[Book Spoilers] EP510 Discussion

Ran

As non-book reader i am so glad about this episode , i rated it 9/10 (10 was for ep 8)

The tears from the book readers , the anger , such a great feeling.

Now finaly after 5 years i wont read their high horse spoilers on facebook and forums and stuff how they know everything .....

Their dreams and hopes burned like little princess..... Long live the show !

I can understand that you as a show watcher only don't care about the books. I am starting to see the books & the show as separate stories. That way is the best I guess.

Welp, i didn't like this episode very much

-Really beat us over the head with the "Tyrion in Meereen is gonna be like Tyrion in KL" thing

-Probably waited too long with sending Sam away, there was no reason to wait till literally the last scene before Jon gets killed

-Stannis got screwed over and over and over again

-Stannis lets himself by killed in the same of Renly, the one true king

-Ramsay's cruelty once again translates to invincibility in D & D's eyes

-Additionally, Boltons being the bad guys means they suddenly have many thousands of horses.

-Sansa can't seem to find her way around Winterfell

-Depending on the circumstances Myranda's motivations change completely, just to make her the cruel obstactle that thus, automatically holds all the power

-Only people in the North that matter in Sansa's escape are a Stormlander, a Westerlander and an Ironborn

-Daenerys' time among the Dothraki seems like it will be one of captivity to be rescued from

-Meryn Trant has to be as evil as physically possible

-every character in the City of Dorne was a waste this season, save maybe Jaime

-Alliser has no more reason to kill Jon now then he did when he decided to let Jon and hundreds of wildlings through the Wall

Yep

"I think in the final moment though it's not relief, because she was expecting a monster and what she finds is Stannis, who has certain monstrous qualities.. I mean he's a man who's willing to sacrifice his own daughter.. but he also certainly has very human qualities, and one of them is bravery. He's not gonna go out whimpering. He's telling Brienne "Do your job", like "I get it, you've got every right to do what you're about to do" he probably has a number of regrets but he's not going to share them with this stranger and "Don't expect me to beg for mercy or to open up my soul to you or anything because that's not gonna happen. It's over. I get it. Get on with it."

- Benioff

Edited by Kerouac's Teeth

"I think in the final moment though it's not relief, because she was expecting a monster and what she finds is Stannis, who has certain monstrous qualities.. I mean he's a man that's willing to sacrifice his daughter.. but he also has certain very human qualities, and one of them is bravery. He's not gonna go out whimpering. He's telling Brienne "Do your job", like "I get it, you've got every right to do what you're about to do" he probably has a number of regrets but he's not going share them with this stranger and "Don't expect me to beg for mercy or to open up my soul to you or anything because that's not gonna happen. It's over. I get it. Get on with it."

- Benioff

Funny, all I got was a Clint Eastwood, 'Go ahead....make my day' type of ripoff (just like the Luke Skywalker face-in-Vader's-helmet ripoff w/Arya)

I HATED Stannis after episode 9 and wanted him to die. But this episode I felt so sorry for him. My favorite story arc of the season. Great acting and writing. Well done D&D&D.

Dorne, though..

He is a great actor, and I wish they gave him more than six seconds to react to the sight of his wife hanging from a tree

i was so upset when i read this but ive decided i dont believe it... .there is just too much that doesnt make sense. And he didnt say he wont be in season 7! Idk but have to hold out hope i think...why make such a big deal through the entire show about his parentage etc and then just cut us off ?? Will be stupid if he is truly dead

you just don't kill your main protaganist 3/4 of the way through your story,

This isn't Disney.

At the start of the series, many would have considered Ned to be the main protagonist and would have rejected the idea of him dying. The story can evolve when a seemingly indispensable character is killed off.

shahid-pk 1441--you have gotten it. The writers think they are attaining the level of Shakespeare and Greek tragedy by killing everyone off, that they are reaching some sort of level of profundity. But Shakespeare and Greek tragedy have a sense of catharsis and of suffering that is morally meaningful, and says something about our world which is ultimately affirming. This is just a horror movie, with all the triviality of such. Life is hard, but it is not without heroism, and the good guys do not always lose. That is what the great writers and storytellers of the past, in their different ways and modes and cultural contexts, have always seen.

