[Poll] How would you rate episode 510?

Ran

How would you rate episode 510?  

1,157 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

It is reductive and presumptuous to state so confidently, that Stannis and Jon fans are embittered to the point of not recognising good art when presented to them. Beyond Jon saying Olly as his last word and Stannis turning out to be an utter moron, there were far more annoying things in the episode, some of which are:

1. Bad pussy.

2. Elaria turning out to be just as idiotic as Stannis...perhaps even more than that.

3. Jaime and Myrcella's pointlessness.

4. Trant the paedophile.

5. Shame. *bell ring* shame *bell ring* shame. ...seriously, that scene didn't need any "improvement"

6. Brienne and the magical candle that can be seen from miles away...against the whiteness of the snow. ..in broad daylight. ..but turned out to be just as pointless as Dorne and the greatness of bad pussy.

7. The teleportation machine has now been bequeathed upon Mel...who arrives in CB only moments after Davos, who left for the Wall way before her.

8. It turns out that Sansa was raped so that Theon could push Myranda to her death...but then jumps from the same height only moments later. ..and this is supposed to be a cliffhanger.

9. Why is the Dothraki Sea so different? It looks like nothing we saw in season 1. And are those Dothraki surrounding Dany so she can be raped for profound creative reasons next season. ..my spidey senses tell me yes. I hope my spidey senses are wrong.

10. How great that Tyrion speaks High Valyrian, he should be able to fix all of Dany's fuck ups. With Grey Worm, of course. But yeah, Tyrion and everyone else can fix Dany's fuck ups while two guys, one of whom is possibly spreading greyscale, go in search of the Queen.

11. Arya fucks up...and a faceless man has to die. there are no such things as fairies, oops, I just killed a fairy.

12. But that's all good, Varys has only now gotten hold of the teleportation machine and found his way to the same pyramid where Tyrion just so happens to be pondering how his awesomeness will save this foreign city from...Dany's fuck ups because we don't have the insurgency from the books or any really threats really, we just have Dany's fuck ups, which even I'm not sure of because...well, nothing really happened in Meereen.

13. Do I see the beginnings of a love triangle between Missandei, Grey Worm and Saint Tyrion? I hope not, but the mere suggestion of it was enough to have me rolling my eyes.

the show doesn't DESERVE anything. It needs to earn good reviews and ratings.

And yeah, Jon is my favourite character. I won't apologise for that or censor myself simply because the Ds are horrible writers.

And I continue to watch because sadly, I want to have an IDEA of what happens next, and Martin is still writing. If all the books were out, I wouldn't continue with the show. So yeah, I'll be tuning in next season and hoping things get better.

Agreed. Edited by Alia of the knife

Actually, I think D&D have been pretty respectful with the source material, so far - especially giving GRRM's notorious delays. A more pragmatic, or progressive producer would have simply stepped over the original novels at this point. - Like, I still remember the days when Tolkien's LotR had a script that morphed Arwen and Eowyn into the same character. For them, not to straight up everything not explicitely detailed in the novels, already a compliment.

I am registering, however, that the show started to become very unfocused, pretty much with season 3. As in, many completely unnecessary scenes - and I am not talking about Theon's finger-ride, or his castration. But, for example, if Lady Stoneheart was never to appear in the series, why even introduce the Brotherhood Without Banners? Or, so, Barristan Selmy was dramaticall introduced only to be killed off without even a line of text in his last scene? Or, the whole thing with the sand snakes?! Like, really. Seems to me more like the producers are looking for low-cost-production fillers: Please write better fillers, gents.

Edited by Le Noir Faineant

Le Noir Faineant,

This is a good point about GRRM probably being a difficult novelist for a production like GoTs to get along with. Not only is the time it takes for him to release new books an issue but so is his constant introduction of new characters, expanding the story, rather than honing it towards a finale.

Re your points about character changes I think that many posters aren't taking the power of celebrity and the actor's voices into account. Selmey was killed to make way for Tyrion to have a more heroic ending and avoid him having to reject a dwarf woman or joust on a pig. I see no reason that D&D would not want to include these things for the controversy - I think they like controversy, otherwise why include underage girls in brothels, burning of children and so on. I think Dinklage himself may have a say in exactly how Tyrion is portrayed and this has more to do with Selmey's death than D&D's choices.

As for cutting LSH and including Beric - reason Beric is there is to have resurrection as an accepted part of the universe. Reason LSH isn't there is that a fully dead and gone Stark matriarch is more dramatic overall.

Edited by ummester

This episode was fine in my eyes. It more or less brings the storyline to the same point in the books - Jon is stabbed, Myrcella's fate is unknown - but she's probably dead, Sam's headed to Oldtown to become a maester, Cersei and Robert Strong are reunited after a near verbatim walk of shame, Daenerys is in the Dothraki sea surrounded by a khalasar, Mereen is a chaotic pile of shit ready to kerplode, Theon and Ramsay's bride jump off the wall of Winterfell, Arya's training with the Faceless Men is continuing, despite her getting a chance to exact some revenge, etc. Stannis getting his comeuppance is probably going to happen in book 6, Shireen is definitely going to get burnt at the stake, Sansa is probably not going to be treated nicely by Harry the Heir, Barristan is likely going to die in the battle for Mereen, Tyrion will end up in a leadership position in Mereen, and Hardhome is going to become a catastrophe for the wildling refugees there. Jaime's probably even free to pursue his long, boring adventure in the Riverlands.

