Small Questions v.10101

Jon Weirgaryen

Does anyone have much info on the founding of the Nights Watch? I know a lot of the records were destroyed, damn NK, can't remember if there were quotes regarding the origin throughout the books or TWoIaF

I don't think their foundation is mentioned within the novels. From ACOK's harvest feast:

The music grew wilder, the drummers joined in, and Hother Umber brought forth a huge curved warhorn banded in silver. When the singer reached the part in "The Night That Ended" where the Night's Watch rode forth to meet the Others in the Battle for the Dawn, he blew a blast that set all the dogs to barking.

If the song is accurate, the NW was created before the Others were defeated.

Then at Craster's Keep Jeor Mormont tells Sam,

We never knew! But we must have known once. The Night's Watch has forgotten its true purpose, Tarly. You don't built a wall seven hundred feet high to keep savages in skins from stealing women. The Wall was made to guard the realms of men ... and not against other men, which is all the wildlings are when you come right down to it. Too many years, Tarly, too many hundreds and thousands of years. We lost sight of the true enemy.

How long was the voyage towards Braavos in the ship for Arya?

Was there a Braavosi waterdancer in any of the fighting pits?

Don't know if he's a waterdancer necessarily, but there were some Braavosi who fought in Daznak's pit

Pale Qartheen, black Summer Islanders, copper-skinned Dothraki, Tyroshi with blue beards, Lamb Men, Jogos Nhai, sullen Braavosi, brindle-skinned half-men from the jungles of Sothoros—from the ends of the world they came to die in Daznak's Pit.

Arya's journey to Braavos has currently been estimated to have lasted 2 months.. 1 month

You mean one : the timeline tells Arya gets aboard the Titan's Daughter on 01/30/300 and reaches Braavos on 03/01/300

Aah... Did I misread that so terribly..? Gosh.. although it does explain.. I already thought I was going to have to recheck that part, because two months sounded quite long...

So one month.. my mistake, I apologize :)

who has warged Mormont's annoying raven?

I think the consensus is probably Bloodraven, to keep an eye on things at the Wall.

"The Bloodraven has a 1000 eyes and One." Makes sense that he still wargs wide and far to stay informed about the goings on in Westeros - at the Wall, in King's Landing etc.

What's a woodsmoke?

Woodsmoke is the smoke that comes from burning wood.

They rode down the muddy streets of the village, past rows of small neat houses of log and undressed stone. Less than one in five were occupied, thin tendrils of woodsmoke curling up from their chimneys. (GoT Bran V)

Someone had gotten a fire started; he could smell woodsmoke drifting through the trees (ACoK Jon III).

“The Kingslayer, yes. The oathbreaker who murdered poor sad Aerys Targaryen.” Jaime snorted. “It’s not Aerys I rue, it’s Robert. ‘I hear they’ve named you Kingslayer,’ he said to me at his coronation feast. ‘Just don’t think to make it a habit.’ And he laughed. Why is it that no one names Robert oathbreaker? He tore the realm apart, yet I am the one with shit for honor.”

This coronation feast took place after the Sack of the KL for sure. Was Robert crowned after the Sack as well?

This coronation feast took place after the Sack of the KL for sure. Was Robert crowned after the Sack as well?

There'll be no coronation feast without the coronation first.

So he was crowned, and then everybody could have a feast on the occasion.

There'll be no coronation feast without the coronation first.

So he was crowned, and then everybody could have a feast on the occasion.

I remember some people arguing that Robert was crowned before the Battle of the Trident.

I remember some people arguing that Robert was crowned before the Battle of the Trident.

even if he was, there may have been a second coronation in KL, there's precedence of a second coronation.

He declared his intention to claim the throne around the time of the Trident..

That's what I remember, too.

The Kingslayer, yes. The oathbreaker who murdered poor sad Aerys Targaryen. Jaime snorted. Its not Aerys I rue, its Robert. I hear theyve named you Kingslayer, he said to me at his coronation feast. Just dont think to make it a habit. And he laughed. Why is it that no one names Robert oathbreaker? He tore the realm apart, yet I am the one with shit for honor.

Claiming the crown and the coronation are two different things.

