Garlan and Willas Tyrell

Coldf00t

^That's exactly what I think happens. IMO the timeline will go Euron pulls everything out to fight the Redwyns, Hightowers and Tyrells expect a victory, Euron wins using magic. Garlan tries to retake the shields thinking Euron is gone/ defeated and the Ironborn come down on them while they are crossing the sound, Hawlaw kills Garlan. The Ironborn then land and cross land carrying their longships to the Honeywine(We were told of the story where the Ironborn landed south of Seaguard and carried their ships to the Trident), and attack Oldtown from the river avoiding all of their ocean facing defenses. From there whether Alleras/Sam kill Euron (Alleras always misses a shot/Sam never makes 1 but has always managed to get the job done including killing an Other) or whether Aegon saves the city, or whether the city burns I am much less sure of.

Edit: It does seem that the 1 thing everyone agrees will happen is a boss battle between Hawlaw and Garlan. I sure hope were right.

Since the day I was introduced to who Willas Tyrell is in the books I have been smitten! I was SO excited to read George RR Martin say, "~"And in the Tyrell family, Loras is not the eldest son in the books. There are two older brothers, Willas and Garlan. I didn’t just put them in for hoots and giggles, they have roles to play in the last two books, and they don’t exist in the show.”~"

Though images of him are not so fair and he's referred to as a cripple, even though he can still walk, GRRM has him described as being fond of reading books and looking at the stars as well as being an animal lover.

Though it was Oberyn Martell who unhorsed Willas at a Tourney leaving him lame, he didn't hold ill will towards Oberyn and they maintained correspondence. This seems interesting to me. Willas a very educated man with a passion for Animals (who can be warged) and Oberyn was schooled at the Citadel.

since Willas is the Heir to Highgarden, It is very curious that he's not yet married, lame or not.

In regards to Dorne, wasn't it agreed upon that Willas was collaborating with either (or both) Oberyn or Doran to oust the Lannister regime? I could have sworn I'd read that somewhere, but I can't for the life of me remember now where it was. If anyone could source or refute this, I'd be very appreciative.

So Garlan, for whom GRRM says is going to have larger role in the books, is going to die at the hands of briefly mentioned character in the near future...like...seriously. :blink:

@Shireen Purratheon- All we know is that they were penpals, no degree of collaboration is mentioned

The Tyrells are by far the most powerful family in the realm currently. Willas is in charge of the Reach and becomes lord and probably a spot on the small council if Mace dies. He is regarded as much more capable than Mace. Garlan is an expert swordsman and military commander. Kind of hard to imagine them not being important, honestly.

I think Garlan will capture the Shields but he won't stop there. Him and the Redwyne Fleet will attack Pyke and capture Aeron. Then he'll take him to Highgarden as a hostage, mirroring his imprisonment in Casterly Rock. Can you imagine the Damphair being our POV to Highgarden? He'd be like, "Ugh, flowers and butterflies, make it stop!"

I also think there's a good chance Garlan will fight Victarion and Barristan (with Loras). Victarion getting the chance to test his axe against Nightfall and Garlan and Loras being prominent brothers may echo the Toyne brothers who fought the Dragonknight, Barristan is likened in the text to the Dragonknight and Barristan has famously defeated one Toyne in combat.

I also think there's a good chance Garlan will fight Victarion and Barristan (with Loras). Victarion getting the chance to test his axe against Nightfall and Garlan and Loras being prominent brothers may echo the Toyne brothers who fought the Dragonknight, Barristan is likened in the text to the Dragonknight and Barristan has famously defeated one Toyne in combat.

I like this. Really hope that Victarion and Barristan don't die in Meereen before they can become super bros.

I think Garlan will capture the Shields but he won't stop there. Him and the Redwyne Fleet will attack Pyke and capture Aeron. Then he'll take him to Highgarden as a hostage, mirroring his imprisonment in Casterly Rock. Can you imagine the Damphair being our POV to Highgarden? He'd be like, "Ugh, flowers and butterflies, make it stop!"

And I really like this! I just don't see how all of that could conspire in the amount of time that remains in the narrative.

• 3 weeks later...

Talking about differences between the books and the TV Show George RR Martin pointed out that Garlan and WIllas Tyrell (Loras' two brothers) don't exist in the TV Show but they will play big roles in the remaining two books of the series.

What could their roles be? Any thoughts?

Primary Kissers of Tagaryen ass , I assume.

Talking about differences between the books and the TV Show George RR Martin pointed out that Garlan and WIllas Tyrell (Loras' two brothers) don't exist in the TV Show but they will play big roles in the remaining two books of the series.

