[Poll] How would you rate episode 510?

Ran

How would you rate episode 510?  

1,157 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Golden Hand the just I think that the fact that that goofball Daario seems so strong is that they needlessly killed the better characters (and actors) around him. Selmy should have been making those calls in the aftermath of Dany's Neverending Story not that guy. And I thought that the original actor looked more the part- this guy's kind of plain.

"The scene in which Jaime Lannister was finally able to confess his paternity to Myrcella was downright touching"

-andy greenwald, grantland

"The mutiny against Jon Snow isn't meant only level to be satisfying to the audience — Jon is among the show's purest heroes, after all — yet it's not hard to understand why Alliser, Olly, and the others think he deserves it."

-alan sepinwall, hitfix

" In a beautiful overhead shot, we see the Bolton forces closing in on the ranks Stannis has just ordered to dig in for a siege" - Alyssa Rosenberg, washington post

"this season was as good as any in the show’s historic run, and the finale capped that off on an extraordinary high note." - brian lowry, variety

i love the juxtaposition of this board and these reviews.

:cheers:

Nice dodge and hyperbole but it still doesn't cover that you bashed the show for having too many cliffhangers when the book had more.

Having EVERY single storyline end with a cliffhanger is disastrously poor writing. D&D have no idea what they're doing

Edited by The Agency of Sansa Stark

Gave it a seven. Enjoyed it overall, and relieved it was better than last week.

I didn't understand why Melisandre suddenly left Stannis. No explanation, completely out of the blue, goes against everything her character has done up to that point, especially what she did last week. Did she see something in some flames that made her reevaluate her vision?

Stannis' army seemed too small to lay siege to Winterfell even if the Boltons hadn't suddenly got hold of a lot of cavalry (Stannis' deserters, presumably? We are left to infer this). The Bolton army in past episodes looked at least equal to double Stannis' forces even without reinforcements.

Since we didn't see Brienne kill Stannis, she must have spared him. Why on earth would she do that?

Why did the show have Daenerys meet the Dothraki horde without her dragon? It's much more dramatic, and more impressive to the Dothraki, the way it's done in the books. They do not respect people who go about on foot; they do respect people with a good mount, and a dragon tops any horse. Why is Drogon so easily wounded by spears, as opposed to in the books, where it's clear spears will melt if they pierce a dragon's flesh? Why did they film a scene taking place north of hot, dry Meereen in what looks like a northern Irish landscape?

Barristan would have made a more credible viceroy than Grey Worm let alone Missandei. Just because you're a trusted confidante doesn't mean people will accept your authority, far from it. Too bad the writers decided they had no more use for Barristan.

Why make it so obvious that there is something strange about Ser Robert Strong by having his eyes visible?

Who on earth poisoned themself just to teach Arya some kind of lesson? Was it supposed to be literally no one, or just another person showing up at the House of Black and White for a mercy killing, or an actual Faceless Man? You'd think the latter would be too expensive to waste.

I loved seeing Arya kill Ser Meryn Trant, but really how many stabs does it take to kill a man? If he's still able to sit up and whimper after all that, he's still able to kill her, just like the Mountain killed Oberyn.

Cersei certainly has a great body, and didn't they give us plenty of time to look at it?

Sansa and Theon needed a much bigger pile of snow to jump into, and a lot more tree cover and/or fog to have a hope of escaping.

Are Ellaria and the sand snakes going to ride off in case the ship turns around and tells Prince Doran what happened? If they are, why not show them doing that?

Edit: Reek was good. One of the best performances of the season.

Edited by The Boar of Gore

Having EVERY single storyline end with a cliffhanger is disastrously poor writing. D&D have no idea what they're doing

OMG, are you serious? They are damned if they do, damned if they don't around here.

George had even *more* cliffhangers in ADWD. At least we had Stannis taken care of.

Also, it is possible, quite possible in fact, that they left it at the same point so as to give George time to finish Winds. Had they plowed ahead and resolved the cliffhangers from Winds the moaning on here about WE WUZ SPOILED OMGSSSS would have been a storm like no other.

I liked it overall. I agree with some that the Dorne storyline was pretty lame. Maybe Elaria (sp?) doesn't care if Trystan is killed as that will make his father even angrier and more likely to go to war. I liked most everything else. One minor complaint would be having Sam ask to go to Old Town rather than it be Jon's idea like in the books. It's minor but I think it took away from Jon's leadership strengths a little.

OMG, are you serious? They are damned if they do, damned if they don't around here.

George had even *more* cliffhangers in ADWD. At least we had Stannis taken care of.

Also, it is possible, quite possible in fact, that they left it at the same point so as to give George time to finish Winds. Had they plowed ahead and resolved the cliffhangers from Winds the moaning on here about WE WUZ SPOILED OMGSSSS would have been a storm like no other.

Em no. There's still people arguing if brienne killed stannis. So it seems like they couldn't even concluded their concluded ending. Bad writing.

And once again, no. It's not even possible. Look at the size of a feast and a dance. It's ridiculous they tried to make that one season, it would be impossible to resolve those endings, like winds will do, this episode. That's quite possible (the impossible part).

And there would be a WE WUZ SPOILED OMGSSSS storm because they couldn't do it right. This season has proven how bad the writers are, if they could have given us the spoilers at GRRM quality then I encourage them to resolve these cliffhangers. But they can't and they couldn't even end the cliffhangers well. At least not to the level George did.

