Do Targaryens warg their dragons?

Sounds like the Inheritance series... 1 dragon=1 rider... for life.

That's what I am reminded of, too. And there is some truth to it. However, in ASOIAF, dragons do not necessarily die when their riders cease to live. They continue living and may bond with a new rider. It is important to note, that the former rider has to be dead before a new bondage can happen!

I do not have my books with me so I have nothing but this quote from the wiki to confirm my statement: "Balerion finally died of old age in 94 AC, late in the reign of Jaehaerys I. Jaehaerys's grandson and eventual successor Viserys I was Balerion's rider at the time of its death." (source: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dragon#The_Targaryen_dragons).I have to admit that I think that I have spotted a mistake in this article but this statement is a fact and it is true. I am pretty sure of it.

No. The Targs of old fought while riding their dragons. Your body is comatose while warging.

I think there are different forms of warging in that a skinchanger can influence their bonded animals while still functioning as themselves well that is how I perceive it ie when Jon brought ghost to intimidate Rast in his bunk or When Robb brought greywind to intimidate Jaime in his cage.

Drogon nuked one of her soldiers. So that is not accurate. It looked more like she was accepting death. You know, the reason why most of us are pissed about scene. In the episode, she gave up, which is not how it occured.

There is more evidence to suggest Drogon was deliberately attacking sons of the harpy than as others suggested it was indiscriminate. He goes straight for the harpy that is running to kill Dany with a dagger and rips him apart, turns away from what is directly infront of him Dany and her protectors and begins burning harpys, I saw one unsullied in drogons line of fire but it wasn't very clear if he burned or not if they wanted to make that clear they shouldnt of cutaway but even if it were true that he was killed one burned unsullied is well within acceptable friendlyfire limits in any battle.

I think there are different forms of warging in that a skinchanger can influence their bonded animals while still functioning as themselves well that is how I perceive it ie when Jon brought ghost to intimidate Rast in his bunk or When Robb brought greywind to intimidate Jaime in his cage.

Could see something along these lines, but wouldn't call it warging or skinchanging. More like if you have the relationship with the animal you're warging/skinchanging with, then it remains quasi connected with you even when you're not one with it. Thenn dude's owl just sat on his shoulder perch when not one with him for example.

Also, the Black Dread had multiple riders because he lived for so long. They talk about it in one of the Dance of the Dragons stories.

I saw one unsullied in drogons line of fire but it wasn't very clear if he burned or not if they wanted to make that clear they shouldnt of cutaway but even if it were true that he was killed one burned unsullied is well within acceptable friendlyfire limits in any battle.

I saw this also. Looks like editing glitch like lots like to document in movies. The guy was in line of fire.......but was mysteriously missing a second later when showing the harpies doing flame dance.

Like Kit said, they like to take 3 perspectives of each scene. Perhaps we saw another angle of the same harpies flamed being reused

GRRM has said that we have never seen a dragon be skinchanged. Which doesn't mean it's not possible, just that it hasn't happened. Perhaps a really powerful skinchanger like Bran could - I'm not in that theory camp myself that he will but it is theoretically possible I suppose. But nothing indicates that Dany can skinchange at all. I think D&D were just trying to show the special connection, which is definitely a part of Targ-dragon mechanics. One dragon one rider.

I don't think what the Targs did was completely the same as warging/skinchanging, but something close to it, but you gotta be kidding me with this comment (their comment)...

I'm not kidding you that the comment basically excludes, in the show at least, warging/skinchanging, and it is not supposed to be interpreted that way.

If you're questioning the validity of the comment itself, it's here between 6 and 6:30.

They do also say that "this is evidence that Drogon can sense his mother is in great peril," so you have that going for you, but it has nothing to do with Dany exhibiting any sort of power, as some interpret.

In the books it's clear that dragon riding and skinchanging are very different things. In the last ADWD we see Dany's POV while she is living and riding Drogon, and nothing suggests that she's controlling the dragon.

some riders had more than one dragon when one died and many dragons had many riders as they died and dragons lived long if not killed.

