Boarders Writing A Novel: Part 13

Kyoshi

My present plans are seven novels for The Rules of Supervillainy and seven novels for The Red Room.

I wanted, originally, to do an ongoing series which would continue until it stopped but the characters have decided to establish clear end points for me.

I'm a bit iffier about my fantasy series because where I want to go with it is always changing.

(Tried to post last night but the forum broke.) I've got outlines for twelve/thirteen or so in my storyverse of which nine are clustered together and the rest fill in patches of mythology. If you can do it, it's great, but the first step has to be getting one of them up to scratch.

Getting a bit of world-builders disease and can't stop. Oh well, I've been pretty busy as of late with not a lot of solid, undisturbed writing time, so its nice to at least contribute to my universe in the mean time. It's always good to have a sense of the world when I get back to writing any ways.

Getting a bit of world-builders disease and can't stop. Oh well, I've been pretty busy as of late with not a lot of solid, undisturbed writing time, so its nice to at least contribute to my universe in the mean time. It's always good to have a sense of the world when I get back to writing any ways.

Is that what it's called? I've got that big time. I love my map but all I seem to want to do is tweak it and I'm not getting any writing down. Meanwhile the map just keeps getting more and more expansive, it's huge now.

For the past half year I've only been managing about 500 words every week on average. I wish I'd get more done. Currently on 45,000 words. Still enjoying writing it a lot though. Writing is about the only thing where I actually enjoy solving problems.

ETA: I suffer from the world-builders disease at times too. Which isn't a bad thing because I feel like the book needs more world-building.

I think knowing your world/map in broad strokes is the best way to start, but only focus on the minutiae where your story is currently taking place (including your "foreign" characters who will layer in details from their distant lands and cultures). Pulling in small details of the far away places adds flavor and a sense that the world is wider than the city/kingdom/neighboring countries.

However if you spend all your time just world building, then you kind of lock yourself in once you start writing. To me, details should be added organically while writing. 

"Story bibles" can be useful, and I have one, but it's focused on two countries in extreme details (where the action takes place), three in moderate (where I have characters from there), and a bunch of others in broad strokes where I know names and basic government/cultural/economic type only (travelers may reference them). 

Just my personal process of course. Different mindset.

I would challenge people who want to write stories not to spend too much time worldbuilding. Otherwise you spend all your time "researching" and not writing. I know how much fun it is to create new worlds. If that's what you want to do, go for it. But if you really want to be a writer, don't let it distract you from learning the craft.

I think knowing your world/map in broad strokes is the best way to start, but only focus on the minutiae where your story is currently taking place (including your "foreign" characters who will layer in details from their distant lands and cultures). Pulling in small details of the far away places adds flavor and a sense that the world is wider than the city/kingdom/neighboring countries.

YES. I tried reading Brent Weeks, and gave up when I hit a half-page description of architecture that wasn't even on the damned street along with the character was walking. Oi. Put that shit where it belongs.

I would like to start one. I have the story but my lack character ability is apperant to me. I knwo what  I want- I just don't how to write them.

Take this for it's worth: I wanted to write Esoterrorism for ten years.

I just didn't get good enough to do it in a manner worthy of the story in my head until the very end.

Keep writing until you you're good enough for your headstory is my advice.

And seek out advice on how to correct your flaws as a writer.

Edit:

Sales are doing well for Esoterrorism and The Rules of Supervillainy. Interestingly, I've got mixed reports on Kindle Unlimited. It's kind of an issue for a lot of author since it's low paying and a model which drastically skews everything for Amazon.com but does open your books to being purchased and exposed much more to a certain customer base.

I've sold close to a thousand extra copies, for example, on Rules due to it.

However, a friend of mine sells almost nothing on it despite the fact having very very high purchase rates otherwise.

So it's a dice roll.

Iv'e got plenty of stories in my head, and a few as lengthy word documents still in need of a edit or two, but the thing is, I just don't see them performing well in my home country sales-wise.

Now thanks to the good ole' interwebz I can probably try to publish it in the UK, but since im only a student, I don't have the resources for large scale marketing (Book tours ect)

Would any of you guys recommend publishing it myself online?

Iv'e got plenty of stories in my head, and a few as lengthy word documents still in need of a edit or two, but the thing is, I just don't see them performing well in my home country sales-wise.

Now thanks to the good ole' interwebz I can probably try to publish it in the UK, but since im only a student, I don't have the resources for large scale marketing (Book tours ect)

Would any of you guys recommend publishing it myself online?

Well, it certainly is not an impossible way to success, look at Andy Weir! :) Although I feel like there really are a loooot of self-published authors everywhere nowadays, especially thanks to Amazon, so it might just be a very small number who succeeds by taking that road, something I haven't done enough research on to be able to tell you anything more.

I've posted an excerpt of The God Keepers (fantasy) here that I would love to get some feedback on. If anyone really likes it, I'm currently looking for Beta readers as well. 

Now to decide what to work on next. I hate being between projects, it's always so difficult to pick one. How does everyone else choose? 

I've posted an excerpt of The God Keepers (fantasy) here that I would love to get some feedback on. If anyone really likes it, I'm currently looking for Beta readers as well.

I liked it. The last line was a bit confusing, but I assume there's a greater context I'm not aware of.

Archived