What could their roles be? Any thoughts? 

Lots of options IMO:

If Mace were to die, there is a new Lord of the Reach. The Queen of Thorns already tried to marry Sansa into their family, I could see the ambitious Tyrell's  continuing to try and build their power through future marriage alliances.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would have loved if Garlan was made a POV and we saw him battling the Iron Born.

Maybe we'll see Willas through Connington? The Tyrells would be invaluable.

And for what it's worth, I think the Tyrells are exaggerating Loras' wounds. To eliminate any possibility of Cersei deciding to take a Tyrell down with her and name Loras as her champion, due to his Kingsguard position. Even though Loras would probably win, the risk is still there. 

On the whole, I think the Tyrells have a huge role to play in the Wars to come, not as contenders, but supporters of contenders to the Throne. Probably Aegon.

[emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

I think Willas will be a huge fan-favorite after tWoW and he is destined to be a schemer, he is crippled after all.

• 10 months later...

I picked up on some hints today in a reread that lead me to suspect we have already met Willas Tyrell. I think the Blue Bard might be Willas.

Hair died blue has been used for a disguise by fAegon and Jon Connington. I know it's supposed to be "Tyroshi fashion," but it seems like a clue that the person behind the blue dye has a hidden identity. (I don't know yet who Daario is, but I don't think he has revealed 100% of his story.)

The second time we meet the Blue Bard, we are told that he smells like rosewater. The Tyrells are all about roses, of course and, shortly before we meet the Blue Bard for the first time, we get this line on the same page with his first appearance: "Ser Loras is so Tyrell he pisses rosewater." (AFfC, Cersei III) This is the kind of subtle foreshadowing GRRM likes to throw in for people to catch on rereads.

'... Taena tells me that you are called the Blue Bard.'

‘I am, Your Grace.’ The singer’s boots were supple blue calfskin, his breeches fine blue wool. The tunic he wore was pale blue silk slashed with shiny blue satin. He had even gone so far as to dye his hair blue, in the Tyroshi fashion. Long and curly, it fell to his shoulders and smelled as if it had been washed in rosewater. From blue roses, no doubt. At least his teeth are white. They were good teeth, not the least bit crooked.
“You have no other name?”
A hint of pink suffused his cheeks. “As a boy, I was called Wat. A fine name for a plowboy, less fitting for a singer.”
The Blue Bard’s eyes were the same color as Robert’s. For that alone, she hated him. 'It is easy to see why you are Lady Margaery's favorite.' (AFfC, Cersei IX)

So here we have some interesting hints, including the rosewater (= Tyrell) clue; a reference to blue roses, which is associated with Bael the Bard, a king who was disguised as a singer (and with Jon Snow who seems to have a hidden identity of some kind); and a reference to King Robert's eyes. Other times a young man or boy has an older man's eyes, it seems to be a hint about genetic inheritance - maybe that undermines this Willas theory and instead implies that the Blue Bard is one of Robert's hidden bastards. (There are a lot of references to teeth in the books, too, but I haven't tried to analyze them systematically.)

But the thing that really put me on the Willas track was the "I was called Wat" line, a slightly evasive response to Cersei's direct question. Could Willas have a middle name? Would the initials W.A.T. stand for Willas A. Tyrell?

After Qyburn tortures him, the reader learns more of his background. His father was a barrel-maker. Barrels seem to be part of the egg motif (along with ships). Tyrion "hatches" from a barrel and from the hulls of some ships after he makes his way to Essos. The Blue Bard says that making a lute is like making a barrel. When Cersei smashed his lute across his face, was this a symbolic egg hatching, representing a symbolic rebirth?

There were witnesses who saw Willas injured in the jousting match with Oberyn Martell, and he is described as able to walk but with a bad leg. What if that leg healed over time? Or what if he was never really disabled but the family chose to spread that story so Willas could hide from view or stay out of the pressure for arranged marriages, combat obligations and court intrigue? Supposedly Willas stayed in touch with Oberyn, and we know that Oberyn was a master of the long game and (we suspect) of disguising people such as the sand snakes for secret missions.

I know people are tired of the secret identity theories, but this one seems too ripe to ignore.

Spoiler

In Arianne II, a Tyrell army is reported to be marching from King's Landing to Storms End to face Aegon.

The Lannister/Tyrell alliance is crumbling.Lannisters are becoming less powerful. With a defection of Tarlys and Rowans and a huge defeat in this battle, Tyrells will be in a weak place and forced to ally with Aegon. Jon Connnighton will meet with Willas and discuss about that alliance.Garlan will deal with the military part (help the south against Euron and then fight for Aegon). I think Aegon will favour Tarlys and Rowans and give to one of them the lordship of the Reach.Tyrells will keep Highgarden and become vassals, which is why they will ally with Daenerys in the upcoming Dance with Dragons.

16 hours ago, Seams said:

I picked up on some hints today in a reread that lead me to suspect we have already met Willas Tyrell. I think the Blue Bard might be Willas.

Hair died blue has been used for a disguise by fAegon and Jon Connington. I know it's supposed to be "Tyroshi fashion," but it seems like a clue that the person behind the blue dye has a hidden identity. (I don't know yet who Daario is, but I don't think he has revealed 100% of his story.)

The second time we meet the Blue Bard, we are told that he smells like rosewater. The Tyrells are all about roses, of course and, shortly before we meet the Blue Bard for the first time, we get this line on the same page with his first appearance: "Ser Loras is so Tyrell he pisses rosewater." (AFfC, Cersei III) This is the kind of subtle foreshadowing GRRM likes to throw in for people to catch on rereads.

'... Taena tells me that you are called the Blue Bard.'

‘I am, Your Grace.’ The singer’s boots were supple blue calfskin, his breeches fine blue wool. The tunic he wore was pale blue silk slashed with shiny blue satin. He had even gone so far as to dye his hair blue, in the Tyroshi fashion. Long and curly, it fell to his shoulders and smelled as if it had been washed in rosewater. From blue roses, no doubt. At least his teeth are white. They were good teeth, not the least bit crooked.
“You have no other name?”
A hint of pink suffused his cheeks. “As a boy, I was called Wat. A fine name for a plowboy, less fitting for a singer.”
The Blue Bard’s eyes were the same color as Robert’s. For that alone, she hated him. 'It is easy to see why you are Lady Margaery's favorite.' (AFfC, Cersei IX)

So here we have some interesting hints, including the rosewater (= Tyrell) clue; a reference to blue roses, which is associated with Bael the Bard, a king who was disguised as a singer (and with Jon Snow who seems to have a hidden identity of some kind); and a reference to King Robert's eyes. Other times a young man or boy has an older man's eyes, it seems to be a hint about genetic inheritance - maybe that undermines this Willas theory and instead implies that the Blue Bard is one of Robert's hidden bastards. (There are a lot of references to teeth in the books, too, but I haven't tried to analyze them systematically.)

But the thing that really put me on the Willas track was the "I was called Wat" line, a slightly evasive response to Cersei's direct question. Could Willas have a middle name? Would the initials W.A.T. stand for Willas A. Tyrell?

After Qyburn tortures him, the reader learns more of his background. His father was a barrel-maker. Barrels seem to be part of the egg motif (along with ships). Tyrion "hatches" from a barrel and from the hulls of some ships after he makes his way to Essos. The Blue Bard says that making a lute is like making a barrel. When Cersei smashed his lute across his face, was this a symbolic egg hatching, representing a symbolic rebirth?

There were witnesses who saw Willas injured in the jousting match with Oberyn Martell, and he is described as able to walk but with a bad leg. What if that leg healed over time? Or what if he was never really disabled but the family chose to spread that story so Willas could hide from view or stay out of the pressure for arranged marriages, combat obligations and court intrigue? Supposedly Willas stayed in touch with Oberyn, and we know that Oberyn was a master of the long game and (we suspect) of disguising people such as the sand snakes for secret missions.

I know people are tired of the secret identity theories, but this one seems too ripe to ignore.

You theory is not feasible and will make no sense towards Willas at All.

Ignoring the fact that Willas is the Heir to Highgarden and the one male Tyrell left holding the fort, as Mace, Garlan and Loras have their little adventures? Willas is also so important that he cannot put a foot out of castle without several body guards shadowing him, let alone go undercover as simple Bard. You forget that only reason Oberyn was able to have so much fun is that his brother Doran was holding the reigns, and for Tyrells Willas is Doran.

Secondly, its a known and confirmed fact that Willas is lame. His leg is healed already long time ago, it just healed wrong - lame. Only way to fix it is to have modern surgeon break it again and put it right, do you see Oberyn or Maesters having know-how for this complicated surgery in middle ages Westeros?

Finally, the MAIN reason Cersei is torturing Blue Bard is not only for info on Margaery but also to force him to accuse Margaery in infidelity. That means presenting him Publicly during the trial. What do you think would happen if Tyrells recognize Blue Bard as Willas, the heir to Highgarden? Its basically declaration of war to them, they will drop everything and attack KL and Casterly Rock at once, unless you think book Cersei going to do TV Cersei thing right there and there? 

Archived