[Book Spoilers] EP510 Discussion

Ran

If you ever wanted any evidence D&D hate Stannis, there it is

Seriously, what up with their Ramsay love?

D&D love Ramsay because they are Ramsay, they faceless man'd his face!!!! Edited by Neds Secret

OK, thanks for the reminders that Mel is at Castle Black at the end of book 5. I have really got to go back and read again from the beginning, especially if I'm going to be ready for the next one. Maybe I'm reading too much into her desertion at that moment in the show, but she's been a very influential character at least for Stannis.

I so like that Brienne and Arya both got some revenge tonight.

Jon Targaryen aka Azor Ahai ( or at least an aspect of ) is coming back. Anyone who can't see that at this point is, and I'm sorry here, a complete and utter moron.

As to how he'll come back, and if it'll be in season six or later, is pretty much up in the air at this point. Could be that the books and the show will differ on this point as well.

But he's still coming back.

I can only see one way that Kit is out of the show and that is if the reborn Jon looks completely different and they have a different actor for AAR.

That would point to R+E=J and some sort of magic being used to change his appearance.

I am a little surprised at how terminal the FTW scene was because when Tyrion was in danger we had him almost die and then being saved. That didn't happen this time round, we got a cliffhanger. I thought they might have stopped short of stabby-stabby or showing whatever magical recovery happened. Instead it is an apparently dead cliffhanger.

As episodes go, pretty brutal, count the deaths:

1. Myranda
  2. Sylese
  3. Stannis
  4. Jon
  5. Myrcella
  6. Trant
  7. Jaq'ar (possibly an illusion)

In addition we have a bunch of cliffhangers

1. Danny meets dothraki without Drogon who is wounded
  2. Theon and Sansa
  3. Jon
  4. Arya blind

Most of the deaths are very much deserved but still pretty brutal. I am pretty sure it goes down the same way in the books. Stannis will have a setback, realize his position is hopeless, burn Shireen in one last throw of the dice and have everything turn to shit. Serves the bastard right.

Wow, there are so many bizarre narrative choices in this episode and this season, but let me just mention that ... basically Doran had no plan beyond exactly what he said, and there's no vengeance, justice, fire or blood? And it was necessary to include Dorne in this season for what reason exactly? So Bronn and his sidekick would have a place to go? I mean, seriously, for all those scenes did, Myrcella could have died of a snakebite or TB or whathaveyou offscreen without any of the necessity of filming in the Alcazar or casting Sand Snakes and Doran. There wasn't any need to send Jaime there (other than to show - yet again - what a total flop he is at everything he turns his hand to, particularly protecting his children from harm. His track record with dead kids rivals Mel's with leeches - two out of three are sure to be goners!)

I also want to come back to how they cast Lollys Stokeworth and CGI'd a castle for ONE SCENE so Bronn could say "Jaime Fucking Lannister ..." because that's a pretty weird use of their budget. We couldn't cast a single Northern lord for any reason, but ... that had to happen????

Edited by LadySoftheart

OK, thanks for the reminders that Mel is at Castle Black at the end of book 5. I have really got to go back and read again from the beginning, especially if I'm going to be ready for the next one. Maybe I'm reading too much into her desertion at that moment in the show, but she's been a very influential character at least for Stannis.

I so like that Brienne and Arya both got some revenge tonight.

Wow, there are so many bizarre narrative choices in this episode and this season, but let me just mention that ... basically Doran had no plan beyond exactly what he said, and there's no vengeance, justice, fire or blood? And it was necessary to include Dorne in this season for what reason exactly? So Bronn and his sidekick would have a place to go? I mean, seriously, for all those scenes did, Myrcella could have died of a snakebite or TB or whathaveyou offscreen without any of the necessity of filming in the Alcazar or casting Sand Snakes and Arianne.

I also want to come back to how they cast Lollys Stokeworth and CGI'd a castle for ONE SCENE so Bronn could say "Jaime Fucking Lannister ..." because that's a pretty weird use of their budget. We couldn't cast a single Northern lord for any reason, but ... that had to happen????

And, um, we never got that second part to the Maggy flashback did we? So they also cast Melara for no reason at all since she never ended up in the well. So, Melara, check. Young Cersei. Check. Lollys. Check.

Not a northern lord in sight. Alrighty then.

What Littlefinger was counting on in the shows did not happen: the armies of Stannis and the Boltons did not wear each other out. Stannis was utterly demolished. Baelish's only hope here is if Sansa's escape is good and she can rally the North against her cruel treatment by the Boltons. Before Winter comes, of course.

We saw them walking to Winterfell didn't we? Nobody riding? So, the conclusion would be that they didn't have any horses, except the one Mel rode away on.

They had to eat breakfast before the siege, geez!

Okay I will try this one more time.

D&D said that George told them that Stannis burns Shireen in the books, and that's why the used it in the show. However, if the pink letter is 'true' in the books, and Stannis is already dead in the books , then he can't burn Shireen in the books, like they said he did. If you don't get it now, then just forget about it. LOL.

I understand completely. I was actually partly agreeing with you.

"If the pink letter is true." We know (or can be fairly certain) the pink letter is at least a partial fabrication. We suspect that the pink letter is a complete fabrication and possibly not authored by who it claims to be. We can also be fairly certain that Stannis is still alive because of TWOW chapter that was released, unless that chapter takes place before the events at the end of ADWD.

Did D&D say "Stannis burns Shireen" or "Shireen gets burned" in the books? That's not completely clear.