[Poll] How would you rate episode 510?

Ran

How would you rate episode 510?  

1,157 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Ok, I was never confused as to where Ramsay was and I think just a shot of him riding back to Winterfell could have done the trick, but I'll buy that. Now I'm just waiting for someone to justify the other 1 million times that Ramsay has tortured someone AFTER it had already been established that he was a psychopath.

That's what he DOES. In the novels, that's what he does. He does it so often that Roose has to tell him to keep his fetish hidden.

What I found disturbing on the show was the endless Theon torture scenes last season (I think). That was gratuitous, is not shown in the novels.

2/10

I have no idea if that thing I just watched was "Game of Thrones". I keep hoping I wake up and find it was all a bad dream. Unlikely though.

Some of the scenes were so unspeakably bad that I find it hard to compare it to any other scene ever seen on TV. I won't even bother to write down my complaints. The few moments that weren't terrible were during Cersei's walk, that's what I give 2 points for. The rest is a thing for which no word has yet been invented.

Luckily, this is the end of the series. At least for me. I will not watch one minute of the next season, and leave this thread to those who still manage to enjoy this ... thing. Good for you.

I, however, feel l want to cast the curse on this series that Servillia cast on Atia in "Rome". I wish it a slow and painful death.

Isn't it sad that years later Rome still has moments where it outclasses GOT? I'll keep watching GOT just to see it all fall apart. I can remember a time when Boardwalk Empire was pretty interesting and then they killed off all their complex characters in favor of 1 dimensional characters with tropey, thick Italian accents. Then Season 4 and 5 happened. Oh my lord, talk about down hill. All GOT has to do is look next door at Boardwalk Empire to find out what happens when you kill your complex characters for the sake of shock value- a rapid and awfully uninteresting decline, and finally death by Season 5 to a show that could have gone to Season 7 or 8 if they hadn't made such poor decisions.

Isn't it sad that years later Rome still has moments where it outclasses GOT? I'll keep watching GOT just to see it all fall apart. I can remember a time when Boardwalk Empire was pretty interesting and then they killed off all their complex characters in favor of 1 dimensional characters with tropey, thick Italian accents. Then Season 4 and 5 happened. Oh my lord, talk about down hill. All GOT has to do is look next door at Boardwalk Empire to find out what happens when you kill your complex characters for the sake of shock value- a rapid and awfully uninteresting decline, and finally death by Season 5 to a show that could have gone to Season 7 or 8 if they hadn't made such poor decisions.

Couldn't agree more - "Rome" is doing 9 out of 10 things better than GoT. HBO's golden years are over, it seems. I need to make money and buy a TV channel ...

That's what he DOES. In the novels, that's what he does. He does it so often that Roose has to tell him to keep his fetish hidden.

What I found disturbing on the show was the endless Theon torture scenes last season (I think). That was gratuitous, is not shown in the novels.

Here's the thing, I don't find it disturbing anymore. I find it silly and even boring and that is dangerous waters for a show to tread.

Also, I just don't agree with the that's what he "does" or "that how it happened in the books." Those are just no excuses, in my opinion, for bad storytelling, film or literature. These are not real characters. Someone wrote those books and someone made those films and the characters and stories in those books and films are open to critique just like every other book ever written in the history of literature and film have been. I'm not letting GRRM off the hook here either. I like his story for the most part. I like the way it started but I've lost faith in GRRM and D&D to tell a story. The most interesting parts of the books to me have been fan theories that never actually appear and may never appear in the books or the show. We give them too much credit. It's like we keep saying "but what if this simple part of the story is really just GRRM's genius way of hiding a more complex idea!" but it NEVER happens that way. It never makes it to the page or the screen and it always turns out to be just, somple. GRRM puts a lot of his ego in his books. All I am saying is that Ramsay as a psychopath has been established. If the show is going to dare to make him a complex character with lots of screen time after raping our protagonist then they need to focus on developing him rather than continuously have him torture random people in a cruel way.

Here's the thing, I don't find it disturbing anymore. I find it silly and even boring and that is dangerous waters for a show to tread.

