A Game of Thrones UK First Edition Hardcover compared to UK BCA Edition

Westeros,

Is there any possible way to identify a UK First Edition AGOT v. a UK BCA Edition AGOT just by looking at the front cover? I know with the U.S. versions there is a difference in grey v. silver cover. The reason I am asking is there is a photo of a HC online of only the front of the book. I have attached an image. I hope it posts. Side question, is there any value to a UK BCA edition?

Thanks All.

http://i.imgur.com/K6aCrz5.jpg

The 1st edition has foil stamping on GRRMs name and the book itself is red. It looks like this book could possibly be black??

I would ask definitely ask questions before you buy... ask if there is a price on the dust jacket, what color the boards are, and the copyright page should have a 1-9 number line.

BTW - There are many sellers out there now trying to put a much higher value to the BCA editions because the trade edition is so rare. It has gone up in value but most are very overpriced. The truly valuable book is the 1st trade.

Thanks Becca, Glodowski, your comments are helpful. It does appear that the boards on this may be black (you would expect red to show through in that bottom left corner, right?). I've always liked this cover, but given the damage, I was hoping there would be some other reason to justify paying $40.00 for it.

Anyone care to weigh in on value of a 5th print US AGOT (golden lion)? I want to get one for $16.00, but my wife insists that these things should have some resale value if she decides that there is no more room on the shelf. I've got too many as is, she says.

Once again thanks.

The 4th print was the first to have the golden lion cover, so the 5th would be worth much less. I have seen the later prints like that be worth a little more when in a matching set. Alone it's worth $30 or more, just because there are collectors out there who want every variant, but aren't really concerned with print #.

Archived