Rant and Rave without Repercussion 2 [Book Spoilers]

Gargarax

Me too, I really want him to die so we can both be put out of our misery.

I'm very curious to see what will be so ambiguous with the Winterfell arc. Then again, everything in Winterfell is so damn stupid that any ending would be 'ambiguous': Boltons win - wut? Satannis wins - even worse. Neither wins - stupid.

It's a lose-lose scenario, and no mistake.

Fuck it. Seriously. Kill him on Sunday. I don't care who does it. Selyse. Sansa. Ramsay. Littlefinger. Davos. Kill him and give his army to Littlefinger or Roose or somebody and end it.

Otherewise we will be stuck with evil Stannis and sexpot Mel and Sansa all rattling around Winterfell next year.

I'm sure they're going to fuck up Trant. I loved in the books when she kills the NW guy and the kindly man asks her who did it and she says Arya Stark and he's like, thought she was gone girl...you would think we should get something like that w/Trant in this mix and match thing they've done...and such an exchange COULD be great between Maise and Tom....but since it could and would be great, I'm sure they will fail to include it. Because they suck.

They already fucked up Trant. Like, if he wasn't on her list already, that scene would have earned it. So instead of it being very important to Arya's characterization that she isn't just letting her list go and she still is going to act on this and be Arya Stark, it's now like, maybe she was pushed over the edge from what she just witnessed.

I'm seriously torn between whether or not the kill is going to be her active choice to pose as a young girl for him to rape, or if the pissy brothel owner forces her into it.

They already fucked up Trant. Like, if he wasn't on her list already, that scene would have earned it. So instead of it being very important to Arya's characterization that she isn't just letting her list go and she still is going to act on this and be Arya Stark, it's now like, maybe she was pushed over the edge from what she just witnessed.

I'm seriously torn between whether or not the kill is going to be her active choice to pose as a young girl for him to rape, or if the pissy brothel owner forces her into it.

I thought there was a bit of an overreaction to the Trant bit, but I suspect she will choose to do it, but there will be an OMG moment where he almost will succeed in raping her, because that's the show, and then she kills him.

I'm sure they're going to fuck up Trant. I loved in the books when she kills the NW guy and the kindly man asks her who did it and she says Arya Stark and he's like, thought she was gone girl...you would think we should get something like that w/Trant in this mix and match thing they've done...and such an exchange COULD be great between Maise and Tom....but since it could and would be great, I'm sure they will fail to include it. Because they suck.

Oh, I'm sure they will ruin it. I love the KM's talks with Arya as both herself and No One, but instead of doubling down on it by turning him into Jaqen, D&D have just managed to fuck it up. I love when the KM is all like: Oh, Our Friend Arya Stark has returned, LOL, would you like....some milk? This doesn't even count how the show hasn't even included the FM and Braavos in the slavery storyline to connect with Dany and her dealings. Instead of getting 5 minutes from the Not So Kindly Jaqen...........on the history of the city and the FM and slavery, we got 5 minutes of InstaPedeo Trant inspecting girls.

They suck......literally. They suck the heart and soul out of every character and every story. PERIOD!!

Yey, my first ever thread was approved. Happy to have the rants and ravings back!

Yes, the finale will be packed. There will be a new hype. All the awfulness of the season will be forgotten, because ... finale was badass! I hate them for doing that - manipulating the mainstream audience with spectacle to forget about all bad storytelling. It's the old "bread and games" of the Romans, entertaining the plebs with gore to distract from all the shit outside the collosseum.

I will try really hard to keep my vows not to watch season six, but then it doesn't hurt so much anymore. I could watch Shireen being burnt and felt almost nothing. I saw actors carrying out bad directing based on a bad script. I could not suspend my disbelief, the whole thing had become to ridiculous. I might wanna hate-watch again next year. However, if TWOW won't be out by then, I won't - no more book spoilers from this weak, weak show.

In two weeks, I'll start my re-read, erasing all my brain remembers of the show with the events of the books. I've also ordered about five new series' from Amazon to help me forget this season.

Oh christ, they still need Kevan killed, don't they? And Pycelle

There was a rumor last week (I think) that there was a scene shot for Dorne that included an actor who was not new to the show, but the presence of whom had to be kept a secret. A lot of people seem to think it will be Varys. I suppose that's a way to have Doran's big 'fire and blood' thing, but unless Varys hitches a ride on Littlefinger's floo network he'll never get back to KL in time for the Kevan+Pycelle thing to happen.