Also, I just don't agree with the that's what he "does" or "that how it happened in the books." Those are just no excuses, in my opinion, for bad storytelling, film or literature. These are not real characters. Someone wrote those books and someone made those films and the characters and stories in those books and films are open to critique just like every other book ever written in the history of literature and film have been. I'm not letting GRRM off the hook here either. I like his story for the most part. I like the way it started but I've lost faith in GRRM and D&D to tell a story. The most interesting parts of the books to me have been fan theories that never actually appear and may never appear in the books or the show. We give them too much credit. It's like we keep saying "but what if this simple part of the story is really just GRRM's genius way of hiding a more complex idea!" but it NEVER happens that way. It never makes it to the page or the screen and it always turns out to be just, somple. GRRM puts a lot of his ego in his books. All I am saying is that Ramsay as a psychopath has been established. If the show is going to dare to make him a complex character with lots of screen time after raping our protagonist then they need to focus on developing him rather than continuously have him torture random people in a cruel way.

I didn't like the theon torture i felt like you could have added to the bolton backstory with the half brother he killed which would parallel with cat hating jon. since then? no i think they have done a good job with him. you usually just see the after effects of his action instead of 10 mins of him cutting a old woman with a knife.

Had some fantastic moments (Cersei's walk of shame, however unearned -- it was fabulously shot), The Ides of Olly, Daenaerys in the Dothraki sea even though it was still lacking just like Daznak's pit.

Everything else was boring. I doubt I'll be able to recall anything else from this episode going forward other than all the awful Dorne scenes.

And I'm completely and utterly ambivalent towards the Arya scene.

I rated the previous on 10, so this is getting a 10 too, but it's around 9,25-9,50

I don't care what anybody says, my mind was blown. In spite of all the illogical stuff they failed/forgot to sort out. I think it was an epic way to close a season. I can of course force myself into the point of view that absolutely hated it and sort of understand why some people would hate it. But I'll just casually stay with my own POV and love it.

I feel like the finale tied many of the question marks of the previous episodes together. The whole deal with Bronn and Tyene and the poison made sense, Myrcella's and Shireen's deaths were, imo, beautiful parallels, as well as Joffrey's and Myrcella's deaths. I really liked the way they solved Theon and Sansa's escape (with Myranda) this was in perfect balance with both Sansa's and Theon's attitude towards the other this season. Stannis's demise was nicely built up from the point where he burned Shireen (before that it was pretty much a mess, but for this episode, it worked well enough) and Selyse's suicide sealed the fact that she was not, after all, a bad character at all. Melisandre was spot on as well. Stannis was Stannis until his last(?) breath. I liked how quickly Brienne forgot about Sansa and the old tower as soon as she got a chance to take revenge on Renly. The bird perspective battle looked stunning, I think. The Wall scenes were pretty good. The Arya scenes were pretty good as well and I was glad that we got the classic Arya tickles the Tickler scene from the books with the mad stabbing. The Jaqen stuff was good too, but I feel like Maisie could have done a better job on them. The Cersei scenes were good, though somewhat unnecessarily lengthy. I especially liked the High Sparrow's smile when Cersei started her walk, it presented perfectly that he's not at all the objective servant of the faith who does nothing but carries out the will of the gods. He enjoys punishing those he dislikes and in that aspect he is as low as anybody else. It's a pretty bit of irony to the whole rise of the faith. I also liked the first half of the Daario/Jorah/Tyrion scene, it was funny. When Daario started making decisions and sketching up the status quo though things went all wrong, because the status quo and the decisions are gaping plotholes. Last time I checked the Unsullied were NOT the only thing that could keep the peace of Meereen since they had failed at that twice this season. Who and why would follow Greyworm who never did any leading and had been holed up in a sick room for 6 episodes? It made zero sense. However, Missandei and Greyworm being made semi-official king and queen of Meereen in everybody's absence was cute and hopefully a hint about what might happen to Meereen in the books as well. I loved Daenerys's messy hair. Awesome hair styling. However, Drogon is not supposed to be so badly injured. If three spear-wounds can hurt a half grown dragon so bad how come the Targaryen enemies hadn't just killed the dragons of old ages? They aren't supposed to be this easy to injure so badly. Drogon is a massive dragon, three spears can hardly do such damage. Also, he should have been with Daenerys when the Dothraki found her. Like this, Daenerys is as vulnerable as she was in season 1 and they missed out on another epic scene, the smoldering carcass and the girl in the smoke and ashes... Their loss. The horsemen stunts though... That looked awesome.

Basically all scenes were cliffhangers and somehow that didn't bother me. At least we got to close the Stannis business. That was a heartwarming suprise. Yes, I absolutely love the fact that the show is spoiling the books. FINALLY there is progress. And I don't mind most of the changes this episode, because they worked out for the most part and many of them affected scenes that I didn't like in the books and prefer this alternative as much as a blasphemy that may sound to someone.

