[Poll] How would you rate episode 510?

Ran

How would you rate episode 510?  

1,157 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it an 8 but I think I will change it back to a 7.

If it ended the way it should have...winter comes to King's Landing and Varys kills Pycelle and Kevan, I would have given it a 9 despite the Dorne crap. But Varys pops up in Mereen so I knew right away the one scene I was hoping for would be null and void. Did not like the final Mereen solution of Jorah and Dario leaving while the other three are in charge of ruling the city.

Best part was Cersie's walk of shame. Lena better win an Emmy for her acting this season. Wish she didn't use a body double but what can you do? The scene worked brilliantly and even made me feel bad for our rotten queen. Stupid part was Robert Strong. Loved seeing him but it's a bit silly that you can obviously tell he is some kind of monster behind the helm. I think people in King's Landing would not be thrilled to notice that. Again, sloppy writing that assumes watchers of the show would be too stupid to figure anything out.

Arya's scenes were also awesome. One major stupid thing was at the end. Why would someone poison themselves and not kill her instead? Also, why did she go blind? Was she poisoned? I didn't see her drink or do anything. Was it a spell? Pretty sloppy writing there.

Jon Snow's betrayal was fine. Would have been better if it was a result of something more dramatic than "Hey, who's that over there? STAB!" A fight breaking out between the Wildlings and the watch with him trying to break it up would have been better. Again, sloppy and lazy writing. Where the F is Ghost? To not even show him is upsetting. And I guess the Wall is approximately 50 feel from Winterfell. LOL. That's been a major issue with the show since Season 1. Westeros on HBO is the size of Rhode Island.

Dany's scenes were good. Nothing wrong there. Why did she drop her ring? To help anyone looking for her? Like Merry and Pippin did in LOTR?

Dorne...so lame. The point of this season down there was to kill Myrcella and give Jaime and Bronn some screen time? And since they barely set sail, wouldn't they just turn the boat around and say "Hey, Doran, what gives?" Hell, they could have shouted it from the boat they were so close. And what of Tristane? He's going to be safe now? I guess that's what the Sand Snakes wanted.

Stannis' death and quest's resolution was okay I guess. Hope is does not ruin anything from the book since he is alive and well in them with Theon and Asha.

Theon saving Sansa was good. Probable should have CGI'd a bit more snow than the dusting they jumped 900 feet off a wall into. LOL.

So I will change my vote to a 7.

Easily the weakest and worst season of the show. I give the entire season a 5, saved only by the last 4 episodes.

Edited by A Redeemed Hound

I gave it a 10.

Here's why: It was not as amazingly exciting as Hardhome, but FFS not every episode needs to be an exciting battle or have good guys win to be good. The job of the finale is to wrap up the season and lead into the next and this episode did that, and did it well.

Brienne's arc this season was all about her vow to protect Sansa and her desire to kill Stannis. It was inevitable that those two things would come into conflict. They did. Just as Sansa was about to light her candle Brienne got some blood lust and took off. She missed her chance to be the hero, in a story that constantly reminds us that the fictional notion of heroes is BS.

On that note on to Stannis. The man whose good does not erase his bad, nor the bad the good. He may not be dead but will be presumed to be dead. I love it that I don't have the slightest clue. Brienne may have killed him, or he may have fought back and killed her, as he just did against the Bolton soldiers, or ome of them may have crept up behind her and killed her and taken Stannis to Ramsay. There was definitely some sword that fell, we just don't know which sword it was that we heard. So will Stannis come back next season to continue his unlikely path to the becoming the king who can save Westeros from the WW? ....? ....? what about all those corpses in the snow? Maybe he will be king of corpses instead. next April.

Jon is dead apparently and not in season 6. Kit said nothing about season 7. I predict our first moment of season 6 will involve Ghost. In fact, I predict a season where direwolves start to finally have a strong presence. More on this....

