[Poll] How would you rate episode 510?

Ran

How would you rate episode 510?  

1,157 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I think it's more a case of rating the overall story vs. rating the scenes in isolation. The scenes usually work, we get some good acting and acceptable cinematography and such. The story however is pretty much nonexistent, almost everything is a pure asspull with zero character development, plot progression, continuity or even basic logic.

As I see it, the scenes only serve now to use them to illustrate a future ASOIAF edition with images and stuff.

The more and more the show proves fan theories carefully cradled even for over a decade to be false the more and more the ratings for the episodes on this site drop. It's beautiful.

What theories has the show proven to be false?

Valyrian steel killing Others?

Shireen being burned?

Stannis never sitting on the throne?

Myrcella dying?

Because all of those things are very much written in big red letters to happen in the next books :dunno:

Here's the thing, I don't find it disturbing anymore. I find it silly and even boring and that is dangerous waters for a show to tread.

Also, I just don't agree with the that's what he "does" or "that how it happened in the books." Those are just no excuses, in my opinion, for bad storytelling, film or literature. These are not real characters. Someone wrote those books and someone made those films and the characters and stories in those books and films are open to critique just like every other book ever written in the history of literature and film have been. I'm not letting GRRM off the hook here either. I like his story for the most part. I like the way it started but I've lost faith in GRRM and D&D to tell a story. The most interesting parts of the books to me have been fan theories that never actually appear and may never appear in the books or the show. We give them too much credit. It's like we keep saying "but what if this simple part of the story is really just GRRM's genius way of hiding a more complex idea!" but it NEVER happens that way. It never makes it to the page or the screen and it always turns out to be just, somple. GRRM puts a lot of his ego in his books. All I am saying is that Ramsay as a psychopath has been established. If the show is going to dare to make him a complex character with lots of screen time after raping our protagonist then they need to focus on developing him rather than continuously have him torture random people in a cruel way.

Well, the fantasy genre usually leads to a lot of speculation by readers mainly because of the many 'signs' and symbolism GRRM actually puts in his novels, which is really good for a complex story if we talk about quality in literature. This saga has not ended yet and that's how it functions. Theories are what makes the whole story interesting. Speculating. Overthinking all the possibilities. I agree that Martin puts a lot of his ego in the books but that's not necessarily a bad thing at all for what he does, it means he only uses the megalomaniac element as a resource for his novels.

Also, I asume that D&D are trying to make the best adaptation they can do. I think they have made a lot of mistakes and sometimes I simply don't understand their choices but in other situations like hardhome for example they make out of nothing a really good change that went great in TV. For me the more development of characters like Ramsay or Joffrey works totally fine, even if they are psychopaths. Because that's how they're written.

What theories has the show proven to be false?

Valyrian steel killing Others?

Shireen being burned?

Stannis never sitting on the throne?

Myrcella dying?

Because all of those things are very much written in big red letters to happen in the next books :dunno:

Seeing that even now there are people trying to make up theories why Stannis is actually alive.. yes :thumbsup:

And I thought Bethesda not revealing any news about Elder Scrolls 6 would be the only disappointment of my Sunday night. Man was I wrong. I'm a little late to the party, and I don't usually rant, but I'mma make an exception this time. I didn't read through all these pages - mainly 'cause the outrage (I presume) over last night's episode has caused a massive influx of people and the board is now freaking out and going into the corner to cower in the feeble position every 34 seconds, so most of what I'll say has probably already been said - but it doesn't matter. Onward.

Let's get the good parts out of the way first; the only scene I thought was good was Cersei's walk of shame. In the books, that scene never really impacted me; I never felt bad for Cersei. The show's version however, did make me feel bad for her, despite my disdain for Cersei. That takes skill, 'cause Zeus knows how much I disliked her and her stupid :/ face. A well done scene. But keeping up with that, I'm not sure how I feel about show Robert Strong. It's just his face that kinda bothers me. You can tell it's a fokin dwarf's head on that Gregor body, and that for some reason kinda bugged me - even though it makes sense.

