Viserion and Rhaegal are useless without riders

Or, you know... the largest and oldest Dragon on the planet.

Sheepstealer would be twice the size of Drogon

Only if Jon changes his name. Sheepstealer....not very terrifying if you ask me ;).

I will say this in light of LM comment. Drogon does have the same color scheme as Jon. Black and Red. Jon is a man of the NW so cloaked in black. He is a Red Dragon, thus his blood runs "red".

Just throwing that out there.

Only if Jon changes his name. Sheepstealer....not very terrifying if you ask me ;).

I will say this in light of LM comment. Drogon does have the same color scheme as Jon. Black and Red. Jon is a man of the NW so cloaked in black. He is a Red Dragon, thus his blood runs "red".

Just throwing that out there.

And black was always Jon's color... Would be pretty hilarious if Jon stole Dany's dragon

We just don't have enough information to predict how Viserion and Rhaegal are likely to get out of SB. For example, we don't know:
1. The effects of a dragon horn on dragons. It could be able to summon a dragon which has already bound to a rider to whoever is the master of the horn and making that dragon submit instantly. ,It could only call an un-bound dragon and giving you a chance to win it over. Or anything in between. We don't know how many dragons it can effect at a time either.

2. Who controls the dragon horn. Moqorro has given some information to Victarion. We have no way of knowing whether Moqorro is telling Victarion the truth. We can assume that some things are true because there is too high a chance of them getting checked (like the meaning of the Valyrian glyphs on the horn) but we cannot know whether whatever Moqorro does to help Victarion claim the horn as its master will actually do so. It could just as easily do anything else Moqorro might want. Regardless of that, we don't know what Euron's wizards did to the horn, and whether whatever Moqorro tires to do will trump that.

3. The social structure of dragon litters. Can Dany on Drogon dominate the other two? Drogon was already the biggest before he got to spend months roaming loose while the other two were caged. We have good reason to believe that sitting in a cellar with chains on is not as good for a dragon's development as flying free and hunting. So Drogon should be much stronger than the other two and able to bully them, possibly well enough to get them to stick with the program. Especially when you consider that they are still somewhat under Dany's influence.

4. What dragon knowledge Moqorro or the Marwyn may be able to offer. For all we know, the Citadel and the Temple of Rhlor at Volantis have books with the information necessary to control the dragons effectively using "natural" methods that don't rely on dragon horns. As in regular training and management of dragons as dangerous and powerful working animals in the same way that elephants can be.

I think it's possible that Viserion and Rhaegal have created some sort of bond with each other through the trauma of being imprisoned. Not a dragon-rider strength bond, but more just depending on each other or liking their company. I agree that without riders, they are less than useful, but if (for example) Tyrion were to ride one, the other might follow Out of loneliness until he can claim his own rider. So, just throwing out another option of how it could play out.

I think it's possible that Viserion and Rhaegal have created some sort of bond with each other through the trauma of being imprisoned. Not a dragon-rider strength bond, but more just depending on each other or liking their company. I agree that without riders, they are less than useful, but if (for example) Tyrion were to ride one, the other might follow Out of loneliness until he can claim his own rider. So, just throwing out another option of how it could play out.

That's heart-breaking.

My theory as to the riders:

Viserion - Tyrion. It was hinted in a Tyrion preview chapter that Viserion will withdraw from the fight over Meereen, and the most likely reason for this is injury by trebuchet shot. Also, Tyrion was seen wiping blood off a *white dragon* cyvasse piece - Viserion is the white dragon, may be injured, and Tyrion is known to have (1) a sympathy for cripples and other injured or broken things, and (2) a knack for designing saddles to ride beasts with. Also, though rare, I believe it is not STRICTLY necessary to have Valyrian blood to ride a dragon. Example from a short story: Nettles and Sheepstealer.