Arya going blind end of season in interesting to me because IMO it strengthens the likelihood that warging Starks will be important in season 6. This fits with the Riverlands being delayed (Nymeria) and Bran coming back. Rickon may also return, along with his crazy wolf. Going blind was the key moment for Arya in the books where she began to actively explore her warging ability via the cat. I like it that if the show gives us warging Starks, it will give it to us all at once.

Sansa is a pretty big question mark with Stannis defeated. Unclear if she will meet up with Brienne, and which direction she will head. My hunch is she will go North to find Jon and look for her brothers. Whatever happens I like that she was not a victim to the end and I look forward to seeing how this diversion for her story eventually realigns with her own book story - the one where she eventually mounts LF's head on a spike.

The walk of shame was really well done IMO. So was the introduction of Sir Robert Strong - very brief, very menacing.

People hated Dorne this season and I get why, but this episode made several previous scenes make more sense. Elaria apologizing to Jamie was meant to make it possible for Elaria to see them off. Tyene flirting with Bronn was meant to introduce the poison used on Myrcella and the fact that there was an antidote so that when Elaria took it no explanation would be needed. Without Tyene's crush she would have no reason at all to save Bronn and so introduce the antidote. Jamie, whose daughter just probably died in his arms (after Joffrey died in Cersei's) will be left blaming Elaria and feeling like an idiot, while Doran will be above suspicion because of his earlier charade about peace with Lannisters - so the death of Myrcella will probably not cause war between Martells and Lannisters. BUT Doran IMO wants revenge as much as the rest of them he just has different methods. I think this episode presents Dornish dynamics sufficiently that we will get where they are coming from in future seasons.

I give it a 3.

Arya stabbing Trant was awesome, the Walk of Shame was really well done and perfect and powerful...and yeah, that's about it. I liked the visual of the Dothrakis surrounding Dany, but kept wondering why Drogon wasn't there like in the books.

Everything else was a mess. It's completely absurd and trollworthy to say you don't have time for a huge story like Stoneheart or Manderley, and then on the same hand wast 7 episodes in Dorne doing completely NOTHING. I mean nothing. Absolutely nothing. Completely pointless. There was no reason to go there without Doran's "fire and blood" speech and the Queenmaker plot.

Don't get me started on For the Watch. There was no development at all for this mess. They just went one episode from Thorne saying "you have a good heart and will get us killed" to "Stabby stabby stabby". No intervening event at all. No development. No reason for it to happen. No Pink Letter. No Ghost (of course sub Olly in ugh).

I could go on and on about the messiness of pretty much everything, but this was really poor writing and characterization on pretty much all fronts.

You don't see how Stannis trying to besiege Winterfell with no food is insulting viewers? Okay, that's absolutely great for you! I'm glad you're happy to watch the show and enjoy it. But please don't spout nonsense about how there aren't plot holes in this show. Because - and I'll repeat this again - Stannis literally tried to besiege a castle... with no food... Do you understand how sieges work? You should, because the show has actually explained that to us a few times. We know that Stannis survived a siege once that lasted around a year, and by that point they were eating rats.

Do you understand that the reason they had no food is because their supplies were burned? Do you understand that they didn't have time to build siege engines or forage because the Bolton sortied out on horse while Stannis had lost half his men and almost all his horse?

This was Stannis being unable to bend. Davos had urged him to go back to Castle Black when the supplies were destroyed. He refused to go back to the Wall because if he did that, he would be "The King Who Ran".

Im no Stannatic and im well aware it's a tv show, but geez, Stannis' arc is so butchered and simplified in the show that it hurts.

Why?

He burns people, books and show. He is rigid, books and show. He will very likely burn Shireen when things look dire for him in the books, though it will play out differently.

He is no more simplified than any other character, and they all have to be simplified if they are ever going to fit in 10 hour seasons. His conflict over Shireen was clear, as was his apparent guilt afterwards, as was his resignation when Brienne confronted him.

Im no Stannatic and im well aware it's a tv show, but geez, Stannis' arc is so butchered and simplified in the show that it hurts.

How so?

