Garlan and Willas Tyrell

Coldf00t

Talking about differences between the books and the TV Show George RR Martin pointed out that Garlan and WIllas Tyrell (Loras' two brothers) don't exist in the TV Show but they will play big roles in the remaining two books of the series.

What could their roles be? Any thoughts?

Fighting Euron and maybe joining one side or the other during the next dance of dragons. Willas even have some chance to survive all that and became Jon's ally later.

I think both of them appear on opposite sides of the battle and slay eachother, like the twin brothers during the first Dance of Dragons.

From what we have learned about Willas and Garlan, we should have high hopes for them so they can be crushed...jk. Actually, both men are well regarded. Garlan is a superb knight and a gentleman. Willas is considered highly competent to run the Reach and Highgarden, no small achievement. He passes valuable intelligence to other lords regarding the Ironborn incursions.

My super-secret hope is that Lady Olenna's husband did not ride off a cliff from carelessness or to get away from her or due to a Faceless Man. I hope he was distracted by

skinchanging his hawk, leading to the accident. And I fervently desire to learn he passed his skinchanging abilities to at least some of his grandchildren. Combining intelligence with skinchanging (birds!) would make Willas very interesting and formidable. Some people theorize Sansa will skinchange a bird so there could be an intersection of storylines there. (Secondarily, Margaery is passionate about hawking. Garlan and/or Loras could demonstrate a considerable advantage in battles, should either or both have such a talent. It is just my secret fantasy, of course, but t would be an intriguing development with plenty of possibilities.)

Garlan will fight Harras Harlaw and end up with Nightfall, that's well foreshadowed.

Think Loras is going to end up with Red Rain, although there's no foreshadowing for it.

I too think they'll end up the parallel for Arryk and Erryk, possibly falling on each other's swords in Sansa's trial of Seven. Otherwise Marge may die in KL and they may team up to try and take down the culprit, but instead run into the dragonknight parallels Barristan or Jaime.

Depends on what GRRM means, i.e. whether he's exaggerating their personal roles to stick it to the TV show or that Garlan specifically does something and Willas specifically does something that impacts the fate of other characters and/or events.

I suppose Willas could eventually marry Sansa, as was foiled years ago but I don't think there's important role for either of them to play. They still make for great worldbuilding elements though.

Willas will side with Aegon, one of the few things we know of him is that he's pious, Aegon will have the Faith and the Faith and Dany will not get along. Willas isn't like Mace according to Olenna, which means he's probably not ambitious, and when the current Lannister/Tyrell alliance goes pear shaped and Mace dies Willas will probably pull everything back, follow what the Faith want and try and stay at home so more of his family doesn't end up dead by trying to politic, all Tyrell ambition gone.

He'll vote for Sansa/Tyrion in a Great Council because Sansa will have positioned herself as the darling of the Faith.

TWoIaF gave us a great description of the Highgarden godswood with its triple weirwood heart trees, the Three Singers. Willas Tyrell don't get around much anymore, so hopefully he spends time in the godswood where Bran can get in contact with him. Willas might be the most logical person south of the neck for Bran to alert to the real danger coming from the north.

Erich V Harlaw retook Fair Island in his youth, only to lose it again in his old age. His son Harron slew Gareth the Grim of Highgarden beneath the walls of Oldtown.

Harron Harlaw vs Gareth Grim of Highgarden.

Still, night falls for all of us in the end, and too soon for some.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the day I was introduced to who Willas Tyrell is in the books I have been smitten! I was SO excited to read George RR Martin say, "~"And in the Tyrell family, Loras is not the eldest son in the books. There are two older brothers, Willas and Garlan. I didn’t just put them in for hoots and giggles, they have roles to play in the last two books, and they don’t exist in the show.”~"

Though images of him are not so fair and he's referred to as a cripple, even though he can still walk, GRRM has him described as being fond of reading books and looking at the stars as well as being an animal lover.

Though it was Oberyn Martell who unhorsed Willas at a Tourney leaving him lame, he didn't hold ill will towards Oberyn and they maintained correspondence. This seems interesting to me. Willas a very educated man with a passion for Animals (who can be warged) and Oberyn was schooled at the Citadel.

since Willas is the Heir to Highgarden, It is very curious that he's not yet married, lame or not.

You've got a lot for the Tyrells to deal with in the next 2 books: Loras' possible injuries, Margaery's trial, crazy Cersei's wrath, the Ironborn, Aegon, Dorne making moves, and Dany's eventual arrival. Also, some posters believe that a group of Reach houses will betray the Tyrells.

Since the day I was introduced to who Willas Tyrell is in the books I have been smitten! I was SO excited to read George RR Martin say, "~"And in the Tyrell family, Loras is not the eldest son in the books. There are two older brothers, Willas and Garlan. I didn’t just put them in for hoots and giggles, they have roles to play in the last two books, and they don’t exist in the show.”~"

Though images of him are not so fair and he's referred to as a cripple, even though he can still walk, GRRM has him described as being fond of reading books and looking at the stars as well as being an animal lover.

Though it was Oberyn Martell who unhorsed Willas at a Tourney leaving him lame, he didn't hold ill will towards Oberyn and they maintained correspondence. This seems interesting to me. Willas a very educated man with a passion for Animals (who can be warged) and Oberyn was schooled at the Citadel.

since Willas is the Heir to Highgarden, It is very curious that he's not yet married, lame or not.

Well, its indeed very interesting that Willas loves reading, and with Sam in Oldtown, there can be a plotpoint in to which Sam and Willas must work together to find a defence against the Walkers, while Garlan raises an army to kick Euron out of the Reach and then brings the army to the Trident (Where i expect the Dance of Dragons will take place and where a Targ rises again and will kill an Usurpator to get back on the Throne, to mirror Rhaegar and Robert), with the Walkers as the third party, having brought down the Twins and marching on to the Trident to raise the death bodys as Wights, which both of the Black and the Greens must join sides to defeat the Walkers.

How is a Harlaw killing a Hightower foreshadowing of a Tyrell killing a Harlaw? And if its Olenna talking about Night falling sooner for some isn't that foreshadowing of Nightfall killing a Tyrell?!? It definitely seems like you picked an outcome and looked for foreshadowing.

Agreed. Not every little throw-away comment is foreshadowing for a future event.

Gareth was not a Hightower he was a Gardener, the ruling house of the Reach. Take it that the result of the fight is integral to the foreshadowing of the fight and must repeat that way, that Olenna's line speaks to death instead of ownership and that the character signalled as being important by the author with the greater screen time and build up will fall if you will, I don't care to argue it.

Archived