Ser Jorah & Daenerys scene

I can't accept that that touch was just lazy screenwriting. These guys have done a lot of cutting and mutilating, but they haven't done it lazily. The show is a forum for HBO's politics and they never miss a chance to inject a moment of salaciousness, but characters have been fairly consistent to themselves from episode to episode (OK, maybe the way that they've hacked Tyrion's storyline and character development is an exception). Maybe the 'internet breaking' scene in the next episode will be a patch of grey on Danny's hand as the show fades to black, but I'm convinced that if the only thing about Connington from the first 6 books that was important enough to bring to the show was his greyscale, then perhaps his only relevant contribution to the story that follows (from HBO's perspective) is that he transmits it to Dany.

Maybe the 'internet breaking' scene in the next episode will be a patch of grey on Danny's hand as the show fades to black...

Meh. That she would be cured in Episode 6 of next season would be assumed right away. No drama. No real tension. Boring.

Borodin, why is anything that does not accord with your understanding of the books automatically hack writing.

Possibility one: GS is only transmitted through contact with an infected part of skin. So what, is that bad writing or just different from your expectation?

Possibility two: Ser blueballs is in denial and desperate. This is the moment he staked his whole life on. Easy to deny to yourself a sickness. Again, if this is the intention of the writers, then what? Is that hackneyed, or just different from what you want?

Possibility three: D&D are such idiots. Lol dumb and dumber.

Re: Greyscale from Objects

Shireen's doll was deliberately engineered to infect her, to keep the greyscale vector active/alive. None of the adults close to her (parents, caregivers, servants) were infected AFAWK, so all D & D have to do is establish that infants are particularly vulnerable. Problem solved.

There's absolutely no possible way they forgot. They just can't have Jorah never touch anyone on the show ever so contracting Greyscale isn't as simple as making contact with someone.

This, otherwise everyone on Dragonstone would have it.

Shireen was an infant when she contracted it. Infants don't take care of themselves so people, wet nurse, nannies, maids, would have touched her. They would have it, and it likely would have turned into a bit of an outbreak probably limited to Dragonstone, if all it takes is touching the person anywhere instead of just the infected part.

But that didn't happen so it's not spread as easily as that.

Either Jorah (and others) knows sufficiently enough about Greyscale that:

1) he is aware that he can safely touch Danaerys

2) he is deliberately touching her hoping to infect her

3) poor writing

I put it down to 50/50 between 1 and 3.

Either Jorah (and others) knows sufficiently enough about Greyscale that:

1) he is aware that he can safely touch Danaerys

2) he is deliberately touching her hoping to infect her

3) poor writing

I put it down to 50/50 between 1 and 3.

#1 is suspect, I think, because even though Jorah might know that it is unlikely he can infect Daenerys with greyscale simply by holding her hand, the man who would die for her is not going to take that risk.

#1 is suspect, I think, because even though Jorah might know that it is unlikely he can infect Daenerys with greyscale simply by holding her hand, the man who would die for her is not going to take that risk.

I agree, even if 1 is correct it would still seem to be a silly thing to do.

I agree, even if 1 is correct it would still seem to be a silly thing to do.

Why?

Do you think you can catch AIDS from touching someone? No, unless you've been living under a rock since 1984. Yet there were people who thought that.

Jorah knows more about Greyscale than we do. Jorah would no more purposely infect Dany that stab her in the heart.

Sorry you all hate D&D so much.

Why?

Do you think you can catch AIDS from touching someone? No, unless you've been living under a rock since 1984. Yet there were people who thought that.

Jorah knows more about Greyscale than we do. Jorah would no more purposely infect Dany that stab her in the heart.

Sorry you all hate D&D so much.

how do you know that Jorah knows anything about greyscale? he isn´t the bookish typ isn´t he?

• 4 weeks later...

I believe Daenerys has GreyScale. The earlier episode in which Jorah and Tyrion were travelling through Valyria and were encountered by Stonemen, Jorah made it a point to ask Tyrion if he was touched by the Stonemen.

I don't believe this was a mistake by Dan and Dave(producers of the show). They made it a point to specifically show the touches between Daenerys and Jorah Mormont in this episode.

Jorah Mormont is the bad guy here. I believe he did this on purpose. Why didn't Jorah Mormont avoid touching her skin. Why did he not grab her on her waist to get her down. There was no hesitation in Jorah Mormont when he touched her hand multiple times. In fact, the infection is on Jorah's right arm and he used his right hand to help hoist her down the ladder. Also, he was holding Daenerys's hand with his right one while they were running into the middle of the arena.

Jorah Mormont is in "Have nothing to lose" mode. Remember, he was told by Tyrion that his father died, his wife left him for another man and he just got infected with greyscale. I believe Jorah Mormont loves Daenerys so much that he believes that the only way for him to have her to himself is to infect her with this disease and they will both live out the rest of their lives in Valyria together.

What is so troubling about this is that what Jorah did was so subtle. Because the main focus was the sons of the harpy killing innocent bystanders and trying to kill Daenerys that it was easy not to pay attention to the exchange of touches between the two.

In my opinion, I believe Daenerys will contract greyscale. Hopefully because she has the blood of the dragon maybe just maybe the blood that runs within her can fight it off. However, I strongly believe she is now infected with greyscale.

• 3 weeks later...
IMO, neither the books nor the show has yet sufficiently explained grey scale to determine exactly how it functions. The books have been more revealing in its contagious properties if I recall correctly, but there is still a general lack of understanding. All our knowledge of it comes from the personal beliefs of the characters, none of which have remotely enough knowledge of disease to be able to take without a grain of salt. Qyburn might have some as yet unseen insight, but he's about the only one likely to reveal anything useful.

I think grey scale is TSOIAF's version of leprosy. If so, then while it is contagious, it is not nearly as contagious as the people at risk of getting it believe it is. Which makes sense. Jorah had direct contact with one of the stone men, who would be the most contagious. Yet he only has a small patch of it weeks, maybe even months later. I don't recall any discussion about grey scale being easily contagious in the early stages. It is unlikely to be dangerous to others early on, or a large portion of the population would get infected as people hid their condition just like Jorah does.

Archived