Edited by Nights King's Queen

Em no. There's still people arguing if brienne killed stannis. So it seems like they couldn't even concluded their concluded ending. Bad writing.

And once again, no. It's not even possible. Look at the size of a feast and a dance. It's ridiculous they tried to make that one season, it would be impossible to resolve those endings, like winds will do, this episode. That's quite possible (the impossible part).

And there would be a WE WUZ SPOILED OMGSSSS storm because they couldn't do it right. This season has proven how bad the writers are, if they could have given us the spoilers at GRRM quality then I encourage them to resolve these cliffhangers. But they can't and they couldn't even end the cliffhangers well. At least not to the level George did.

Wait, so because some people misinterpreted Stannis' death, it doesn't count? Sorry, he's dead. It's CANON CONFIRMED. Watch Inside the Episode.

Look at the size of Feast and Dance. Yes, I know. Ask yourself if they could make that 2, 3 or 4 seasons and not bore everyone to tears. They couldn't have seasons of Tyrion traipsing around and Brienne traipsing around and Jaime traipsing around and Sansa stuffing her face with lemon cakes, etc. etc. etc.

They knew they had to cut those middle books down for economy or storytelling. I happen to think they failed in many respects, but thank god they tried, and failed in ONE SEASON rather than dragging it out. I would much rather have one poor season that skips over the meandering mess of A Feast for Dancing Dragons than to see those things put on the screen and drag the entire franchise into cancellation.

what show merits are you all talking about ???? and im not talking about the changes from the book because okay you can't put everything but the storytelling was crap, shocking moments stick togheter with snot, illogical (and not in the its a fantasy world way) things happening left and right it breaks any immersion attempt.

what show merits are you all talking about ???? and im not talking about the changes from the book because okay you can't put everything but the storytelling was crap, shocking moments stick togheter with snot, illogical (and not in the its a fantasy world way) things happening left and right it breaks any immersion attempt.

Apparently it's called "artistic reinterpretation". I just learned that.

Or the nuanced nature of the characters.

GRRM has said he is not interested in white hat/black hat characters and that Jon himself will become more grey, and not through death, (in the sample chapter of Winds, wasn't Jon running from something-of course it didn't give what form he was in).

Even Thorne, who in the book is elsewhere, I would be willing to bet he wouldn't have sanctioned the murder of Jon, which these guys don't get as we're hit over the head with white hat/black hat characters.

Much of what GRRM writes is influenced by Faulkner and "conflicts of the heart," as stated by the author himself, as well as history, (Cersei's walk of shame is based on Jane Shore, mistress of Edward IV. His brother, Richard III had her turned out).

GOT is basically about "War of the Roses" with dragons.

the difference between critics who review a tv show on its merits and a bunch of overinvested emotionally immature fans who can't cope with artistic re-interpretation.

and of course a fish rots from the head down.

I believe most of the "overinvested, emotionally immature fans" wish that it was even remotely artistic, or even well written- THATS the issue. GRRM hasn't even finished the thing for it to be "re-envisioned," or "re-interpreted."

I can't say that I'm emotionally invested in any of them with the exception of Arya, and I don't care that I'm wrong about my theories or specualtion, TBH, it's kind of fun because I'm also not emotionally invested in being "right."

What I AM invested in is well-told story, and the books are the only place I'm going to get that. So yeah, I am done with the show.

I believe most of the "overinvested, emotionally immature fans" wish that it was even remotely artistic, or even well written- THATS the issue. GRRM hasn't even finished the thing for it to be "re-envisioned," or "re-interpreted."

I can't say that I'm emotionally invested in any of them with the exception of Arya, and I don't care that I'm wrong about my theories or specualtion, TBH, it's kind of fun because I'm also not emotionally invested in being "right."

What I AM invested in is well-told story, and the books are the only place I'm going to get that. So yeah, I am done with the show.

no hyperbole there, oh no. It must be weird to see the huge number eating the soylent green, while only the special snowflakes like you can truly discern real art and storytelling. What a burden carrying the knowledge among the sheeple....

OR, mad idea altogether , but might you and the other trufans be lacking perspective?

Yeah and see you next year while the wait for the messiah goes on...

So many great moments on the show, can't even list them all, but it has been amazing to see it come to life. I'm so grateful for HBO and D&D and all the cast and crew, and most of all the fans (of the show), who have demonstrated that fantasy can garner a popular audience.

I do hope they have a plan for the endgame. I'm concerned they only have 20 episodes left, and so much ground to cover. Hope it's well thought out and that George has provided them with a roadmap for what's to come. WAFO, I suppose.

He should stick to his nonsensical theory videos that have no chance of coming true.

Btw, I am not Preston Jacobs. But it's funny how we brought up a few of the same points. Then again, the flaws in this episode/season were pretty obvious.

no hyperbole there, oh no. It must be weird to see the huge number eating the soylent green, while only the special snowflakes like you can truly discern real art and storytelling. What a burden carrying the knowledge among the sheeple....

OR, mad idea altogether , but might you and the other trufans be lacking perspective?

Yeah and see you next year while the wait for the messiah goes on...

Didn't you hear the people that like the show are only dazzled by special effects and kills and boobs. Only the people that hate the show and watch it every week crying about how it's not like the book and say it doesn't make sense (but then when they try to explain it fall flat and keep going down their rabbit holes) understand true artistic merit.

And everyone who quit the show didn't post in the threads the next week.