I'm sorry, but they really blew the Drogon scene (book spoilers)

You know, I've said this a couple of times already, so probably I should just shut up, but I really have to say it one more time. And pardon my shouting, but a man who wants to kill you standing next to you with a sword HAS YOUR FULL ATTENTION! It really doesn't matter what else comes along, unless it is actively trying to kill you, too, and right now.

Your little theory is exploded by the fact that many of the SoTH ran.

We're talking about characters - their arcs and motivations. Sons of the Harpy are a bunch of former slave-owners who are slothy cowards untrained in combat. The idea that they would stand toe-to-toe like some seasoned warriors with a dragon who just appeared out of the blue is ridiculous.

I agree. How about that! Not the rest of your posting: good enough is all we are going to get given the circumstances. Perhaps everyone will change his/her tune after the finale.

That is what I believed she was doing. Others have posted she was trying to get a moment of peace before being offed. Feeling him and/or summoning him, even if unconsciously makes more sense to me.

It looked very much like she was excepting her fate. I think D&D were going for a brief moment were unsullied viewers would feel like the situation was lost.

Your little response is exploded by not reading my entire post, including the part where I talked about the sole exception being hauling ass.

Which they all should have done if the Sons of the Harpy are going to make any sense.

As I said in another thread: she doesnt earn Drogon. She doesnt make him submit to her. Nothing has changed since she last tried to touch him. I REALLY wanted to see Dany beat Drogon down and get physical for a change.

One thing I did enjoy about it is for a fraction of a second I thought they were actually going to kill Dany. The moment she grabbed Missandei's hand was tense. But yeah, don't rewatch it with a critical eye on the action. It's full of stunt people being stunt people, waiting for their cues and doing stage combat.

Borodin, why are you so sure the SotH are all pasty former slave owners? We havent had that revealed yet. They might well be hired sellswords, and even Daarios own men are not out of question. If I were Daario I would want to weaken Dany, get rid of the unsullied, the nobles, yet remain seen by the people as loyal to the great savior. It would make sense and be interesting.

As I said in another thread: she doesnt earn Drogon. She doesnt make him submit to her. Nothing has changed since she last tried to touch him. I REALLY wanted to see Dany beat Drogon down and get physical for a change.

One thing I did enjoy about it is for a fraction of a second I thought they were actually going to kill Dany. The moment she grabbed Missandei's hand was tense. But yeah, don't rewatch it with a critical eye on the action. It's full of stunt people being stunt people, waiting for their cues and doing stage combat.

Yes! No whip. Unearned.

As for the stage fighting, it was slightly better than Dorne in terms of crap.

How in the hell would Sons of the Harpy, who are just members of former slaver families, have the skill and bravery to attack a magical dragon? It makes no sense.

Attack a magical dragon... brilliant line.

Edit- I said this in the marathon book episode 9 thread. I've worked with sulky(sit behind,not on) horses for a decade and my favorite horses over the years, that completely trusted me, would never not completely freak if I tried jumping on them. Also, they devoted an entire scene in an episode when Drogon freaked on Dany when he had a goat. Jorah "...these are dragons, khaleesi..."

I can't understand why they can make a dragon look fantastic, but a human woman who actually exists on the back of a dragon look terrible. The first shot of her flying off the image of Dany wasn't even staying level with Drogon, some of the worst effects we've seen so far.

Did anyone else for a worrying moment think that when she closed her eyes, she was gonna try and telepathically summon Drogon?

I thought her eyes were going to turn white like a skinchanger. As wrong as that would be... I would have enjoyed it.

That scene was never going to live up to what's in my head. I knew that going in. It's also one of my favorite chapters from the books, so I was really worried about them screwing it up. I don't think they did. Sure it was very, very different from the book, but I really liked it overall. I definitely felt a lot of emotion when Dany climbed on Drogon's back. There was one shot I thought the cgi looked a little wonky, but I thought the whole sequence looked great for the most part. The music was fantastic, as was Tyrion's face when he saw Dany fly away.

It's definitely up there with the birth of the dragons, and Dracarys at Astapor, as one of my favorite Dany moments of the show. I'm far, far happier with how it turned out than I was with the HotU. Which I think is the only really big Dany scene they screwed up (I don't personally hate the Mysha scene like so many did).

That, too. I left that one out.

You burn Shireen, you end the episode right there, play the music over it. Period.

That would have been too much imo. Sure they've ended episodes with some terrible things, but never a little girl being burned alive by her father.

This is entertainment at the end of the day. People need a reason to keep watching. This show can be very depressing, especially for Unsullied. I think it was the right choice to give us something uplifting after such a heavy scene.

That would have been too much imo. Sure they've ended episodes with some terrible things, but never a little girl being burned alive by her father.

This is entertainment at the end of the day. People need a reason to keep watching. This show can be very depressing, especially for Unsullied. I think it was the right choice to give us something uplifting after such a heavy scene.

Agreed. It would have been a terrible decision to end on that, because it's probably the most depressing thing they've ever done. And episode 6 ended on a depressing note, and episode 8 ended on a depressing note. You don't want 9 to also end on a depressing note.

Then don't have Shireen burned for absolutely no reason.

Once you decide to do that, you treat it with respect. She deserved that respect and she didn't get it.

Agree with some but disagree with some as well.

1. I think it is believable that everyone might be distracted by a huge flying man killing beastly fantastical creature that was thought to be extinct for 97% of each person's life. A creature that is humongous and breathes fire. A beast that many there had not seen ever or in a while (the good guys). A beast that is very unpredictable. I'd say it would be akin to a T-Rex walking into a battlefield.

2. I think they wanted to convey that Dany was comfortable on Drogon. This was her dragon that she thought had abandoned her. He not only has returned, but he saved her and is now letting her ride him, something that she has heard about happening in stories. I buy that she could look happy instead of afraid.

:cheers:

Agreed. It would have been a terrible decision to end on that, because it's probably the most depressing thing they've ever done. And episode 6 ended on a depressing note, and episode 8 ended on a depressing note. You don't want 9 to also end on a depressing note.

Episode 10 very well might as well. Especially if it's

For the Watch!

Archived