Now on to the really dumb parts. I've excluded all the scenes that were unimpressive or I simply didn't lean one way or the other with them. They just ranged from meh to okay. I wanna talk about the parts that I actually took note of and was bothered by. As a preface, I'm not a book purist. I enjoyed many changes in the show and thought that certain ones (including characters) were better than their book counterparts. But these instances below were pretty damn facepalm-worthy. They are...

- Mel ditching Stannis. I'll say this; if the show was trying to get across that Mel finally realizes she's shit at fortune-telling and finally realizes Stannis is not the Red God's chosen, then I can accept this scene. Otherwise, her just ditching him without a word is just weird. However, her reaction at Castle Black gives me hope it's the former, 'cause spending several seasons backing a man and then going "welp, didn't work out" when shit hits the fan is kinda dumb and out of character.

- Brienne. Fuckin' Brienne. At this point I hate her more than Ramsay, and I'm not even a Stannis fan. "Arya, come with me." "No!" "Fine, I'll kill this super-awesome Hound you're with and take you." "Sod off." *Fast forward some time* "Sansa, come with me." "No!" "Okay, I'll cut up some more men guarding you, stalk you to Winterfell, and wait." *Fast forward some more* "I'm gonna kill you Stannis, to avenge Renly 'cause he was nice to me and even though he usurped you and you killed him during war I still can't accept that and will now kill you even though you're fighting the Boltons and they're the greater evil but no I'm Brienne the Avenger." She literally does not understand the meaning of sod off. Not only that, but Brienne is THE queen of convenience. She clearly prays to the Plot Gods. Runs into Arya, survives the fight (top kek). Runs into Sansa, manages to escape, manages to save Pod at the last minute (to le rescue!). Somehow avoids the entire battle and manages to find Stannis alone and weak. Fuckin' A. GG, well played, no re. And even if she doesn't kill him, it's still dumb that she's riding the plot currents. Tossing out the Riverlands plot to give her a Hollywood journey was lame.

- The snows melted + really high walls + jump off the walls... My thoughts on this scene are best described and summarized by a comment on Youtube that I found...

"Sansa, you thinking what I'm thinking, partner?"

"Aim for the bushes."

- So Arya is already a master Faceless Man? No painful experiences and training required, evidently. Just pull off, pull on. And the face-pulling part in the HoBaW... One of my unsullied friends asked "Who the fuck is who anymore?" I was under the impression that Faceless Men cannot change their body mass and that the faces they use are harvested from the dead. Could've also sworn they couldn't change their voices, but I'm not 100% sure on that last one. So either all of that's a lie or assumption, or the show-ruuners just went "fuck it, magic."

- This episode set in stone that show-'Daario' is not the Daario character. Instead, he's random merc #741. A level-headed, logical, and reasonable Daario - being buddy-buddy with everyone and acting all responsible? Wut. He literally exhibits none of the characteristics of book Daario or 1st show Daario. The fact that 1st Daario actually did a good job in mein opinion makes it even worse, 'cause now it's so easy to visualize what was lost. I don't dislike the actor nor the character, but he's definitely not Daario and I'd rather have Daario.

- At first I was gonna include this, but fuck it - Varys popping up out of nowhere was fuckin' hilarious. Love the actor and the character, even better in the show for me, and at this point he's probably one of my favorite surviving characters. His and Tyrion's friendship is really well done, so I can forgive everything regarding Varys.

- Dany... Honestly not that horrible this time around and she's actually not even THE problem here. It's the ninja Dothraki who make this scene dumb. Having one or two of the riders sneak up on her, over the hill? Sure. Having an entire horde approach from miles without her hearing or seeing any glimpse of 'em? Dumb. Especially since she was uphill from most of 'em.

- Fuck Dorne. Gotta be vulgar here. There was not a single character introduced with Dorne that I cared for, liked, or enjoyed watching on screen. Oberyn's waifu has made it to my PoS characters list. Dorne was horribly done, I hope it and everything associated with it (aside from Jay-Bro) not only fails to make it to future seasons, but is/are also burned in righteous fire and leave no trace behind. The "bad pussy" line made me cringe more than any other line in the show that I can remember, and there's been a lot of cheesy shit this season. Irrelevantcelle finding out Jaime the baby daddy was okay, even though I couldn't care less about her and her stupid boyfriend. I hope Jaime cleaves him in twain soon.