So I was pretty happy with this episode, I enjoyed it a lot. There are of course bits that I disliked and bits that didn't work, but that doesn't change the fact that I finally had a great time watching Game of Thrones again after the struggly mid-season (and kick-off).

I gave it a 9. I think it was a very solid episode, with highlights on the walk of shame, Arya´s scenes, and maybe some Winterfell. I don´t understand why people put so many 1 to the episode, I mean obviously it´s your opinion but I think most of the ones they rate it with a 1 are not rating the episode itself but how it was adapted. It´s time to realise the differences between books and show.

I gave it a 9. I think it was a very solid episode, with highlights on the walk of shame, Arya´s scenes, and maybe some Winterfell. I don´t understand why people put so many 1 to the episode, I mean obviously it´s your opinion but I think most of the ones they rate it with a 1 are not rating the episode itself but how it was adapted. It´s time to realise the differences between books and show.

I guess we can say this all we want, nobody will believe us. But still: No. I don't care about changes. I was fine with Talisa, a change most hated. I put up with Craster's last season, didn't mind the beetle speech, got over the lack of LSH. But this season was terrible storytelling by absolutely all standards that exist. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it - you can probably enjoy it enough to give it a 10, I really don't care. But there are good, objective reasons to rate it as very bad.

Edited by Gargarax

My first post, long time lurker.

I gave it a 5.

I thought the Cersei atonement was the highlight of the episode, I actually think they depicted it better than the book. It was quite hard to watch, despite how easy one might hate Cersei, she certainly got some of her due comeuppence in that scene.

Even the "betcha can't guess who this guy in the armour is!" couldn't spoil it. But serisouly, they might as well stuck a sign on him that said "This is the Mountain brah!"

Unfortunately there was little else I liked, Arya's story arc is my favourite in the books and I feel they are blasting through it way too fast. The scene with Trant was way too over the top imo, I much preferred the slow and methodical merciless way she dispatched the soldier who took needle in Season 2.

Dorne segments continue to be the worst thing so far in the series. Such a waste of Jamie and Bron.

My biggest complaint though was with how they handled "for the Watch". When reading that in the books I always looked at Jon's final decision being the last straw for everyone else. Whereas the show just made it look like a painfully obvious setup full of malice. I mean how long has it been since Benjen has been mentioned in the show to Jon in terms of sightings? Season 2...?

I quite liked the Stannis arc, definitely felt a little rushed but I was quite glad to see him get a wake up call. He's still boss as hell and "do your duty" was perfect. I can't help but wonder if Brienne went through with it.

What I haven't covered just didn't leave much of an impression I guess.

I gave it a10 unreservedly. An even better episode than Hardhome, and my favourite episode since the finale of season 4. Some people might complain about the length of Cersei's walk of shame as if this were in any way gratuitous, but GRRM devotes an entire chapter to it, and it is meant to get uncomfortable. At first you're titillated by the nudity and like to see Cersei getting her comeuppance, and then you wind up feeling a bit sorry for her despite her monstrousness because the High Sparrow and the people of the Faith are so loathsome.

<snip>

I'd have preffered Jon's stabbing to be surrounded by some giant action and chaos in camp chaos as it is in ADwD, but again job well done. For those Unsullied demeriting the episode because of its number of cliffhangers, the fifth novel is more extreme in this, and actually leaves the fates of even more main characters and important minor characters in doubt than has been presented in the finale. What ultimately happens with Arya is the only thing they've not caught up with yet.

I liked it better than Hardhome too. :cheers: I think we are in the minority there. Agree very much with bolded statements.

I gave it a 10.

Here's why: It was not as amazingly exciting as Hardhome, but FFS not every episode needs to be an exciting battle or have good guys win to be good. The job of the finale is to wrap up the season and lead into the next and this episode did that, and did it well.

Brienne's arc this season was all about her vow to protect Sansa and her desire to kill Stannis. It was inevitable that those two things would come into conflict. They did. Just as Sansa was about to light her candle Brienne got some blood lust and took off. She missed her chance to be the hero, in a story that constantly reminds us that the fictional notion of heroes is BS.

On that note on to Stannis. The man whose good does not erase his bad, nor the bad the good. He may not be dead but will be presumed to be dead. I love it that I don't have the slightest clue. Brienne may have killed him, or he may have fought back and killed her, as he just did against the Bolton soldiers, or ome of them may have crept up behind her and killed her and taken Stannis to Ramsay. There was definitely some sword that fell, we just don't know which sword it was that we heard. So will Stannis come back next season to continue his unlikely path to the becoming the king who can save Westeros from the WW? ....? ....? what about all those corpses in the snow? Maybe he will be king of corpses instead. next April.