I'm not sure if Kevan and Pycelle will die in the finale. We haven't seen Kevan since he returned and we all know how subtle the foreshadowing was for the Jorah-greyscale thing. Maybe Varys will be in Dorne and Kevan will survive until sometime in S6?

Me too, I really want him to die so we can both be put out of our misery.

I'm very curious to see what will be so ambiguous with the Winterfell arc. Then again, everything in Winterfell is so damn stupid that any ending would be 'ambiguous': Boltons win - wut? Satannis wins - even worse. Neither wins - stupid.

It's a lose-lose scenario, and no mistake.

I am hoping for the sudden appearance of the Northerners under the leadership of Cley Cerwyn junior and Lyanna Mormong (they are the only ones which have an mention in the show). Cley should revenge the flaying of his father, mother and uncle and ...? (it is in their only theme: revenge)

Their death, just because they refused to PAY TAXES (and because they only wanted to pay then to Stark), should have any meaning, no?

There was a rumor last week (I think) that there a scene shot for Dorne that included an actor who was not new to the show, but the presence of whom had to be kept a secret. A lot of people seem to think it will be Varys. I suppose that's a way to have Doran's big 'fire and blood' thing, but unless Varys hitches a ride on Littlefinger's floo network he'll never get back to KL in time for the Kevan+Pycelle thing to happen.

They used a "she" pronoun about the mystery character. Most people thought Arianne, but Trys is the official "heir."

Oh, I'm sure they will ruin it. I love the KM's talks with Arya as both herself and No One, but instead of doubling down on it by turning him into Jaqen, D&D have just managed to fuck it up. I love when the KM is all like: Oh, Our Friend Arya Stark has returned, LOL, would you like....some milk? This doesn't even count how the show hasn't even included the FM and Braavos in the slavery storyline to connect with Dany and her dealings. Instead of getting 5 minutes from the Not So Kindly Jaqen...........on the history of the city and the FM and slavery, we got 5 minutes of InstaPedeo Trant inspecting girls.

They suck......literally. They suck the heart and soul out of every character and every story. PERIOD!!

Or they lying game? Hello. What in the hell? How does a show watcher know what is going on there? They can't include a line of the waif saying, let's play a game?????? She barges in randomly like a nut and starts asking questions and hitting Arya? LOLZ. How hard is that to explain? Either explain it or cut it. It doesn't have to be in there, but if you put it in the show can we have it like make some sense and have some context?

I thought there was a bit of an overreaction to the Trant bit, but I suspect she will choose to do it, but there will be an OMG moment where he almost will succeed in raping her, because that's the show, and then she kills him.

I despise the villianing-up of Trant precisely because:

1. The FM don't judge; they give the gift when asked (by the deather or deathee). IOW the opposite of what they've shown

2. Arya may be operating on some twisted version of honour in the books (Daeron) but it's MEANT to be twisted and fucked up. We are meant to recognise that this girl is morphing into a ruthless killer even as she struggles with retaining her identity (it's a fascinating paradox that she tries to do the latter via the former aka pulling a Stark and killing a deserter).

So, the mere idea of giving her a straight up righteous mission (kill the paedo!) is fucking ludicrous. Once again, D&D strip away complexity and nuance in favour of a lazy arsed choice. Now Arya is going to the the hero who saves the world from paedophiles. Applause, all!

They used a "she" pronoun about the mystery character. Most people thought Arianne, but Trys is the official "heir."

Oh, I missed the pronoun! Yeah I can't see it being Arianne...Dany would be 'shocking'. The finale description says that she's "surrounded by strangers". That would match the Dothraki, but it could also be that she'd show up in Dorne...although that time-scale seems off as well. Could Drogon actually fly that fast?

I can't think of any other current female cast members who would be there, though.

There was a rumor last week (I think) that there was a scene shot for Dorne that included an actor who was not new to the show, but the presence of whom had to be kept a secret. A lot of people seem to think it will be Varys. I suppose that's a way to have Doran's big 'fire and blood' thing, but unless Varys hitches a ride on Littlefinger's floo network he'll never get back to KL in time for the Kevan+Pycelle thing to happen.

I'm not sure if Kevan and Pycelle will die in the finale. We haven't seen Kevan since he returned and we all know how subtle the foreshadowing was for the Jorah-greyscale thing. Maybe Varys will be in Dorne and Kevan will survive until sometime in S6?