Rhaegal... First apparent master (whether he rides or not): Victarion Greyjoy. Probable real master: Euron Greyjoy. Rhaegal, in the same Tyrion preview chapter, is flying over near the Ironborn fleet, and Victarion is about to have the dragon horn blown. The question is, who does the horn recognise as its "master" - Euron (we may take it as read that he found out and did what is necessary to make himself its master) or Victarion (has Moqorro's advice to him "claim it in blood" given him sufficient clue to do something that breaks Euron's control over the horn and claim it for himself)? And also, can the Greyjoy controller be slain, or their control over the dragon horn broken, without killing Rhaegal so someone else can ride him later?

Another thought: Of the "three mounts you (Daenerys) will ride", Khal Drogo's silver filly was the first, "to bed". Drogon is the second, "to dread". It is implied that there will be a third, "to love" - i.e. that she will at some stage turn away from Drogon, and ride the dragon no longer, in favour of another beast. How Drogon will take to this, if he is still alive, is unknown.

I believe "Aegon Targaryen" is more likely to die to a dragon than to ride one. The "dragon" he should have had was Daenerys herself (and by extension Drogon) but he left her stranded over on the far side of the board and did not take the necessary steps to move her to the centre of action (travelling to Meereen by boat to get her) - as his cyvasse game with Tyrion foreshadowed.

And black was always Jon's color... Would be pretty hilarious if Jon stole Dany's dragon

He won't steal Drogon. He will ride Drogon after Daenerys dies. That lemon tree outside her window in the house with the red door in Braavos was a signal that Daenerys would suffer bitterness and disappointment in the end.

They are useless without riders, yeah. From the Princess and the Queen, we see they don't even come to battles just to help the Targaryens out and then fly away.

Once Viserion and Rhaegal were freed, they both go out and establish their own nests. You'd think they'd stick to each but nope. Not saying they don't like each others company but Viserion hid in the ceiling while Rhaegal had the pit all to himself. I can't really see Rhaegal caring if Viserion got a rider or vice versa. If anything, they'd be attract to their mother: Dany.

I believe it is not STRICTLY necessary to have Valyrian blood to ride a dragon. Example from a short story: Nettles and Sheepstealer.

WOIAF identifies Neetles and being a dragonseed, i.e., having Targ blood. Maybe the maesters were mistaken, but the best evidence is that Nettles had Targ blood and that Targ blood is required to ride a dragon (just like "first man" blood is required to warg).

Another possibility is that one or both of them doesn't survive the battle of Meereen. GRRM often kills humans in these books so why not dragons as well?

That may be. I do think GRRM has to show the vulnerability of the dragons at some point, even if he doesn't outright kill one of them.

As to the dragons themselves, I'm in the minority in that I think there will be only one dragon rider in this story and we already know who she is. Myself, I think the whole point of the dragons in the story is to have another existential threat to Westeros and to be the opposite side of the same coin as the Others. At some point, I think Dany is going to lose control of at least two of them and they're doing to cause much destruction.

WOIAF identifies Neetles and being a dragonseed, i.e., having Targ blood. Maybe the maesters were mistaken, but the best evidence is that Nettles had Targ blood and that Targ blood is required to ride a dragon (just like "first man" blood is required to warg).

Is this confirmed? IIRC house Farwynd can warg into Seals and Whales and they are ironborn.

The only one that comes to mind is the white dragon cysavve piece. That one foreshadowed Jon because it was white with a bit of red (if i'm not mistaken). Those are Ghosts colours and the colours of the weirwood trees.

I thought Tyrion might ride viserion but don't think so anymore

I guess I interpret some other stuff as foreshadowing. Such as his extreme love for dragons in his youth (I don't have the time to post the quotes, but I assume you know what I mean) and the "special saddle" he designs for Bran.

It isn't 100%, but imo these are the things that GRRM hints at the entire time and then you go back and re-read once it happens and it is just awesome.

Is this confirmed? IIRC house Farwynd can warg into Seals and Whales and they are ironborn.

Ironborn also have first men blood. I believe the following groups are understood to have first men blood:

Northmen

Crannogmen

Free Folk

Hill tribes of the Vale

Ironborn

Notice ironborn being on the list.

Archived