the purpose of having the Greyscale spreading from a small area to the rest of the body if it isn't the means of transmission as well? Basically making you sicker and more infectious as it moves.

So yes, I honestly have no idea because there has been so little given in the books or tv show about the actually mechanism of greyscale transmission. There are many questions.

But to say you can't make the case that you have to touch the outbreak itself is just being argumentative.

There have been plenty of suggestions that Dany is fine. They are more reasonable than arguments about Dany being infected. Are you blind, sir?

Until we see the aftermath of that scene next week in the finale, I don't think we can say which outcome is more likely or reasonable.

Archived