IIRC, they did have Qyburn mention to Cersei on his visit that Kevan was Hand of the King......I think he's supposedly in the city already. The show will do..........bunch of Kevan in the previously on, show him doing a bunch of things, quickly, in the finale, including being mean to Poor Put Upon Queen Carol, and then......Varys will kill him. Someone will, I'm guessing.

I love the title. :rofl:

lol, "btw, yeah... Dorne is pointless but be patient, it might be not!". Even they accept it has been a big waste of time.

Did the show ever explain why the Harpies were killing Meereen nobles?

Did the show ever explain the Harpies at all? :dunno:

Pointless to bring Arianne now, tbh. Or Quent, Jon, Aegon... even bringing Euron now is pointless.

Someone mentioned LOST in the last thread. Well, you know what? For all its (glaring) flaws, that show maintained its continuity far, far better. And it didn't have ready-made canon to look to. Hell, even their treatment of characters was far more mature, nuanced and respectful.

That would be me:

So many defenders, and the heart wants what it wants, so if the show makes them happy, so be it. The first season of the "adaptation" made me pretty happy. The second, almost as much. I didn't care for the Talisa business; Robb's failure to uphold his end of the Frey bargain was a matter of his honor, not of falling for a smart-mouthed foreigner, and the marriage before the Seven made me want to hurl. Even the third season had more good points than bad. The fourth showed some promise, but then the Jaime-Cersei stuff got butchered and ground into a different kind of sausage, Sansa grew feathers, the Tysha backstory mentioned in two seasons previous got dropped, too much time was spent beetle crushing KUSHKUSHKUSH, Oberyn could hardly have a scene that didn't include T&A, and so on. I wasn't very happy. But even amid all that flotsam, there was still some tone of the books, some sense of GRRM's tale, some faint beat of the heart that made these characters alive for me.

Then came this season, and I am very unhappy. There's not enough Song of Ice and Fire and far too much noise being made by people who don't seem to understand that TONE, that SENSE, that HEARTBEAT that drives the books. "O! But they're making good television!" say some. No, they're not. They're making "Lost" in leather armor, "Sopranos" with swords. They seem to have made a checklist of plot points and are ticking them off, one by one, but at the cost of the narrative.

And that's the shame of it. I got out my Season 1 DVDs and watched a couple episodes, and they're still entertaining, still good, still compelling, and still very faithful to the books. The TV series has run out of that source. In better hands, more careful, more skilled, more caring hands, these Season 5 episodes would have been far better, and I do not thing that speaks well of what's ahead for two more seasons.

Unfortunately I posted this at the beginning of the "child rape" war and no one even bothered to respond.

I watched "Lost," loved, loved, loved Season 1, started losing that lovin' feeling in Season 2, a little more the next year, and so on. At the finale, I realized I was crying at all the reunions, and looked up at the clock and there was 15 MINUTES LEFT WITH NO RESOLUTION OF ANY OF THE MYSTERIES. Plus Kate's memory being jogged by a look into Claire's Magic Vagina AND Christian Shepherd at a church ... I think I drank a glass of single malt afterward. An iced-tea glass. But I digress.

My point is, "Lost" was what it was: Escapist, slightly spooky fun, with a lot of really good-looking people, and it HAD NO CANON. There was no million-selling foundational document for it. No one was getting Jack or Sawyer from point A to a corresponding point B in the second Volume of "Lost: The Novels." I didn't go into it with any kind of emotional investment in any of these people or their story.

I think that's why the book snobs have been so horrified by this season. The showrunning jacklegs aren't being true to the source, but worse, they're not being true to even the SPIRIT of the source. I don't think theirs is a work of love. Listen to their comments: What they LOVE is SHOCK.

Anyway, sorry for the Tolstoy. I just feel like ranting.

I despise the villianing-up of Trant precisely because:

1. The FM don't judge; they give the gift when asked (by the deather or deathee). IOW the opposite of what they've shown

2. Arya may be operating on some twisted version of honour in the books (Daeron) but it's MEANT to be twisted and fucked up. We are meant to recognise that this girl is morphing into a ruthless killer even as she struggles with retaining her identity (it's a fascinating paradox that she tries to do the latter via the former aka pulling a Stark and killing a deserter).

So, the mere idea of giving her a straight up righteous mission (kill the paedo!) is fucking ludicrous. Once again, D&D strip away complexity and nuance in favour of a lazy arsed choice. Now Arya is going to the the hero who saves the world from paedophiles. Applause, all!

Exactly. Same with the Mercy chapter, and that is even more disquieting because she thinks of those means on her own volition. Raff doesn't walk around with a pedo sign hanging off his neck.

Archived