It is lamentable because i truly believe the five books as ASIOAF as we have them ARE classics. If the books go down this road--and I am not just talking about the fates of Stannis or Jon Snow or Myrcella, although these were all sensationalized and trivialized from what the books were indicating (and I think, in shock at the botching of Stannis and the North, we have not laid enough stress on how awful and boring the TV Dorne plot is).

I also blame the TV writers not just for having the show outstrip the books--that was always going to happen--but to have it occur in season 5 and not 6 or 7. There was a lot of good, tragic stuff in book 5--Quentyn's death, Kevan's death, etc.

And I think the Iron Islands should have been put in, just so we can see more of Asha/Yara who sis a strong and very interesting female character and could have presented a counterpoint to the, again, meaningless deaths of Shireen and Myrcella and the brutalizatuion of Sansa. That this was not put it is why Balon is still King. And Balon being the last standing of the five kings is just the sort of video-game trivialization that this series did of a book series that was not finished and whose incredibly high quality in the first five books may now forever be despoiled.

i was so upset when i read this but ive decided i dont believe it... .there is just too much that doesnt make sense. And he didnt say he wont be in season 7! Idk but have to hold out hope i think...why make such a big deal through the entire show about his parentage etc and then just cut us off ?? Will be stupid if he is truly dead

Maybe Arya makes a shiny mask of Jon and she becomes King

shahid-pk 1441--you have gotten it. The writers think they are attaining the level of Shakespeare and Greek tragedy by killing everyone off, that they are reaching some sort of level of profundity. But Shakespeare and Greek tragedy have a sense of catharsis and of suffering that is morally meaningful, and says something about our world which is ultimately affirming. This is just a horror movie, with all the triviality of such. Life is hard, but it is not without heroism, and the good guys do not always lose. That is what the great writers and storytellers of the past, in their different ways and modes and cultural contexts, have always seen.

It is lamentable because i truly believe the five books as ASIOAF as we have them ARE classics. If the books go down this road--and I am not just talking about the fates of Stannis or Jon Snow or Myrcella, although these were all sensationalized and trivialized from what the books were indicating (and I think, in shock at the botching of Stannis and the North, we have not laid enough stress on how awful and boring the TV Dorne plot is).

I also blame the TV writers not just for having the show outstrip the books--that was always going to happen--but to have it occur in season 5 and not 6 or 7. There was a lot of good, tragic stuff in book 5--Quentyn's death, Kevan's death, etc.

And I think the Iron Islands should have been put in, just so we can see more of Asha/Yara who sis a strong and very interesting female character and could have presented a counterpoint to the, again, meaningless deaths of Shireen and Myrcella and the brutalizatuion of Sansa. That this was not put it is why Balon is still King. And Balon being the last standing of the five kings is just the sort of video-game trivialization that this series did of a book series that was not finished and whose incredibly high quality in the first five books may now forever be despoiled.

I have had time to "sleep" on it and if I could I would give the show a rating of 0 simply because of how D & D royally screwed up theFTW scene. It just didn't make sense.

At least in th books we knew they were short on food supplies because of having to feed Stannis' men and the Wildlings. This was before Jon even decided to go to Hardhome or Stannis left to get support from the mountain clans. They weren't sure they would survive. It made FTW seem more plausible because Jon was leaving them to even get more Wildlings on a possibly doomed mission to Hardhome . More mouths to feed and shelter if he succeeded. Next he got the threatening letter from Ramsay which made sense to many in the NW that he was betraying his vows and REALLY getting involved in the politics of the realm. The final straw that broke the camel's back was Wun Wun attacking and ripping apart Ser Patrek.

The way D & D portrayed him as a traitor just didn't work, In fact....Jon proved by going to Hardhome what a threat the White Walkers were to the realm and that both Wildlings and the Night Watch....well hell....EVERYBODY else in Westeros should be forgetting their political struggles and power grabbing and work together for the survival of them all. The way these writers did it made the Night Watch a bunch of dim witted Idiots whose comprehensive brains had an inability to comprehend this even after they had seen wights and White Walkers before. Plus don't they realize Tormund and the Wildlings will probably KILL THEM for doing that to Jon? So utterly STUPID. This scene alone made the finale one big flop!