[Poll] How would you rate episode 510?

Ran

How would you rate episode 510?  

1,157 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

CGI, sets, and other almost purely technical aspects are completely irrelevant IMO. The quality of such things is purely a function of the money spent on them. They also do nothing to make the story better. By such a token you'd rate Wrath of the Titans higher than most independent movies...

Good acting should be a factor but it's completely wasted on shit writing. Just look at Dinklage.

CGI, sets, and other almost purely technical aspects are completely irrelevant IMO. The quality of such things is purely a function of the money spent on them. They also do nothing to make the story better. By such a token you'd rate Wrath of the Titans higher than most independent movies...

Good acting should be a factor but it's completely wasted on shit writing. Just look at Dinklage.

To be fair DInklage is way too overrated. Great actor, but gets far too much worship.

I liked the Stokeworth cgi. That was money well spent. 5k on a castle that has absolutely no impact on the story and will never ever be seen.

In the books he said Ghost. This is very significant. Many people believed that Jon was going to warg into Ghost [FIIK why, it doesn't make much sense to me] and the show completely threw that theory out the window. Now they have basically said, Jon is going to be revived by Melisandre. Deal with it. Something many of us didn't want to happen considering the drawbacks of being, say, Lady Stoneheart or Beric.

right so your complaining about 1 of the ridiculous ADWD question mark points being removed.. What's the issue?

You're going to have a really hard time making that case. You might say, "They are irrelevant to me," and that would be fine. But even then you have to acknowledge that you are an extreme rarity. There is a reason that production companies spend millions of dollars on effects, set, and costumes and it's not because it makes them happy. They do it because it is a huge aid in suspension of disbelief and carrying the story. Heck this very forum blew up after episode 9 because people thought the scene of Dany riding Drogon away from the fighting pit looked fake. So obviously even amongst show snobs special effects are an issue. Likewise you hear professional critics discussing these aspects of film, theater and TV all the time.

And "good acting should be a factor"? That's it, just a factor? So good writing is the ONLY thing that can be legitimately judged when reviewing a television show?

Let me ask you a question then: if all that time and money spent is truly wasted on you, how enjoyable would this show be if they used puppets for the dragons instead of spectacular CGI? If the armor were all very obvious plastic and cloth mockups and the weapons were obviously wooden swords with tinfoil, would that not take you out of the moment just a tad? And if acting is only a factor, could you imagine Jason Statham playing Stannis, or Megan Fox playing Catelyn Stark? Of course good acting matters. It's almost absurd to suggest otherwise.

I get that people are assed out over some of the dialogue and even some of the storylines. Absolutely they could have been improved. My rating was an 8 because of exactly that. But to rate it a 1 - essentially saying it was as bad as it could possibly be - is just weird. Have none of you ever seen truly awful television? Spend 20 minutes watching Toddlers and Tiaras and get back to me about how bad the acting in Dorne was.

I didn't say the acting was a minor factor. I said bad writing ruins it.

And yes, a base level of material means is obviously needed. Doesn't change the fact that season 1 was infinitely better with half the money.

And it had only like 2 storylines to follow. Ned in Kings Landing, Dany in Essos and little bit of Tyrion in Vale. Now it is all over the place, with no books to follow and grrm is refusing to write an episode and be as invested in the show as he was in the past.

And it had only like 2 storylines to follow. Ned in Kings Landing, Dany in Essos and little bit of Tyrion in Vale. Now it is all over the place, with no books to follow and grrm is refusing to write an episode and be as invested in the show as he was in the past.

Season 1 had to follow Ned, Daenerys, Jon, Tyrion, Catelyn, and even Bran in Winterfell. That is not "two storylines". Jon, Tyrion and Cat all had significant screen time in season 1, even if you consider Ned and Dany to be the main storylines.

The show has been progressively getting worse since season 2, even when there were books to follow, so I don't think that excuse is appropriate. And the blame certainly doesn't lie with GRRM - the characters and story are so radically different at this point that him writing an episode would probably be a hindrance.

