[Book Spoilers] EP510 Discussion

Ran

Davos might as payback for Shireen.

Davos doesn't know how Shireen died, and unless one or more of the sellswords who fled tells him, he may never know. I sincerely doubt Melisandre is going to explain how it all went down.

A lot of plot (most?) in ASOIAF is completely dependent upon characters being uninformed and/or misinformed.

Not a plot hole. They wanted to start a war. Ellaria was willing to go against Doran to do it. Her actual best case scenario is for them to retaliate with Trystane because that would force Doran's hand.

This is kind of how I'm reading it too, Ellaria wants war, Doran does not. My theory is that Ellaria and Tyene orchestrated this without Doran's knowledge knowing that Trystane, the only heir, would become a captive in KL thereby forcing Doran's hand.

That's the best I've got

i now think it is highly possible The Others may win and annihilate everyone else. We have a bunch of flawed characters who are overly ambitious and power driven. The Night Watch proved last night that their pride and long time hatred of the Wildlings have blinded them to the greater threat to the planet.

Isn't this sorta GRRM's point? Endless war and power hungry leaders/politicians out for their own glory rather than seeing the bigger picture and how they are ultimately bringing about the demise of their own planet?

This is kind of how I'm reading it too, Ellaria wants war, Doran does not. My theory is that Ellaria and Tyene orchestrated this without Doran's knowledge knowing that Trystane, the only heir, would become a captive in KL thereby forcing Doran's hand.

That's the best I've got

Doran will probably hand Ellaria and all his nieces to Cersei or whoever rules at KL in exchange for the return of Trystane.

Edited by Ser Lepus

Perhaps you misunderstand my point, which was that Ser Meryn was already a pedophile, and he beat Sansa a bunch of times - we have plenty of reason to want Arya to kill him. Adding in the scenes with him hitting little girls was completely unnecessary, only done to up the shock value. That is par for the course, as i said, because they have made a habit of doing this.

See this is one of the spots where the hate gets weird.

Nobody wanted to see Arya in a remotely sexual situation. Not the writer, not the producers and (hopefully) no one on this board.

So what do the oft hated D&D do? They create a situation that avoids putting Arya in a sexual situation, but still finds a believable way to get her in the room. So if they put characters in sexual situations that people don't like they are terrible hacks and if they deliberately avoid putting a beloved character in a sexual situation then they are terrible hacks.

I have never seen so many illogical irrational haters in one place at one time.

A few other little things.

Varys showing up was sudden but a man with a vast network of spies across two continents could probably find someone to sneak him in the back door.

Oberyn established last year that bastards are considered family in Dorne which is different than the rest of the realm. Pay attention Joncon you troll.

I agree with the person who said it's not a documentary. We don't need to see exactly how TyrJorio got out of the pit.

The things I think were kinda wacky... The odds of Brienne finding Stannis in that battle are pretty thin but it did serve the story and trying to explain it would be a waste of time.

I understand that the Dragon's horse bones and the thousands of horse prints will show that something happened there...but to me the most far fetched thing is that someone is going to find that tiny ring in that giant field. And yet, they are avoiding plot holes by setting this up for next season. It's almost like these guys are professional story tellers who know what they are doing. If only this show was an international phenomenon we could judge whether or not they are competent in their craft... oh.... wait...

I know this probably isn't a popular idea, but I don't think Myrcella is dead. When the sand snake grabs Bronns hand I think she gives him a vile of the antidote. And is a lewd comment and a bite on the ear really enough to get Bronn frazzled. Or was the look of confusion because she slipped him the antidote? If not, I know its nitpicking, but it shows a lack of understanding of his character no matter how small of a moment. Won't really know till next season, but I'm probably reaching here.

I posted the same either upthread, or in another thread, I forget. I feel sure that we were shown the scene in jail with Bronn and Tyene specifically to illustrate that the poison used was not instant (like Joffrey's death took seconds), because Tyene and Bronn had time to talk before she gave him the antidote, and it had already been some time since he was cut with the poisoned blade. So as long as someone (Bronn, Trystane, or both) on the boat has a vial of the antidote, Myrcella will survive when Jaime calls for help (and he will shout out, I was surprised they didn't show him calling out before fading, which is what normally would be done... but they wanted people to actually believe she's dead I guess).

I'm of the mind that Tyene gave Bronn the antidote though, because she knew her mother was about to go against Doran and poison Myrcella, and she doesn't want her mother to die for such a trivial version of revenge.

Edited by Xie

Wow. I congratulate you on the fact you know exactly what every other reader wants or wants not to see.

Still you haven't provide an answer. Why is better?

That's a very silly argument. I'm sorry but it is. With that logic, then why don't they simply make Jon walk to KL and say "I'm Rhaegar's son!" and sit him on the Throne. I mean, it's going to happen at the end of the books, probably. Why waste time with everything that is happening around if the end is all that matters?

You still don't explain why the things you claim to be better are better. How are better? Becuase they are different? because they appeal more to you?

Because Sansa is not yet doing nothing. She is GOING to start doing things. Alayne's recent chapter is proving that. So, how THIS PLOT is better than a plot that hasn't yet happening? I mean, can you read minds? Has GRRM given you his manuscript? Because you, so far, claim THIS plot is better than the one he's planning for Sansa.

This is getting boring. All your answers are "this is better becuase I liked them more than the books" yadayada blah blah.

Boring for you. I haven't yet met one single person who says Jon Connington is boring. I mean, what has Jon done that bored you? Take his own castle with 100 men? Invading the Stormlands? Take Storm's End?

Congrats to you on knowing Stannis already died there. Because, yeah, he's dying in the battle and then he's burning Shireen. LOL.

