How did your unsullied friends, family react to this episode? (Book Spoilers)

Unsullied friends:

Dorne-

Love the looks of the place but think it was introduced to bring a little comedy into the horrific show. They laughed at Bronn..weird.

Wall-

Why didnt Jon pull back Allister and tell him about the WW?

Mereen-

Disliked pit stupidity

Loved Jorah's spear. Loved Dany forgiving

Loved drogon

Disliked stunts

Camp-

What? FUCK. How greedy can Stannis be? *curses*

Bitch..look at her smile.

And one "ok I'm done" guy.

Braavos-

Oh.. Why do they even show this boring girl's story?

:laugh:

Well, maybe he will get to keep his tattoos once the book comes out, who knows. But yeah: avoid GoT tattoos until the series are done, or you may end up with the equivalent to a Hitler tattoo.

The thing is that I have thought about getting a Baratheon tattoo but I would never get a flaming heart. How many Stannis fans really think Mel or R'hllor are great? If I got a asoiaf tat I would definitely get something which could pass as something else, an sigil subject not in the show design or not in obvious heraldry. Luckily my birth town's shield has a stag's head on it so that works for both.

The thing is that I have thought about getting a Baratheon tattoo but I would never get a flaming heart. How many Stannis fans really think Mel or R'hllor are great? If I got a asoiaf tat I would definitely get something which could pass as something else, an sigil subject not in the show design or not in obvious heraldry. Luckily my birth town's shield has a stag's head on it so that works for both.

Oh yeah, I've also been thinking about getting a stag. If everything goes to hell, it can always be just a stag.

ROFL.

I said nothing of the sort.

But if it makes you feel better to think so, that's fine.

My favorite character is Cersei, who does terrible things - I certainly have no problem with liking a character who's actions I don't think are right.

If you think it's a good story or not, this was the story they have been telling since the character was introduced. I'm sorry it so blindsided so many of you - but if you go back and watch Stannis' scenes, you'll see this foreshadowed starting in Season 2.

I meant it's not good storytelling.

Of course I saw it coming, you had to be a moron not to. Foreshadowing is not characterization though. You keep missing that point.

Is that fucking Olly kid well written just because it's painfully obvious what happens next? Will FTW be brilliant storytelling if it becomes Olly doing it solo "for the potatoes" next week?

On Oysers:

I saw a lot of people who thought that making Trant a pedophile was gilding the rose.

This.

On the Stannis Family BBQ:

People were justifiably confused that the attack was Ramsay, probably because they didn't have any context of him being covert. Bookreaders remember how he double crossed Cassel. The Shireen scene and stuff leading up had my unsullied friends repeating, first softly... "no...no...no" and climaxing to "....NO! Stannis you sick f*%k!"

Ramsey is apparently all Seal Team Six unto himself. The 20 extra men he took with him I'm pretty sure were just there to praise his genius and bear witness.

The Unsullied (the real unsullied) looked like incompetent morons. Hopefully next season, Greyworm will wake up... realize how crappy his 'elite fighting force' has become... put Missande aside (PLEASE GOD) and re-train the remaining Unsullied into a force that can survive an encounter with non armored foes that are armed with daggers.

Right??!!

At least outfit them with a close range fighting option. Maybe Ramsey can be hired as a consultant.

So... the women literally whooped and cheered when Dany mounted Drogon. My Unsullied male friend was non-plussed. He was into Drogon arriving and killing the tSoH but he mentioned that Dany's flight at the end looked like it was composited in-camera.

Next Time On...

If we get the FTW moment next week I suspect I will need to talk the girl's in our viewing party out of suicide.

I wish I could come to your viewing party!

Apologies if all the quotes are messed up. For some reason even with the coding correct posting quotes has been wonky.

Yeah, I never understood why people seem to think this came out of the blue and was "completely out of character"...

Over the entire series, he has become more and more engrossed in the religion where he is basically the Hero-King Messiah Stannis, where he is the only one who can save the world, pretty much because Mel says just what he wants to hear.

He did not burn Shireen just for fun. He truly believes that it was the only way to win this battle, so he can become HKM Stannis and save everyone.

The real tragedy will be if he finds out he was wrong, that he is just Stannis and everything (Renly, Shireen, hundreds of innocents and thousands of soldiers) was for nothing. If he can reach Mel then, she won't live for long.

They do have quite a few things in common... the main difference is that Dany has friends and advisers that help her get through these while actually helping her figuring out her own morality and ideals, while Stannis has the Red Witch who confirms his greatest wish (that it's all about him, he's the HKM) while applauding his rigid morality and willingness to go all "ends justify the means" on both enemy and ally.

I agree with this 100%. Absolutely fantastic summary of the situation. I just hope someone can stop Stannis before it's too late.

They loved it, because they dont have the book characters in the head messing up their perspective.

Right, because the only way someone could have a problem with the show is if they read the books. A non-book reader would never complain, because the show is perfect.

Personally, I rather enjoyed my brother-in-law's reaction.

- Dorne appears on screen -

BiL: Ah, fuck Dorne.

Unsullied friends have mixed reactions. Four of them hate Stannis and Melissandre, although they still wanted them to win against Ramsey. The other one empathized with Stannis, saying he was too desperate.

Their other thoughts:

Alliser Thorne is cool

The flying scene is Disney-like, but they love Drogon

They all hate Ollie, and they fear for Jon's safety.

I talked to my mom. She was horrified by Stannis sacrificing Shireen. I assured her Stannis the books is nowhere near sacrificing his daughter. He might sometime in the future, but it will be more dramatic than some stupid ninja attack. I kinda had to. I convinced her to name her dog Stannis.

She was like "WTF? Why did Dany leave her friends?"

My brother didn't understand why Stannis burnt his only heir over horses and supplies that were likely to be replaced by Jon Snow/Davos. He also asked how exactly Sansa is supposed to be getting revenge, seeing as she is in an enemy camp and her only ally was flayed a few episodes back, but then he remembered Brienne in her tower. But he still doesn't see how Brienne and Sansa will get out alive.

My other brother didn't understand why Missandei was just waiting for that guy to kill her, and remained silent for the entire scene.

Mys sister stopped watching when Jaime raped Cersei and she found out the director didn't even realise he was filming a rape scene.

This is the first season I've had an unsullied. My daughter was unsullied past ASOS. However, she place a moratorium on talking about the show until the season was over because she says I'm a spoiler machine. Any how, this week she said she wanted to ask me a question and I was supposed to answer that question only. I said, "Okay."

Then she asked me, "Why did Cersei choose that High Septon in the book?"

I answered, "She didn't."

She looked at me for a moment and then said, "Okay explain it until I tell you to stop."

I went from why there was a need for a new HS to what Cersei got for allowing the faith militant to rearm. She stopped me and said, "That makes so much more sense."

And then she said she knew Dorne was ridiculous, but it made her laugh so hard she was loving it.

Then no more GOT talk was allowed.

ETA: I was surprised that it was Cersei's story line that she was having a problem with.

Archived