[Book Spoilers] EP510 Discussion

Ran

Another failure of imagination on your part.

Ned never says Jon is his son, he always says 'of my blood'. As with the bloody bed, sometime the literal meaning is the significant one.

The reason I predicted that another actor would play Jon before the episode aired and the EW piece came out is that if R+E=J then he should look Targarean. His Stark appearance is due to blood magic that has something to do with the death of Lyanna and is the cause of the bloody bed and the 'of my blood' phrase of speech.

Jon Connington is added to the story for no other reason than to muddy the waters.

I believe that the book scheme is actually a switch of appearances similar to a glamor and fake Aegon is the other person. So his appearance will suddenly change. But Kit Harrington is SOL because there is no fake Aegon in the show.

WTF are you talking about?! your right that ned never called jon his son and only of his blood but that's about it. But just because R+E=J is true, and let's pretend that it is for a second even though it isn't, doesn't necessarily mean that he has to look like a targaryean, It all depends on the genes remember there were plenty of targaryean bastards, namely the blackfyres that didn't always have trademark standard silver hair and purple eyes but instead had black hair and Aegon V's eldest son duncan actually had black hair and he was trueborn so looks may play a part but they're not the end all be all of indicating targ lineage. Also what kind of convoluted theory have you created to suggest that Jon's looks have been altered by blood magic using lyanna's blood. Who performed said blood ritual, and why was this false aegon chosen to be a part of it aswell because if your theory is true than this aegon is just some random kid who was chosen, than how did jon con manage to get a hold of him if he was a random boy who was supposedly chosen at random and what made jon con beleive he was aegon, I believe jon con states that he was given the child to bring across the narrow sea, so your saying that jon con was given the child that, just so happened, to be the 2nd part this blood magic ritual that changed jon's appearence using lyanna's blood and furthermore how the hell did they get lyanna's blood in the first place and how did they manage to hide the child and not hide the rest of elia and rhaegar's and how did he get into Ned's hands and let's say they coerced him into thinking it was lyanna's son why would he believe them at all when he saw his sister die at the tower of joy without a child your theory just has too many holes and is frankly batshit crazy.

She admitted to sex while she was married to the King, which she was arrested for (among other things). That is treason. If they had no power to try her for that, why was she allowed to be charged with it in the first place?

Eta: I'd also have liked them to make some mention of the Tyrells. Because right now Cersei is suspected of regicide while chilling in the red keep and Marge is eating rats for lying. Hmmmmm

The real answer is that the show hasn't established the laws of Westeros and the jurisdictions between the faith and king. It's perfectly reasonable to assume treason to the crown is a more political crime that the king would have to try you with it and Tommen isn't going to do that. Murder, adultery, incest are more in line with how a contemporary audience would view religious priorities.

Now I understand about what Aemon was talking. .. "Kill the boy" Olly ;)

Me too!!! It sounded like Aemon was referring to Jon Snow to "grow up" and stop being a little boy and it's time to be a man now...whether that's what he meant or not, it's still interesting how it came full circle and makes you wish that Jon had actually killed the boy, Olly!

One criticism I keep seeing in this forum is that there was not enough build up / explanation for the assassination attempt on Jon Snow. Jon wanting to team up with the only enemy the NW has known (in living memory) is more than enough reason. There's a faction of the NW that hates his guts no matter what he does. They hate that he has become the LC and they really do see him as a traitor. And Hardhome does not change that for this hardcore faction. They are not going to take Jon's word for it that the wildlings should be the least of their worries.

Here's a segment of a review from Screen Rant that addresses this point:

Some systems, like the Night’s Watch and the Faceless Men, operate in a way that is easy to see and understand. His brothers murdered Jon because his idealism led him to believe he could broker peace between two groups of people separated by a wall of ice and a way of thinking for centuries. It was the kind of noble effort that gets one marked as having a “good heart” as well as being a traitor. But the Night’s Watch doesn’t reward its members for noble efforts that radically change a familiar dynamic; it murders them in the night for daring to upset the system by which the group is able to understand the world and its place in it.

Edited by Night'sQueen

Newbie poster here, (non book reader, but long time viewer of the show).

I was pretty gripped by the finale, there was almost too much going on.

Loved Stephen Dillane in this episode, such a tragic character come the end.

I don't get the criticism of Sansa & Theon jumping off a wall down into snow/no snow. The way I perceived it, they're perfectly willing to die that way rather than stay and get flayed. I was really rooting for Sansa these last few episodes, which is a first.

Dorne was pretty lame all season, but at least it ended with a slight sting in the tail.

Enjoyed Arya's revenge and the slowly placed and ominous House of B & W plot. And ended completely unexpectedly.

Cersei's penance was fantastic.

Dany meeting the Dothraki was ok. I initially assumed she took off the ring to disguise her betrothal to the Mereen guy, but that's probably not the case.