- Jon not sending Sam but instead Sam asking wasn't a huge problem for me, but compared to the book version, show-Jon still doesn't seem like a leader and instead puts friendship before the need of the Watch.

- For the Watch. Lol. First off, it was kinda weird that Jon believed Olly and his hype over news of Benjen. Olly doesn't know shite about the Watch, let alone 'bout BJ Stark. Jon should've been all like, "Why so hype, Olly?" Movin' on, Alliser Thorne taking part was meh - he's not there in the books so can't say what his opinion or involvement would've been, but it was kinda weird seeing so many NW brothers involved. And the stabbing was laughable. He gets - what, 4 full-blown stabs or so before falling to his knees? Yoren took a single crossbow bolt to the shoulder and went to one knee. Jon Ironface Snow not only survived and got up from his face-to-anvil incident in the last season, but also managed to stay standing after several stabs to the gut. And I knew it was coming, but Olly being there with his shite little face and using his shite little knife was also cringeworthy. I actually went back and played Guile's Theme while watching that scene and it made it 10 times better. Honestly, if they would've hired Dave Chappelle, plugged him into everyone's scenes, and turned this episode into a comedy, I think it would've been a lot more enjoyable.

Overall pretty bad.

I thought it was great. Was way more disappointed after The Children last year and felt season 3s finale was very anticlimactic outside of the aftermath of the red wedding, I actually liked this finale. Big stannis fan, so obviously disappointed, but I still liked everything about Dillanes performance. At least with Myrcella dying, something came out of dorne which like everyone says, was awful, but in the books it was awful so what can you expect. Doran giving the head nod to ellaria before she kisses her gives me hope some well still get some kind of secret plan. Yes i feel it's been obvious that each season has gone down, I don't know what it is exactly,whether it's d&d, how the story goes after storm of swords, if it's just gotten to much hype, but it's still a damn good show and better than a lot that's out there.

I'm not cranky you just complained about plot holes and then had a full post of things that weren't even close to plot holes. And you're not the only one in this thread to do it.

I wouldn't talk about intelligent offerings when you make a post about something,that something being plot holes, and you fail to list a single plot hole.

Was this best episode ever? No. Like I said earlier, it's still a lot closer to being one of the better things on tv in the past week, than it is to being one of the worst. And atleast I find enjoyment from it. You're the one who apparently believes it's "drivel", thinks it's full of plotholes (but you can't list any that are actually plot holes) and yet you still watch it. So what's more intelligent, again?

The Dorne thing was a plot hole. According to you, Ellaria wanted to "start a war." we'll, instigating a war by killing a princess, while handing over the (apparent) next in line for the seat of "Dorne" is not the way to do it. The whole point of hostages is to prevent escalations of war. No way the dornish will follow a war which would lead to the death of a Martell, despite all the sand snakes hope. Now, if Ellarias goal was simply to kill Lannisters, why not take out Jaime too with another kiss? Hole in either case.

Regarding Sansa, fine maybe I missed some of the dialogue, but holding up an arrow at the lady of winterfell, even if the goal was to knick her, is probably not a good move. Ramsey himself said to Sansa how happy he was that she wasn't unattractive. You think Ramsey wouldn't have been a little miffed if she had done even a little damage? Maybe not plot hole since I might have missed some dialogue, but dumb nonetheless.

And my issues with plot holes isn't specifically with this ep, but almost anytime they deviate from the novels. that thing where Jon knows that Bran and Rickon are alive is full of holes. He hates Ramsey, you don't think Jon should have mentioned to Stannis that there are male Starks still alive? There's no reason to hold that back. Considering the North and Winterfell are at stake.

Look, I just didnt like the episode. Sorry.

Ehhhhh. 6. Not really a "break the internet" moment for me, but then we kind of guessed that was more for the unsullied than anything else. The Cersei and Jon scenes are pretty much the only reason it's rated higher. If anything, I think I'm just relieved I can talk about it with my unsullied family now.

For a while I had thought that D&D were pandering to the lowest common denominator, but after this episode I'm starting to accept that D&D ARE the LOWEST common denominators. They can't do better than this. This is them showing us their ineptitude.