Just to give some perspective as this board has a tendency to be overly negative towards the show (largely from legacy book readers), I read the twitter comments here in the UK as the show aired live (I woke up and watched in line with the US) last night. Almost all the comments were extremely positive before and after even if there was extreme shock to the 'deaths'.

Having watched the episode twice now how anyone can score it is as one is just reflects there dislike for their show and I suspect they now trolling. I scored it as eight myself because it hard hitting TV.

10/10. the right amount of revelation and cliff hangers.

stanboys:you worshipped a false god, confess and accept the mother's mercy!

You see, this is irritating. Any critics of the show now are just going to be accused of being fans of a character that has died. That's right, it's not that we're disappointed that a once great show with great characters has gone into a rapid decline. We are all actually just "super fans" of the show who were rooting for character that has died. I'm of the opinion that people who are defending this season without talking about the quality of writing and character development are just in denial. Hitler in the bunker and the russians are at the gates because we're looking at a season 6 of Jar Jar Olly and Brienne. I agree with fans that didn't want to see Stannis die btw. He was one of the few complex characters left on the show. Tell me how he was not complex? Tell me how the remaining characters are complex -including Brienne, Ramsay, Sansa, Littlefinger. Seriously, unless these apologists for season 5 can tell me how and why the writing of the show and characters this season can be defined as "good" then I keep my rating at a 1.

I mean 10/10. Really? You must have really liked that "You want a good girl but you need a bad pussy" line a lot? Did it move you that much? 10/10 really, the perfect episode? that's revolutionary writing to you? how can an episode that includes a line like that be perfect? I'm not attacking you personally, I just need to understand the logic of the other point of view because I've watched the episode 3 times now and I just can't see what you see in it. I can't find the quality in it. Please someone, lead me by the hand down this journey and tell me what you saw in this episode.

Edited by RedViperHD

Just to give some perspective as this board has a tendency to be overly negative towards the show (largely from legacy book readers), I read the twitter comments here in the UK as the show aired live (I woke up and watched in line with the US) last night. Almost all the comments were extremely positive before and after even if there was extreme shock to the 'deaths'.

Having watched the episode twice now how anyone can score it is as one is just reflects there dislike for their show and I suspect they now trolling. I scored it as eight myself because it hard hitting TV.

Hahahahahaha, give me a break, hard hitting TV? I see, I just wanted a good episode but I NEEDED a bad pussy.

But yes, you are correct in saying that people who scored the episode low were reflecting their dislike for it. That's kind of the point of voting and opening your show up to critique. I suspect that people who scored it 10/10 were reflecting their love for it too and maybe even their love of bad dialog and 1 dimensional characters (I should say caricatures because that's what Brienne and the Boltons and Sansa and Littlefinger have become.)

Edited by RedViperHD

I think I sometimes over rate on here so I considered this a lot more and went for 7/10.

The "Battle of Winterfell" was disappointing, if they weren't going to show the action then why include it? I know fight scenes in the past have been cut to save money but this could have been so great... I find it amazing that so many men are loyal to the Boltons. I am definitely missing the other Northern Lords.

Stannis meeting Brienne felt very contrived. (Was it a cliffhanger? There are few off screen deaths, I don't see why they would keep him alive though)

The whole Dorne storyline this season has been a huge waste, I hope that they actually make it work next year (as surely they've set up for a Lannister/Martell fight).

Arya was awesome in her first scene with Ser Meryn, and pleased to see her go blind.

Reek, Sansa and Myranda's scene was also good, though surely that was not enough snow!

Dany dropping the ring also felt a bit silly, I am totally expecting Daario to find that next year but that will be ridiculous as surely Drogon flew her so far away.

As much as I love seeing Tyrion and Varys on screen together I would rather Varys were following his book plot... but you never know.

The whole episode was made so much better by Cersei's walk. I really loved it, I thought it was really well done and that Lena played it so well.

At the Wall I was sad that Sam suggested Old Town rather than Jon, Melisandre arriving gives me hope (but it seemed out of character for her to desert her king) and I felt really sorry for Ser Davos. The FTW moment though, was good, it's just a shame they trolled us by having Jon read letters without any of them being the pink letter, I was hoping for a rousing speech.

A lot of people seem to have hated this season but I really liked it and looking forward to a re-watch... hope WoW comes out before Season 6 though as I'd rather be comparing a show to the book than a book to the show.

It's funny to read all the butthurt reponses that it's "immature/stupid/etc." to give this episode a rating of 1, but everyone is perfectly fine with giving it a 9 or a 10. If a 9 or a 10 is an acceptable score if you loved the episode, then so are 1 and 2 acceptable scores if you didn't like it. If you prefer less extreme ratings then give it a 7 or a 4. That's the whole point of a 1 to 10 rating system.

Gave it a 7.

Felt depressed with the whole Stannis going from bad to worse to disaster to potential cliffhanger. He is supposed to be one of THE BEST military leaders. The Boltons don't even care to hide in Winterfell though Stannis does not bring siege weapons, they simply ride out and smash him.

No more words for Dorne... Myrcella cliffhanger was also not needed, though I guess she is dead. Also where the hell is Trystane when his beloved needs him?

Arya was good and gruesome. Walk of shame was also true to the source and well acted.

Am happy Varys showed up, I like his conversations with Tyrion.

Jon... was happy that they mentioned Benjen, and was ok how they went about it. I thought Alliser would not play a part, but probably makes sense for the show that he does.

And all of them saying Jon won't come back kinda freaks me out.

Now the long wait begins, hope TWOW comes out before Season 6...