I don't think Jon is dead, but that's a hunch based on Melisandre's return.

I'm very pleased we didn't get a faithful adaptation of the last two books. I don't think D&D were always very successful, but they were certainly more successful than Martin in untangling the mess and trying to get the narrative back on track. They went the extra mile, in my view, by doing it in such a way that Martin has yet another opportunity to finish his work and get out ahead of the show again.

Yes, this.

And judging by the casting calls for what seem like the extended Greyjoy family, they will be doing him another favour if it does indeed stretch to 8 seasons as it seems like they haven't cut the Euron plot, just shifted the timeline a bit so they can give it more focus.

She admitted to sex while she was married to the King, which she was arrested for (among other things). That is treason. If they had no power to try her for that, why was she allowed to be charged with it in the first place?

Eta: I'd also have liked them to make some mention of the Tyrells. Because right now Cersei is suspected of regicide while chilling in the red keep and Marge is eating rats for lying. Hmmmmm

It would have taken literally one minute of a mention while Cersei is with the High Sparrow, but they just left that dangling for no reason. It's ridiculous.

And yes, she admitted to sex while she was married to the king, even though they didn't show her relationship with Lancel until after Robert was dead (?). I don't get it :dunno:

I'm intrigued as to where the show is heading for next season. There are certainly a lot of cliffhangers, and they followed through with a few main stories from the book, sort of.

I'm guessing Cleveland....seems to fit the mood the show has created

Don't know where to post this, but why does the Rant and Rave threads keep getting closed? Is it too popular and that doesn't look good?

I think it's either length, people pointlessly arguing about varying opinions (of course where there's no right or wrong), or getting off-topic

Don't know where to post this, but why does the Rant and Rave threads keep getting closed? Is it too popular and that doesn't look good?

Usually it's due to going off topic or trolls. In this case, I think it was probably going too off topic (the Stannis/Renly book debate happened for far too long, for example).

I just hate that the last post is my analogy about cheese to refer to Mel's horse situation :lol:

Usually it's due to going off topic or trolls. In this case, I think it was probably going too off topic (the Stannis/Renly book debate happened for far too long, for example).

I just hate that the last post is my analogy about cheese to refer to Mel's horse situation :lol:

Haha the processed post? That's not really a post at all.....

The real answer is that the show hasn't established the laws of Westeros and the jurisdictions between the faith and king. It's perfectly reasonable to assume treason to the crown is a more political crime that the king would have to try you with it and Tommen isn't going to do that. Murder, adultery, incest are more in line with how a contemporary audience would view religious priorities.

The show has established that the Faith can do whatever they want though, the King be damned.

Bad joke - because you said processed cheese isn't really cheese or something like that.....

Yup, I edited my post shortly after posting it :) It was funny! I'm just dense.

To keep it on topic though: the only scene I liked was the walk of shame. Lena did very well. I just think it went on a little too long and they prioritized full frontal nudity too much to where the bobble head effect was really noticeable.

Okay, thanks for the clarification - it's just annoying to see them routinely closed, because they are the best threads on the forum, where we can finally let loose about all the utter idiocy that goes down in the show. Feels like a bad dream by now. Can somebody pinch me and tell me the last three seasons didn't happen? :(

The show has established that the Faith can do whatever they want though, the King be damned.

The books pretty much established that too. Of course the Faith are bound by their own internal rules, however the High Sparrow chooses to interpret them. But beyond that, the only thing stopping the Faith from doing whatever they want was Maegor's edict and Jaeharys's treaty, which Cersei appears to have rescinded. If the King wants to try to enforce his own rules on them, and has the power to do so, of course he can (as Maegor did), but Tommen doesn't seem to be in that position--Mace Tyrell, maybe, but not the King.

Back to TV, they pretty much told us the same thing, in a simpler and more direct way, with Tommen realizing that the only way he could directly free Margaery is by having his soldiers attack, which he wasn't willing to do.

Okay, thanks for the clarification - it's just annoying to see them routinely closed, because they are the best threads on the forum, where we can finally let loose about all the utter idiocy that goes down in the show. Feels like a bad dream by now. Can somebody pinch me and tell me the last three seasons didn't happen? :(

I know, I agree :(

They are very cathartic for me and I get seriously sad when they shut down. They usually only last for a day or two :(

I really wish they would just leave us to our own devices in there unless it gets really crazy and full of trolls, because I think we members do a good job of policing it. We're quick to shut down off topic discussions (or at least, it goes right back on topic soon enough) and trolls. Even if we're not directly talking about the episode, we are enjoying the company of other like-minded individuals while discussing the show as a whole and the show in regards to the books in a respectful manner.

There's literally no other place on the internet or in real life where I can do that.

And I wish the last three seasons (especially this episode) didn't happen either!

Edited by R4W13Y