Why do you think GRRM isn't getting involved anymore, not even commenting on the show?

Also, and probably related, it was their decision to rush to the ending and scrape the story entirely. Even HBO was more than happy to shower them with money for ten seasons.

Probably because he has everyone under the son bitching at him for not writing fast enough and he's on the verge of having the book he spent the last 5 years working on spoiled at the last minute and this is his final chance to actually be ahead of the series.

He also cancelled a bunch of convention appearances too. He talked about the show like 4 weeks ago in his blog

Why do you think GRRM isn't getting involved anymore, not even commenting on the show?

Also, and probably related, it was their decision to rush to the ending and scrape the story entirely. Even HBO was more than happy to shower them with money for ten seasons.

To get his book out

I think there was a deal with HBO to avoid as much as possible spoiling more of the books, hence so many cliff hangers.

I essentially saw it as HBO giving GRRM a chance to get the book out, and GRRM doing his best to take that chance

Probably because he has everyone under the son bitching at him for not writing fast enough and he's on the verge of having the book he spent the last 5 years working on spoiled at the last minute and this is his final chance to actually be ahead of the series.

He also cancelled a bunch of convention appearances too. He talked about the show like 4 weeks ago in his blog

Exactly.

They butchered Stannis, ruined one of the few Dany segments I loved in the last book (her 'awakening'), they made FTW into weird blend of trolling and awkward acting.

Don't even get me started on Dorne and Winterfel.

1/10 and the 1 I give to Lena Headey, she nailed the walk of shame.

Season 5 has been terrible overall. I was happy during the few instances when they actually stuck to the source material. Dorne plot, Sansa@WF, Stannis; D&D needs to get their shit together. All this as well as the weird momentum of the show, cramming book 4&5 into one season and stacking poorly written fanfiction atop this makes for a shitty season.

I agree with your sentiment - but not the examples.

I think Dinklage is a good actor but he may have become a little overrated and let it go to his head.

CGI is not irreverent when it is being used to tell a story, ie: cute facial expressions on a serious dragon, or non scary skeletons for beings the production is still trying to sell as scary. 2 things matter - that the CG has the right design for the required tone and that the CG is of consistent quality. I've been doing some research and it seems there are multiple CG companies used in GoTs, which do work to seemingly different standards and styles - this can jolt a viewer faster than consistently poor FX.

Edited by ummester

But don't they use the same team for the same element? It would be a strange decision to let 2 different teams work on the same Dragon. But Drogon in the finale was so much more beautiful and realistic than in the previous episodes, so it wouldn't surprise me. I've watched that scene like 10 times already because of how beautifully realistic Drogon is.

But don't they use the same team for the same element? It would be a strange decision to let 2 different teams work on the same Dragon. But Drogon in the finale was so much more beautiful and realistic than in the previous episodes, so it wouldn't surprise me. I've watched that scene like 10 times already because of how beautifully realistic Drogon is.

Yea, episode 10 Drogon was animated much better than episode 2 and 9 Drogon in the face. I'm sure it was the same model, though. It may have even been the same animators, just not trying to do the same type of animation - I am not sure. EDIT - Just watched it again. Main difference is the eyes are so much less expressive, much less lid movement. He still makes a semi cute noise, like a little grunt, but it isn't accompanied by emotive eyes and mouth. Dany looks a lot better positioned on his back, also. And his head and neck are animated with much more weight.

I do think that the dragon animation may have been shared between at least 2 studios for this season, however, where it was all the single studio in prior seasons. There were far more dragon shots this season, so perhaps it was just too much for a single smallish studio?

Edited by ummester

Gave it a 7.

Felt depressed with the whole Stannis going from bad to worse to disaster to potential cliffhanger. He is supposed to be one of THE BEST military leaders. The Boltons don't even care to hide in Winterfell though Stannis does not bring siege weapons, they simply ride out and smash him.

No more words for Dorne... Myrcella cliffhanger was also not needed, though I guess she is dead. