I'm sorry, but they really blew the Drogon scene (book spoilers)

In the books they start throwing spears at Drogon BEFORE he attacks any of them. It is what causes Drogon to start roasting everyone. In the show he straight up roasts them all before anyone tries to hurt him. These people don't even really read the books they're so quick to defend.

Reading the forums, it seems like most here just like to complain period. You'd think most of them hate everything to do with this series.

He was attacked, but not by former slavers in masks with no military training. And no, you wouldn't throw a spear, you would run the second you saw his shadow. Please.

Nope, I'd have single handedly taken him out with my trusty magical spear of the summer isles.......

I mean, Dany was standing perfectly still in front of Drogon while the Harpies just stand there dumbstruck. Not one of them thought to hurl a spear at Dany, their main target?

Also, this is the kicker: How long do you think Dany stood there, nearly completely motionless?

5 seconds? 10 seconds? 20 seconds?

Nope.... 30 GODDAMN SECONDS!

30 seconds is an eternity in a battle.... And yet, not a thing happened to her.

This moment right here is where I lost my suspension of disbelief (giant CGI dragon aside).

Saying everything that happens is "bad writing" is critically discussing anything.

Not everything bad about the show is the result of bad writing, just most things. For instance: The terrible FX of Daenerys on Drogon were not a result of bad writing.

They? The Sons of the Harpy? What books are you reading?

The SotH are much more apt at fighting on the show. They don't have a seperate guard than the Unsullied for the sake of not casting a ton of unnecessary extras. It doesn't make a difference, the SotH are obviously capable of fighting Unsullied hand-to-hand, but it's terrible to assume they can lob a spear 20 feet at a stationary target?

They really should have shown a shot of the Sons retreating after the dragon burned a sufficient number of them. Or more Unsullied arriving in the arena. Anything to explain why the Sons suddenly stopped attacking. The whole time she was mounting Drogon I was thinking 'aren't the sons still there? Why did they stop and give her time to get on him?'

I thought it was very considerate of the Sons to come at Dany & Friends one by one rather than swarming/rushing at them en masse. Or at least that's what it seemed like to me.

Shouldn't there have been a lot more Unsullied guarding their queen's perimeter?

The SotH are much more apt at fighting on the show. They don't have a seperate guard than the Unsullied for the sake of not casting a ton of unnecessary extras. It doesn't make a difference, the SotH are obviously capable of fighting Unsullied hand-to-hand, but it's terrible to assume they can lob a spear 20 feet at a stationary target?

You've pointed out another problem. Sons of the Harpy taking out Unsullied as if SotH are trained soldiers. Another example of crappy writing.

Not everything bad about the show is the result of bad writing, just most things. For instance: The terrible FX of Daenerys on Drogon were not a result of bad writing.

So, a finite budget also makes it bad? Do you want to donate your money so they can up the budget? Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?

So, a finite budget also makes it bad? Do you want to donate your money so they can up the budget? Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?

Perhaps if they didn't blow the budget on Hardhome (which is an almost entirely fabricated and plot destroying D&D invention) they could have rendered the Daenerys/Drogon scene better.

Perhaps if they didn't blow the budget on Hardhome (which is an almost entirely fabricated and plot destroying D&D invention) they could have rendered the Daenerys/Drogon scene better.

Don't forget those 600 faces that Arya's STILL not wearing....

Don't forget those 600 faces that Arya's STILL not wearing....

Yep. A season of Arya sweeping floors (precious time) and then walking through a hall of faces (precious money) and then people complain there's no time or money.

I love the show, but regardless of the reasons, I found the CG poor in spots, and that made the sequence less enjoyable for me. There's really no solution because the scene is done and we are only left to move on.

Also, I don't entirely think the budget was at fault. Hardhome also had a comparatively small budget and it worked. I think it's possible to direct around the hokier CG.

That said, I think the rest of the criticisms are a little silly. Commenters here seem really certain about how people would behave if attacked by a fire breathing dragon in the midst of a battle.

Plot destroying? More like best addition EVER! GRRM probably wishes he'd have thought of it.

Plot destroying? More like best addition EVER! GRRM probably wishes he'd have thought of it.

You do know that the plot requires a particular thing to happen to Jon now, and that Jon going to Hardhome to combat WW and zombies has basically eliminated any motive for that thing to happen. We got a cool scene at the cost of any consistency in the plot.

Archived