[Book Spoilers] EP510 Discussion

Ran

So in my opinion (Regarding how this episode relates to the books)

I think that Stannis losing is a deviation from the books and he'll instead win in them, I think that's pretty clear considering in the season all signs pointed to him losing (Burning Shireen, nothing about the Mountain clans, nothing about the Mandlerly betrayal, etc.) while in the books its pretty clear it's all in his favor. So, that's leading up to some pretty large changes in the endgame in my honest opinion.

I do think however, that the Meereen stuff was Battle of Fire endgame. With Tyrion and Missandei (And Greyworm, I guess) ruling Meereen. But, that's not really a spoiler.

Moreso, I think Jon's fate will be different between the two. In the show, he's pretty obviously dead and will likely get resurrected by Melisandre, however I still don't buy that happening in the books. I think he's just in a comatose state, and will get healed by Free Folk.

But, God Brienne's plot seemed like such a waste of time. A lot of people hate her plot in aFfC (I loved it, but whatever) but I wouldn't believe you if you'd say that you'd want her being narmy and staring off into the distance for ten episodes, rather than Nimble Dick,

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuushed as heck... character 2 bam... character 46 bam... character 456 bam...

I won´t even talk about Stannis, they killed him last week, and Myrcella knew about Jaime, and loved that he was her father... yeaaaaah another major show dump on the baratheon bros, keep on counting...

Good news is, no more true baratheons, so they can't keep crapping on the house anymore

Edited by Laughing Storm Reborn

I hated the Arya scene. It was over the top and really made Arya into too much of a monster. Oh and conveniently Arya gets to keep on training seemingly while some other guy pays the ultimate price, although she did at least lose her eyesight? Was that because he put too much faith in her in that she was ready?

The only thing I didn't like about the whole Trant thing is they really overplayed the whole scumbag thing. We get it, he's a scumbag, we didn't need to the whole beating little girls fetish thing.

Enjoyed it considering the rest of the season. Thought the walk and the end was well handled though Cersei just slipping into the Red Keep was very anti climactic. I was so worried Jon was going to unscroll the Pink Letter too and it be confirmed it was Ramsey. Again a dissapointing battle for Stannis, but hey ho.
As usual Olly and Dorne were the worst bits

My guess she's there to witness the rebirth/resurrection of Jon Snow. I have always believed that she doesn't have the power of resurrection.

Davos is there,Mel too. Basically it's Jon/Davos/Mel instead of Stannis/Davos/Mel. I mean the whole scene was like:so who wants to stab this guy.Olly just kills it in the end. Another characters assassination...this time Thorne. What the hell?

The butthurt of team Stannis is something to behold. I only wish that E Ro or whatever his name was, wasn't banned and was still here. Would have to have mailed him a tranquilizer.

Good episode in terms of firing up Twitter at least.

Edited by SerHaHa

It's amusing reading the howls of outrage on here compared to Twitter.

I thought the Benjen hype was a nice swerve that would make pro wrestling proud.

Is the Twitter outrage about what happened on the show and not how the show did not do justice to the story lines of the books

I don't see why everyone is pissed about this episode. It was pretty solid and it hit all the crucial plotlines. Myrcella was killed to provoke war (debatable if she actually dies in the books but whatever, the provocation is all that matters), Jon stabbed, Cersei shamed, Robert Strong appeared, Dany cornered by Dothraki, etc..

There are some departures (no Wun Wun, Varys is Mereen, etc.) but nothing that changes the overall trajectory of the series. My beef would be with the fact that the rest of the episodes went so far away from the books, but this episode was necessary to bring them a little closer to alignment. Not a bad way to end the worst season so far though.

Cannot believe how weak this episode was, even with all the deaths. I guess there will be a drop of audience in season 6.

Yeah, the thousands of book purists will overwhelm the millions that watch worldwide.

I'm not sure which is worse. Dead Stannis or Jeynsa.

Dead Stannis. So, they've totally now proved that Mel is not only a bitch but an idiot and absolutely cannot be trusted, so why keep her? Why would anyone believe fuck all she has to say from here on out? I see you on the throne Stan?

So, they had him burn his daughter. Then half is army left, and apparently took all the horses, Selyse killed herself, Mel deserted him, they had to walk to Winterfell, then they got massacred, then Brienne killed him.

You know D&D I'm not a Dany fan but I wouldn't completely rewrite her story to make her evil then kill her before she does in the books because that is mean to George and to Dany's fans

Kills his brother, tries to kill his nephew, is burning people to death, yeah he was such a gooood guy. Also based off the last thing we read in the books, he's likely dead.