Book: decides he's the rightful king, kills Renly with some regrets, fails to take King's Landing, licks his wounds on Dragonstone, decides to fight for the realm (and PR benefit) of defending the Wall, successfully defends the Wall, heads south to fight the Boltons and faces adversity. All the while thinking about but never quite making a blood sacrifice to the Lord of Light, and never really showing much emotional attachment to his daughter.

Show: decides he's the rightful king, kills Renly with some regrets, fails to take King's Landing, licks his wounds on Dragonstone, decides to fight for the realm (and PR benefit) of defending the Wall, successfully defends the Wall, heads south to face the Boltons and faces adversity. All the while thinking about but never quite making a blood sacrifice to the Lord of Light, and at one point showing a deep emotional attachment to his daughter. Then he makes a blood sacrifice to the Lord of Light, and that sacrifice destroys any chance he had of victory. His ambition undoes him.

I'm not too sure how the show butchers or simplifies the arc. Simplifies the character, maybe, but the arc? What Stannis actually does in the books so far is pretty close to what we've seen in the show - when and if we ever get more material for the arc, OK, we may say the show simplifies it, but for now I don't see how that can be said.

Entertaining episode but I think that's because most of the highlights from Dance and Feast were all in this last episode. As an adaptation though I was fairly disappointed.

The battle at Winterfell and death of Stannis was the catastrophically disappointing. I'm praying that the actual battle at Winterfell in TWoW is more satisfying. I was left feeling "Was that it? Seriously!? All that build up and we barely got to see anything.

Tyrion helping rule Meereen seems like interesting prospect (and might be one of the more intriguing changes that will occur next season) but I still feel as if the excitement in Slaver's Bay is completely gone without the impending battle between Dany's forces under Barristan and the Slavers (Not to mention the chaos that is ensuing now the dragons are loose and the Ironborn are approaching).

Theon and Sansa escaping was a little underwhelming but I guess they made the best of what they had.

Arya's scene's were actually enjoyable and I did enjoy them (although I now wish I'd have read the TWoW chapter prior to watching this episode).

The Dornish storyline has been a monumental disaster this season but at least in this episode they actual managed to surprise and excite me with the poisoning of Myrcella (if only for a brief moment).

As for the notorious last scene I did find the actual stabbing to be very well done and certainly provided it with the emotional punch it needed. Still I did feel it was sorely missing the Pink Letter. The chapter in the book gives you a huge range of emotions. There is the gutting kick to the stomach when you first read the letter, the incredible excitement when Jon begins to rally the Wildlings to head south, and then just when it seems to be going good there is the utter devastation of Jon's stabbing.

I sort of knew all along that the show would never live up to the standards of the incredible book series but this is the season that it has really started to show. I don't mind changes if they're good and logical but most of the divergences from the books have been the exact opposite (The dornish storyline has been an absolute shambles). But at least now it's becoming it's own entity so much, it reduces the amount of spoilers for TWoW and ADoS.

Why?

He burns people, books and show. He is rigid, books and show. He will very likely burn Shireen when things look dire for him in the books, though it will play out differently.

He is no more simplified than any other character, and they all have to be simplified if they are ever going to fit in 10 hour seasons. His conflict over Shireen was clear, as was his apparent guilt afterwards, as was his resignation when Brienne confronted him.

Im mainly refering to the final parts now, nevermind the rest. The ideas are there, but the way they come about in the show are just....simplified.

Also, the siege scenario painted in the books is different and - i don't know about the rest of you - leads me to believe that Stannis wins at WF

Edited by Grimbold

I gave it an 8 but I think I will change it back to a 7.

If it ended the way it should have...winter comes to King's Landing and Varys kills Pycelle and Kevan, I would have given it a 9 despite the Dorne crap. But Varys pops up in Mereen so I knew right away the one scene I was hoping for would be null and void. Did not like the final Mereen solution of Jorah and Dario leaving while the other three are in charge of ruling the city.

