The other controversial scene (spoilers)

The brothel scene was troubling to say the last. I get that this, um, age preference thing happens in real life. I get that it sets him up as an evil guy. I even know where it's going because I read the preview chapters.

I'm still surprised, rather disturbed and woefully uncomfortable with the fact that they decided to introduce the topic and, even if off-screen, let the deed occur. They even made it worse by showing the girl be scared and very much not trained or even dressed for the occasion... hammering home the fact that she was nothing but an underage slave with no choice.

Overall, I'm just not happy with that scene at all. I don't want to discuss it either, I'm just uncomfortable being silent on this.

it really, really upset me.

do they honestly think the audience is so stupid we need to be told an already bad and disliked character is a PAEDOPHILE so we can hate him????? and not only imply it but genuinely show a poor frightened child dragged off into a room by said paedophile before he says "have a fresh one for me tomorrow" honestly theres a whole array of situations that could have enabled arya to kill the guy but they have to give screen time and build up to bullshit like this?? im upset thinking about how clearly the writers of Game of Thrones have shown their casual misogyny this season and last season too...basically all seasons i just didnt notice because george has written so many amazing female characters

it really, really upset me.

do they honestly think the audience is so stupid we need to be told an already bad and disliked character is a PAEDOPHILE so we can hate him????? and not only imply it but genuinely show a poor frightened child dragged off into a room by said paedophile before he says "have a fresh one for me tomorrow" honestly theres a whole array of situations that could have enabled arya to kill the guy but they have to give screen time and build up to bullshit like this?? im upset thinking about how clearly the writers of Game of Thrones have shown their casual misogyny this season and last season too...basically all seasons i just didnt notice because george has written so many amazing female characters

Yes, they absolutely do think that.

The brothel scene was troubling to say the last. I get that this, um, age preference thing happens in real life. I get that it sets him up as an evil guy. I even know where it's going because I read the preview chapters.

I'm still surprised, rather disturbed and woefully uncomfortable with the fact that they decided to introduce the topic and, even if off-screen, let the deed occur. They even made it worse by showing the girl be scared and very much not trained or even dressed for the occasion... hammering home the fact that she was nothing but an underage slave with no choice.

Overall, I'm just not happy with that scene at all. I don't want to discuss it either, I'm just uncomfortable being silent on this.

While I agree with this, here's what we don't know: Whether this is sort of a mishmash of Dareon the NW guy and Raff from Arya's Mercy chapter. I think we might see Arya use her underage status to get close to Trant and then do the deed. In which case it makes sense to include here. We'll see what happens with it, but it seemed like that's where they were leading.

It's not just a matter of justifying his need to die, it's a matter of justifying Arya's disobedience to Jaqen H'ghar and the many-faced god.

She supposed to be letting her Arya-ness go, if she is to become faceless, she must become no one. Her personal vendetta gets in the way.

It's also about putting Arya in real danger, at risk of being recognized, or worse.

TWOW spoiler:

In the books Arya lures a man to a private place where she can kill him by exploiting the fact that he is a pedophile who is attracted to her. They actually took this particular scenario from GRRM, so you should really blame him for this.

I certainly do. The chapter in question was disturbing as fuck and I really wish he hadn't went there.

Is that the only thing you will ever have to contribute? Over and over again? Could you at least try to elaborate on what makes it "bad"?

Do you like the subplot "Arya in the Whorehouse to Kill the Pedophile"? No. Then you don't like the writing either.

TWOW spoiler:

In the books Arya lures a man to a private place where she can kill him by exploiting the fact that he is a pedophile who is attracted to her. They actually took this particular scenario from GRRM, so you should really blame him for this.

I certainly do. The chapter in question was disturbing as fuck and I really wish he hadn't went there.

im upset if this is a legit scene from the books. but it's a different medium to tv abd the scene was LONG, focused on trant and showed some girl that wasnt even a prostitute but likely some young scullery maid be taken away to be raped

Just horrible

In the books i can imaagine there being a young looking sex worker but not some poor child taken from the kitchen with no consent...just how much is he PAYING them

I think they're not very good, it is what it is, they rely on a lot of cliches.

What are the cues for the audience to hate a character? He either abuses animals or women. Those are the quickest, easiest most fail safe methods to telegraph that this person is to be hated.

And since the Mercy chapter is quite similar, the guy likes them young, they simply amped it up by making the scene very long, to yes make sure we will recognize Trant next week and that we hate him and that we will super cheer Arya when she kills him.

Every single time anyone has thought, hey, this is so obvious, the show must be doing something else...it has always been the obvious answer. The show is obvious. Olly is going to stab Jon.

Did you read the released "mercy" chapter of TWoW? Pretty much the same thing happens, and Arya is even younger in the books.

Archived