We have many examples of dragons that have been ridden by many dragons (Balerion by Aerys, Maegar and Viserys; Vhagar by Visenya, Laena and Aemond;...). But we have no examples of any rider that has taken another dragon after the first one dies. There are indications in the text suggesting that people believe it can be done, but I don't think that we can be sure.

Drogon showing up was just a lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you view it) coincidence, in book and show.

Fictional stories are full of coincidence, so much more than real life. Without coincidence, fictional stories don't work.

I don't think Dany can warg shit, let alone a dragon. Bran, however, if he can skin change into a human, should find a dragon a piece of piss to mind control. Imagine Bran can control all 3 at once?

In this episode we clearly see Daenerys close her eyes and then Drogon appears in the next moment and instantly begins attacking only Danys enemies, In the books it is called skin changing but on the show the whole phenomenon is referred to as warging.If I recall correctly Rob stark had a moment like this during an ambush were he opens his eyes in a manner that would suggest he had just warged his Wolf Grey wind. I wonder if the mystery of how Targaryens train and control their dragons could be explained by skinchanging.

I like the idea. The show clearly meant to communicate some kind of importance with that scene. Perhaps it wasn't conscious warging as much as they are bonded and connected; Drogon sorta sensed her distress and came to the rescue?

It is a confirmed fact that Targaryens were bonded since birth with their dragons.

There are alot of clues and hints that they might warg their dragons, but not confirmed so far.

sorry, wrong again. There is an incredible amount of misinformation and speculation on this thread, about things that have already been explicitly explained by GRRM

read the account of the Dance of Dragons war in "The Princess and the Queen, or, the Blacks and the Greens" in the Dangerous Women anthology-- yes they placed dragon eggs in the cribs of some baby Targs, but many, if not most, of the dragonriders in the narrative bond their dragons as adults. Eggs weren't necessarily available at the same time Targ babies were born anyway. Many Targs were born without eggs. Many dragons hatched and had to be bonded later

There is no warging hinted at. Zero, none.

There is no old Valyrian sorcery/binding spells, as was speculated for years

Basically someone with Valyrian/Targ blood, even Targ bastards who were all over Dragonstone, just had to have the cojones to confront a dragon and mount it. Some pulled it off, some didn't and died (like Quentyn)

Nettles was a presumed Targ bastard who wooed her dragon by bringing it food over time

As mentioned, dragons frequently had multiple riders as they outlived us humans-- Balerion had several generations of Targ riders for example

everyone should read the story, it answered a lot of long debated questions about how someone can ride a dragon that have been debated on here for years

Basically, the way Dany stood up to Drogon in the show, and he roared at her then accepted her, is pretty much how it is portrayed in the short story

Will Jon and/or Bran warg a dragon? I think most of us think that will happen somehow, but it's not been a factor in the Targ family's bonding of dragons to date

I, too, had the sense that somehow Drogon sensed Dany's danger, similar to the time he showed up because he sensed she was so discouraged and conflicted about how to rightly rule. In the books, it was the smell of blood that drew him, and I think that could very well have been the case here, too, perhaps heightened by the bond and 6th sense Targs share with their dragons. I don't have any sense that Targs can warg their dragons, though, and that's not something that's been supported in the books so far. (Plus, she didn't do that roll-y eyes thing that Bran always does, and that Orell did -- thank goodness. That stuff creeps me out a bit. :rolleyes: )

• 4 weeks later...

The only ones who can warg or skinchange are descendants of the first men.

The only Targaryen that we know of that can warg in general would be brynden rivers aka 3 eyed raven. That is only because his father was Targaryen and his mother was a descendant of the first men.

However, if the theory is right, Jon Snow maybe another Targaryen that can warg as well.

Outside of those two, there are no other Targaryens that can warg in general.

Warging is usually associated with the belief of the Old Gods which are primarily in northern region of Westeros, so no Targaryens are unlikely to be able to warg their dragons. What Daenerys was probably doing was praying or something, but Drogon's appearance most likely was because he never strayed far from his mother at all. He always remained close and loyal to her, and when he sensed that she was in danger, he jumped on the scene and rescued Dany.

• 5 months later...

Archived