Jon is dead apparently and not in season 6. Kit said nothing about season 7. I predict our first moment of season 6 will involve Ghost. In fact, I predict a season where direwolves start to finally have a strong presence. More on this....

Arya going blind end of season in interesting to me because IMO it strengthens the likelihood that warging Starks will be important in season 6. This fits with the Riverlands being delayed (Nymeria) and Bran coming back. Rickon may also return, along with his crazy wolf. Going blind was the key moment for Arya in the books where she began to actively explore her warging ability via the cat. I like it that if the show gives us warging Starks, it will give it to us all at once.

Sansa is a pretty big question mark with Stannis defeated. Unclear if she will meet up with Brienne, and which direction she will head. My hunch is she will go North to find Jon and look for her brothers. Whatever happens I like that she was not a victim to the end and I look forward to seeing how this diversion for her story eventually realigns with her own book story - the one where she eventually mounts LF's head on a spike.

The walk of shame was really well done IMO. So was the introduction of Sir Robert Strong - very brief, very menacing.

People hated Dorne this season and I get why, but this episode made several previous scenes make more sense. Elaria apologizing to Jamie was meant to make it possible for Elaria to see them off. Tyene flirting with Bronn was meant to introduce the poison used on Myrcella and the fact that there was an antidote so that when Elaria took it no explanation would be needed. Without Tyene's crush she would have no reason at all to save Bronn and so introduce the antidote. Jamie, whose daughter just probably died in his arms (after Joffrey died in Cersei's) will be left blaming Elaria and feeling like an idiot, while Doran will be above suspicion because of his earlier charade about peace with Lannisters - so the death of Myrcella will probably not cause war between Martells and Lannisters. BUT Doran IMO wants revenge as much as the rest of them he just has different methods. I think this episode presents Dornish dynamics sufficiently that we will get where they are coming from in future seasons.

Agree with most of the above, particularly the bolded parts. Hope you're right about Sansa.

Even bad pussy? I can't imagine a universe in which anyone likes bad pussy.

Gaaaahh! :ack:

That was just god-awful.

The more and more the show proves fan theories carefully cradled even for over a decade to be false the more and more the ratings for the episodes on this site drop. It's beautiful.

I think you're correct. People are really married to their ideas.

I feel like FTW feel stupid after the fist of the first men and so did all of the watches reactions to jon's decisions but they were all understandable and human reactions to me. don't see why the watch would believe jon or the men that went with him or the wildings? most of these guys didn't trust him anyway as they didn't vote for him.

Agree. We as viewers know they have done a really stupid, short sighted thing but they were Jon's enemies plus a gullible kid. The viewer knowing Jon was right and his assassins wrong will make his resurrection so much sweeter.

I'm a bit conflicted. On one hand, i hated the Battle of Winterfell, and the entire Northern storyline felt pointless, which is a shame, because it should've been easier to adapt than almost all other storylines in DWD. On the other, i actually liked Stannis's final moments, and I did not mind Brienne killing him one bit. Ramsay has become unbelievably god like.

The Dothraki scene was okay. Nothing special, but i do dislike the implications of Daario and Jorah showing up to save Dany. I don't think Daenerys needs to be saved. She's Daenerys.

Dorne sucks. It's sucked the whole season. It's perfectly understandable as to why they would diverge from the books here. I am not against diverging from the books, but i am against poor writing. Dorne was even worse than Book!Dorne, and that says a lot. It seems to only have been included because Oberyn was a hit last season. They should've cut it entirely. If if they absolutely needed Dorne, then they adapted the wrong characters(Sand Snakes).

The saving grace was the walk of course. I'm not really a fan of the show's portrayal of the faith militant, but they nailed this scene. The acting was fantastic. Kudos to Lena. She has always been great.

Edited by Dain Storm

Looking past plot holes and stupid logistics I really enjoyed the eps. I'm glad they left so many cliff hangers 8.

As an adaptation I would give it a lower score. I think 5 would be generous.

Has anyone suggested running two polls one based on over all enjoyment and one based on how well you thought it was adapted. I feel like these should be judge separately.

I think it's more a case of rating the overall story vs. rating the scenes in isolation. The scenes usually work, we get some good acting and acceptable cinematography and such. The story however is pretty much nonexistent, almost everything is a pure asspull with zero character development, plot progression, continuity or even basic logic.

Edited by Facebookless Man