It served one purpose. To provoke action scenes that appeal the watcher. That's it.

ANd, so what if people watch it? Gangnam Style is one of the most seen videos in Youtube and people like it. I like it. Does that mean is somehow good high music quality there?

Yes, I do need treatment. I do receive it. I don't find funny that you think my mental problems have something to do with me not liking the show. Show some fucking respect.

Also, Justin Beiber is also a phenomenon. It's he somehow the greatest artist ever born?

All of your answers ar childish: "it's better because I like it!", "it's better because it's already happening!". Considering you're analysing me, I think you like the show better because it saves you from making the effort to read and understand. I mean, I'm sure you simply skip page after page waiting for thing to happen, and by things, I mean ACTION SCENES!!!. Because having pages of character development is like "BOOORIIING!!!" for you. That's what mostly of us could easily get from all of your jabber and blind defence of a show that only shows pretty pictures with zero context and content.

This explains everything. And it's a pathetic attempt to gain pity when the commentator was being figurative, not literal. Take your pity party somewhere else.

:bawl: :crying: :bawl:

Seems my 'burn the witch' resurrection might have a problem. :idea:

Mel predicts she will meet Arya again when she comes to take Gendry. So the idea that the watch tie Mel to Jon's pyre and this causes his resurrection might be off.

Unless...

Blind Arya wargs into ghost, 'sees' Jon dead and attacks the evil Mel. :ninja:

i agree, and i wasn't clear:

of course for us book readers who read mel's chapter and visions that all lead obviously to jon being stannis' replacement. but from a show only point of view the reasons for her to leave are unknown, they could be guessed, but they are not for the viewers to know, or else d&d would have revealed it in a clear way since we all know that they can't do subtlety.

and if the reason for her to leave stannis was known it only strengthen my case that she'll revive jon in the show as well as the books.

Even if we only consider show material.

She causes Shireen to Burn.

She realizes Stannis is not going to win the battle.

She leaves to save herself.

The question is why go to the wall.

The only two reasons i can see are Davos or Jon.

Mel did have a connection with Jon. She wanted to make shadow babies with him in the show as well so hey maybe she realized Stannis is not AA, so go back to Jon.

This explains everything. And it's a pathetic attempt to gain pity when the commentator was being figurative, not literal. Take your pity party somewhere else.

Thank you for recognizing that. JCRB knows full well that I didn't know, have reason to know, or actually believe s/he needed treatment and was just using an idiom that means "calm down". And I got a Warning point.

Wonder if the trolls who call D&D pedos and Pervs get warning points. They are actually serious.

On Varys' ability to get in the pyramid. My friend Ira Winkler is ex-NSA and he does physical penetration testing. He can get into pretty much anywhere without much hassle. When they opened up a new airport terminal here, he did pen testing and got in on opening day. He has also penetrated numerous sites that are purportedly top secret. That is his job.

I am not anywhere near as good but I can pass fairly easily despite having a foreign accent. If I want to get in a building I buy a pack of cigarettes and hang outside the fire door.

:bawl: :crying: :bawl:

Seems my 'burn the witch' resurrection might have a problem. :idea:

Mel predicts she will meet Arya again when she comes to take Gendry. So the idea that the watch tie Mel to Jon's pyre and this causes his resurrection might be off.

Unless...

Blind Arya wargs into ghost, 'sees' Jon dead and attacks the evil Mel. :ninja:

Well at least we can hope Arya has the pleasure of offing the charlatan witch who took down the last rightful king of the realm.

If Ellaria's big plan to start a war was THIS, then she's even dumber than I thought.

People who should be smarter acting foolishly and impulsively seems to characterize most of this story, if not the whole history of Westeros. That said, this seems to me not so stupid in an Archduke Ferdinand sort of way. Ellaria has no political power, as the show demonstrates quite dramatically, so this kind of unilateral terrorist act is pretty much the only way she can start a war.

See this is one of the spots where the hate gets weird.

Nobody wanted to see Arya in a remotely sexual situation. Not the writer, not the producers and (hopefully) no one on this board.

So what do the oft hated D&D do? They create a situation that avoids putting Arya in a sexual situation, but still finds a believable way to get her in the room. So if they put characters in sexual situations that people don't like they are terrible hacks and if they deliberately avoid putting a beloved character in a sexual situation then they are terrible hacks.

I have never seen so many illogical irrational haters in one place at one time.

A few other little things.

Varys showing up was sudden but a man with a vast network of spies across two continents could probably find someone to sneak him in the back door.

Oberyn established last year that bastards are considered family in Dorne which is different than the rest of the realm. Pay attention Joncon you troll.

I agree with the person who said it's not a documentary. We don't need to see exactly how TyrJorio got out of the pit.

The things I think were kinda wacky... The odds of Brienne finding Stannis in that battle are pretty thin but it did serve the story and trying to explain it would be a waste of time.

I understand that the Dragon's horse bones and the thousands of horse prints will show that something happened there...but to me the most far fetched thing is that someone is going to find that tiny ring in that giant field. And yet, they are avoiding plot holes by setting this up for next season. It's almost like these guys are professional story tellers who know what they are doing. If only this show was an international phenomenon we could judge whether or not they are competent in their craft... oh.... wait...

Exactly. They got Arya into the room by adding the sadism. I'm not a fan of sadism in general, but I prefer that to seeing Arya fake a seduction or in any sexual situation.

I LOVED the moment Varys showed up. The fact that he popped up out of nowhere made it perfect.

People refuse to give D&D any kind of credit. They are making a really great show. It's not perfect but nothing is.