I'm sorry, but they really blew the Drogon scene (book spoilers)

As bad as some of the fighting/reaction to fighting looked at times (the "staredown" sequence looked as though it was set up strictly for a trailer shot), the only thing that really disappointed me was Dany and her lack of urgency to anything. Yeah, we can chalk it up to "resigned to her fate" and all that, but it almost came off like a dream sequence, where she thought she was invisible or something. It just lacked an intensity on her part that I thought was necessary for the scene to come off well.

I honestly wish we didn't get the mounting/flying close-up moments, and instead just got Dany caressing Drogon, with the shot immediately back to the fighting. In time, Drogon unleashes a scream that's more muted than before, but still makes everyone turn, and in the "Oh crap, what about Dany?" moment, she and Drogon are small and well off in the distance, with much left to the imagination.

I thought Drogon himself was well done for the most part, if a bit on the small side. Someone before mentioned his extended "runway" moment when trying to take off, and that did seem odd (and as I mentioned before, that whole scene could have just been avoided). Although, I personally LOVED his awkward lumbering, as that's what a proper wyvern/dragon should look like when walking; it is their one "handicap" when missing forelegs, and every creature looks more legitimate when their "weaknesses" are exposed.

The scene lacked of tension, and seemed rather artificial to me. maybe that's because she spends a whole hour to ride Drogon, i don't know.....

BTW, the music was amazing, and it made the scene better, and, overall, I liked it. Not as much as when I read it, but it was OK.

Would you throw a spear at a dragon? No. Neither would I. Having the Sons of the Harpy attack Drogon was terrible writing.

Anything else would have been terrible writing. Hundreds of people intent on ending Dany's leadership run away because a dragon appears? A single creature that people have little experience with? I don't think so.

Or maybe they'd rush in with swords so Drogon could step on them and send them flying. lmao.

When Drogon first showed up, he was a potential threat to all combatants. It would be incredibly stupid NOT to watch him. Even the 'good guys' had good reason to be concerned. He's a wild animal that breathes fire, flies, and can break every bone in your body with a twitch. You do not ignore a freaking dragon. You try to kill it, fast. Or you die.

• 3 weeks later...

We don't know there were 'countless' Harpys left.
The target of the Harpys was gone so not much reason to stick around.

What do you mean "we don't know"?  We saw that the arena was full of them when Drogon appeared, so those who left the arena to get away from him had to go somewhere in the near vicinity, such as the various passageways of the arena and nearby streets.  Do you think they vanished into thin air?

The target of the Harpys wasn't just Dany herself.  The target was her regime so it would have made sense for them to kill them all.  Since we didn't see the Unsullied stream into the arena, it's logical that the SotH would have been able to do away with Dany's mates quite easily as they greatly outnumbered them and Drogon was no longer there to protect them with his strength and fire.  It was bad writing.  You can't convince me otherwise.

I still stand by my opinion that the writers should have stuck to this scene as it was written by GRRM in the book, that is the SotH should have been left out of it completely.

• 4 months later...

I don't like how soft/whitewashed the scene was the meaning goes from asserting her dominance as a Targ that tames a blood thiristy dragon to ohh my poor baby ca... I mean dragon. 

Archived