Nissa Nissa

gregsjt

We know from the books that Azor Ahai makes a sacrifice of his wife Nissa Nissa to complete the forging of Lightbringer and complete his transformation into Azor Ahai. Was the burning of Shireen meant to be the same type of sacrifice in the eyes of Mel and Stannis?

That would be giving way too much credit to D&D that they'd even remember Nissa Nissa (these are the guys who misplaced Eastwatch and thereby seemed to forget that Jon traveled by boat)

Now in terms of the books, I could see Shireen's sacrifice being the stand-in for Nissa Nissa, or perhaps even Mel herself.

Shireen is foremost in Stannis's thoughts in a lot of his speeches, so from that and knowing that he does have a great depth of feeling, I think she's probably the person he loves most in the world, Davos being second, and Mel possibly third.

That would be giving way too much credit to D&D that they'd even remember Nissa Nissa (these are the guys who misplaced Eastwatch and thereby seemed to forget that Jon traveled by boat)

Now in terms of the books, I could see Shireen's sacrifice being the stand-in for Nissa Nissa, or perhaps even Mel herself.

Shireen is foremost in Stannis's thoughts in a lot of his speeches, so from that and knowing that he does have a great depth of feeling, I think she's probably the person he loves most in the world, Davos being second, and Mel possibly third.

The scene at the Wall was done for dramatic effect, they didn't forget they traveled on boat.

So far, Daenerys had her Nissa Nissa moment with Khal Drogo, Jon Snow had his Nissa Nissa moment with Ygritte, Tyrion had his Nissa Nissa moment with Shae, Victarion had his Nissa Nissa moment with his wife, and now Stannis had his Nissa Nissa with Shireen. Everyone of them could be AA reborn.

Not only was that scene for dramatic effect (the Jon/Alliser staredown), it was also a 'rite of passage' for the Free Folk. They have been attacking the Wall for centuries, passing through the gate represents the 'burying of the hatchet' from their and the Lord Commanders point of view. It's a pity a lot of other NW members do not agree with this POV.

As for Shireen being Nissa Nissa, I do not believe that Stannis is Azor Azhai reborn, so him burning Shireen can not be seen as part of that prophecy, since Stannis performs the burning. If however in the books Shireen is burned by someone else (who is more likely to be AAR), then this could be feasible.

Perhaps if Stannis were Azor Ahai his daughter's sacrifice wouldn't have been in vain.

Jon has already stabbed Longclaw up to its hilt into Qhorin Halfhand, his brother-in-arms, and Melisandre can't see anything other than Snow in her fires anymore. He's a far more likely candidate for Azor Ahai.

Daenerys intentionally or inadvertently sacrificed Drogo, her unborn son, and Mirri Maz Dur on the fire and awakened three real dragons. She was also born amidst salt and smoke on Dragonstone, a place Stannis only inhabited after Robert's rebellion, not where he was born. She's a far more likely candidate than Stannis as well.

We know from the books that Azor Ahai makes a sacrifice of his wife Nissa Nissa to complete the forging of Lightbringer and complete his transformation into Azor Ahai. Was the burning of Shireen meant to be the same type of sacrifice in the eyes of Mel and Stannis?

yes, it was and I don't really understand why everybody is so pissed off with it

sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do

There was no Lightbringer so how could she be Nissa Nissa? In the story Nissa Nissa's soul became part of Lightbringer because it was that actual sword that killed her, not a random fire or anything else. And though it is debatable, I'm also of the opinion that it has to be a willing sacrifice.

yes, it was and I don't really understand why everybody is so pissed off with it

sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do

Agreed. Which is why Stannis is the One True King. No one else would have gone though with it. It is the kings job to put the realm before himself no matter how painful it may be for him. People are confused and think Stannis did it for power so he can take the Iron Throne, but really he did it to save every man, woman and child in Westeros from being torn apart by zombies in the night that will never end. It is another ambiguously heroic act, but it is just done in a way that causes most people (who don't think about the bigger picture) to view Stannis as a monster, simply because they see a little girl burn to death at her fathers command. Its called irony. But hey, not everyone can grasp the complexity which is Stannis. It takes a certain kind of intellect ;)

Dany basically covers all the bases for AA when she sacrifices Khal and walks into the flame. The question is can there be two AAs? It's the song of ice and fire. Not the song of fire... I also question the literal telling of the AA lightbringer story.

Dany basically covers all the bases for AA when she sacrifices Khal and walks into the flame. The question is can there be two AAs? It's the song of ice and fire. Not the song of fire... I also question the literal telling of the AA lightbringer story.

I think you're correct... They are meant to work together somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

So far, Daenerys had her Nissa Nissa moment with Khal Drogo, Jon Snow had his Nissa Nissa moment with Ygritte, Tyrion had his Nissa Nissa moment with Shae, Victarion had his Nissa Nissa moment with his wife, and now Stannis had his Nissa Nissa with Shireen. Everyone of them could be AA reborn.

Actually, Stannis had his Nissa Nissa with Selyse. She's dead and wouldn't have been if it wasn't for him burning Shireen.

Archived