“The Kingslayer, yes. The oathbreaker who murdered poor sad Aerys Targaryen.” Jaime snorted. “It’s not Aerys I rue, it’s Robert. ‘I hear they’ve named you Kingslayer,’ he said to me at his coronation feast. ‘Just don’t think to make it a habit.’ And he laughed. Why is it that no one names Robert oathbreaker? He tore the realm apart, yet I am the one with shit for honor.”

Robert's coronation takes place before Ned leaves King's Landing after that city's sack in order to march on Storm's End and relieve the siege there. This is based on three quotes.

At Robert’s coronation, I was made to kneel at the royal feet beside Grand Maester Pycelle and Varys the eunuch, so that he might forgive us our crimes before he took us into his service.” (ACoK 600 US hardback)

“Ser Barristan once told me that the rot in King Aerys’s reign began with Varys. The eunuch should never have been pardoned. No more than the Kingslayer. At the least, Robert should have stripped the white cloak from Jaime and sent him to the Wall as Lord Stark urged. He listened to Jon Arryn instead. I was still at Storm’s End, under siege and unconsulted.” (ASoS 411 US hardback)

emphasis added

and,

Ned did not feign surprise; Robert's hatred of the Targaryens was a madness in him. He remembered the angry words they had exchanged when Tywin Lannister had presented Robert with the corpses of Rhaegar's wife and children as a token of fealty. Ned had named that murder; Robert called it war. When he had protested that the young prince and princess were no more than babes, his new-made king had replied, "I see no babes. Only dragonspawn." Not even Jon Arryn had been able to clam that storm. Eddard Stark had ridden out that very day in a cold rage, to fight the last battles of the war alone in the south. It had taken another death to reconcile them; Lyanna's death, and the grief they had shared over her passing. (AGoT 93-94 US hardback)

emphasis added

The first quote tells us that Jaime, Pycelle, and Varys are pardoned at the coronation. The second tells us that the pardoning takes place before Ned relieves the siege at Storm's End, and the last tells us that Robert is king before Ned leaves King's Landing. It seems very clear to me that the timeframe in which the coronation takes place is limited to after Robert arrives in King's Landing from the Trident to before Ned leaves King's Landing in his "cold rage" and goes on to lift the siege at Storm's End, fight at the Tower of Joy, finds Lyanna, goes on Starfall, etc.

This does not rule out a second coronation, as Jon Weirgaryen points out. Just as with Aegon, Robert may not have had the blessing of the High Septon at the first coronation, and he would understandably like to have as many of the former supporters of Aerys to attend a second coronation as possible. Around the time of his wedding to Cersei? It has to be considered as a possibility.

Now that the coronation issue is settled, what do you say about this?

Unbidden, a memory came to her, of the feast King Aerys had thrown when Cersei first came to court, a girl as green as summer grass. Old Merryweather had been nattering about raising the duty on wine when Lord Rykker said, "If we need gold, His Grace should sit Lord Tywin on his chamber pot." Aerys and his lickspittles laughed loudly, whilst Father stared at Rykker over his wine cup. Long after the merriment had died that gaze had lingered. Rykker turned away, turned back, met Father's eyes, then ignored them, drank a tankard of ale, and stalked off red-faced, defeated by a pair of unflinching eyes.

This is the annivesary tourney in 272 as confirmed in the World Book.

She was ten when she finally saw her prince in the flesh, at the tourney her lord father had thrown to welcome King Aerys to the west. Viewing stands had been raised beneath the walls of Lannisport, and the cheers of the smallfolk had echoed off Casterly Rock like rolling thunder. They cheered Father twice as loudly as they cheered the king, the queen recalled, but only half as loudly as they cheered Prince Rhaegar.

This is the tourney in honor of Viserys's birth in 276.

It looks like Rhaegar missed his father’s anniversary tourney so that Cersei could not see him in the flesh. Or George failed :)

Hi, I'm back from a trip, with few questions. ..

1. To which languages was TWOIAF translated?

2. From ASoS Chapter 4, Tyrion I

Tywin to Tyrion:

"Joffrey and Margaery shall marry on the first day of the new year (300) , which as it happens is also the first day of the new century. The ceremony will herald the dawn of a new era."

Mighty Lord Lannister doesn't know how the calendar works?

300 is last year of III century, 301 first of IV...

2000 is last year of XX century ( placing my birth in 20th ), 2001 first year of XXI th century. ..

There is no year 0 AC. However this timeline seems to believe there is... http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/File:Chronology.png

Archived