Best part was Cersie's walk of shame. Lena better win an Emmy for her acting this season. Wish she didn't use a body double but what can you do? The scene worked brilliantly and even made me feel bad for our rotten queen. Stupid part was Robert Strong. Loved seeing him but it's a bit silly that you can obviously tell he is some kind of monster behind the helm. I think people in King's Landing would not be thrilled to notice that. Again, sloppy writing that assumes watchers of the show would be too stupid to figure anything out.

Arya's scenes were also awesome. One major stupid thing was at the end. Why would someone poison themselves and not kill her instead? Also, why did she go blind? Was she poisoned? I didn't see her drink or do anything. Was it a spell? Pretty sloppy writing there.

From A Dance of Dragons epilogue chapter it's clear that in the book pretty much everyone in King's Landing (at least Kevan and all the Tyrells) think that Robert Strong is a complete undead monster. They're too scared to say anything about it without definitive proof. So that was totally in line with the book.

The Arya part was told in the scene if you listen to the dialogue. Jaqen says that "wearing a face while being someone, instead of no one, is like taking poison". That's why she goes blind.

So neither of those were due to sloppy writing, usually it's a good idea to watch the episode a couple of times before judging it too harshly... :leer:

From A Dance of Dragons epilogue chapter it's clear that in the book pretty much everyone in King's Landing (at least Kevan and all the Tyrells) think that Robert Strong is a complete undead monster. They're too scared to say anything about it without definitive proof. So that was totally in line with the book.

The Arya part was told in the scene if you listen to the dialogue. Jaqen says that "wearing a face while being someone, instead of no one, is like taking poison". That's why she goes blind.

So neither of those were due to sloppy writing, usually it's a good idea to watch the episode a couple of times before judging it too harshly... :leer:

No I heard it loud and clear last night. It was amazingly sloppy. Why is it like poison? And, again, why wouldn't he have killed Arya for breaking THE rule of rules of the Faceless Men? And I gave the episode a 7. I fear if I watch it "a couple of times" I will go even lower.

Edited by A Redeemed Hound

all in all this is fanfiction season wide fanfic.

let's put jaime in dorne and make dorne a piece of crap. BECAUSE WE WANT TO.

let's put tyrion with dany. BECAUSE WE WANT HIM THERE.

let's make stannis an effin idiot instead of on one of the best tacticians in westeros. BECAUSE WE DON'T LIKE HIM.

o and also we are goin to put junkless the captain of the useless redshirts, the google translator and a dwarf as regents of the city because the people will hear them. AND WE WANT THAT TO HAPPEN.

this season they said well this things are cool let's make it happen and if it doesn't make any sense nobody cares anyway.

Edited by tormund's beard

"The scene in which Jaime Lannister was finally able to confess his paternity to Myrcella was downright touching"

-andy greenwald, grantland

"The mutiny against Jon Snow isn't meant only level to be satisfying to the audience — Jon is among the show's purest heroes, after all — yet it's not hard to understand why Alliser, Olly, and the others think he deserves it."

-alan sepinwall, hitfix

" In a beautiful overhead shot, we see the Bolton forces closing in on the ranks Stannis has just ordered to dig in for a siege" - Alyssa Rosenberg, washington post

"this season was as good as any in the show’s historic run, and the finale capped that off on an extraordinary high note." - brian lowry, variety

i love the juxtaposition of this board and these reviews.

I quite enjoyed it.

Arya going killer queen on Trant, then when Jaqen drinks the liquid - Maisie's acting was great throughout.

Lena's acting as well was excellent. Really felt like she was at her lowest point. The walk was maybe slightly too long though?

I actually quite liked Stannis's death. It felt poignant. Problem is I don't think Brienne would have just left her watch to run off like that. Or at least, she would have Podrick stand in her place? Also, when Sansa lit the candle the very second after Brienne disappeared was just a bit... too expected? Whatever, it was good to see some Brienne action; I have been missing her this season.

Also unremarkable - Myrcella dying. Isn't Dorne well known for its poisons? How could Jaimie not have noticed?