Small Questions v.10101

Jon Weirgaryen

But I guess this situation would be very rare: if the guy didn't bother to marry her after getting her pregnant, why would he do it later?

I think in the pre-twentieth century that might have been more common in our universe. Lovers being separated by war campaign or the navy or even by long-distance travels ... there must have been a not-too uncommon situation of a guy returning home to be greeted by a child he never knew of.

Does the term "seven Kingdoms" refer to the seven Kings at the time of the conquest (including Harren of the isles and the riverlands) or the seven kingdoms that are geographically part of Westeros, including the riverlands but no iron islands? I've always wondered as there were actually 8 kingdoms during the time of the andals.

Does the term "seven Kingdoms" refer to the seven Kings at the time of the conquest (including Harren of the isles and the riverlands) or the seven kingdoms that are geographically part of Westeros, including the riverlands but no iron islands? I've always wondered as there were actually 8 kingdoms during the time of the andals.

It refers to the seven kingdoms that existed just prior to Aegon's conquest.

Kingdom of the North

Kingdom of Mountain and Vale

Kingdom of the Rock

Kingdom of The Reach

Kingdom of the Stormlands

Kingdom of Isles and Rivers

Dorne

I think in the pre-twentieth century that might have been more common in our universe. Lovers being separated by war campaign or the navy or even by long-distance travels ... there must have been a not-too uncommon situation of a guy returning home to be greeted by a child he never knew of.

Let's also not forget that there are instances where a couple cannot get married, as one of them is already married. For a real life example, look at John of Gaunt. His third wife, Katherine Swynford, had been his mistress during his marriage to his second wife, Constance of Castile. After Constance's death, John married Katherine and their children were made legitimate by a Papal bull, which was then recognized by an act of parliament. Their children, the Beauforts, were not allowed to claim the throne, however.

I can't recall any similar situations now from ASOIAF, where a widow married his former mistress. However, there was a situation that could've ended up like that, when Aegon IV was King. Lord Bracken talked of Aegon marrying his mistress, Barbra Bracken, as Queen Naerys was sick. If Naerys had died, rather than recovered, and Aegon had married Barbra Bracken, presumably Bittersteel would've been legitimized (of course, he ended up being legitimized later, but that's a separate issue)

That's not to say that a prior marriage is the only reason that would prevent a couple from marrying when they wanted to. There's also matters of permission needing to be granted. Let's say an heir to a seat wished to marry, but his Lord father forbid it. He could hypothetically conduct an affair anyway and then, upon his father's death, marry who he wanted as he wouldn't need to receive permission anymore.

Could the only interaction between Maester Aemon and Tyrion have foreshadowed what lies ahead for Tyrion?

"He is a giant come among us here at the end of the world?" (may not be exact wording)

Anyone?

This and the reactions of Ghost, Grey Wind, Summer and Shaggydog, and Jon's comparison of Tyrion to a gargoyle are designed by the author to make the reader wonder whether Tyrion is Bran's third shadow.

Can anyone tell me if Gregor Clegane fought in other tourneys than the tourney of the Hand?

I think this quote from Sandor implies Gregor was used to fight in tourneys :

No one could ever withstand Gregor. That boy today, his second joust, oh, that was a pretty bit of business. You saw that, did you? Fool boy, he had no business riding in this company. No money, no squire, no one to help him with that armor. That gorget wasn't fastened proper. You think Gregor didn't notice that? You think Ser Gregor's lance rode up by chance, do you? Pretty little talking girl, you believe that, you're empty-headed as a bird for true. Gregor's lance goes where Gregor wants it to go.

but I can't think of the mention of one tourney in particular.

Can anyone tell me if Gregor Clegane fought in other tourneys than the tourney of the Hand?

Well he seems to have fought in tourneys generally but couldn't find anything with more detail.

Unlike his brother, Ser Gregor did not live at court. He was a solitary man who seldom left his own lands, but for wars and tourneys. (AGOT-Eddard VII)

Thanks to the search tool the reference wasn't too hard to find :P

This and the reactions of Ghost, Grey Wind, Summer and Shaggydog, and Jon's comparison of Tyrion to a gargoyle are designed by the author to make the reader wonder whether Tyrion is Bran's third shadow.

I always thought that the 3 shadows represented Good, Evil, and Death. Not people in particular, even though the resemblance to certain characters is on point. I think it was done this way on purpose.

Ash/Face of Hound - Hounds are usually symbolic of hell, or the devil

Bright as the sun - Light is usually associated with God, or Good

Blood - Obviously symbolic of death.

Bran was envisioning the chaos that was to come.

I threw this question out in another thread and got no answer, so I thought I try here. When Ned and Robert are young wards to Jon Arryn, who is Jon Arryn's maester?

I don't believe this was ever mentioned. Pycelle describes Colemon (Jon Arryn's maester at the time of his death, and Robert Arryn's current maester) as young (though Pycelle is 84, so who knows what he still sees as "young" :) ), so perhaps Colemon wasn't the maester during Ned's youth.

I always thought that the 3 shadows represented Good, Evil, and Death. Not people in particular, even though the resemblance to certain characters is on point. I think it was done this way on purpose.

Ash/Face of Hound - Hounds are usually symbolic of hell, or the devil

Bright as the sun - Light is usually associated with God, or Good

Blood - Obviously symbolic of death.

Bran was envisioning the chaos that was to come.

You would appreciate this thread...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/110778-three-shadows-in-brans-vision/

I don't believe this was ever mentioned. Pycelle describes Colemon (Jon Arryn's maester at the time of his death, and Robert Arryn's current maester) as young (though Pycelle is 84, so who knows what he still sees as "young" :) ), so perhaps Colemon wasn't the maester during Ned's youth.

Thank you, RT. After a lot of searching, I've reached a similar conclusion, but I was hoping I missed something. I'm looking for Maester Walys's contemporaries at the other Great Houses. Kym in Riverrun, and Cressen in Storm's End I know, but beyond that? The Maester of Casterly Rock at the time? Highgarden?

Thank you, RT. After a lot of searching, I've reached a similar conclusion, but I was hoping I missed something. I'm looking for Maester Walys's contemporaries at the other Great Houses. Kym in Riverrun, and Cressen in Storm's End I know, but beyond that? The Maester of Casterly Rock at the time? Highgarden?

Maester Beldon served during Tytos' "reign".. So it is possible he still served as a maester during Tywins rule.. He would have been rather old, though, at the time of the Rebellion, as he was already serving by 239 AC.

Don´t know anything about a maester at Highgarden, though.

For Sunspear, Caleotte seems to have served during the rebellion. Don´t know how long before, though

In regards to the pink letter, is there any reason we should think Mance is capable of writing? Not the letter, writing in and of itself.

He probably can't write, but he could have had a maester write it I suppose.

Maester Beldon served during Tytos' "reign".. So it is possible he still served as a maester during Tywins rule.. He would have been rather old, though, at the time of the Rebellion, as he was already serving by 239 AC.

Don´t know anything about a maester at Highgarden, though.

For Sunspear, Caleotte seems to have served during the rebellion. Don´t know how long before, though

Once again, thanks, RT. I've got those. Doubt Beldon is still alive. Caleotte served since Doran's mother so he qualifies as a contemporary.

Could the only interaction between Maester Aemon and Tyrion have foreshadowed what lies ahead for Tyrion?

"He is a giant come among us here at the end of the world?" (may not be exact wording)

Anyone?

Yes... It is most definitely foreshadowing... Foreshadowing of events that have yet to pass...

I think I know what it foreshadows, but I am not yet ready to hit the forums with it...

Archived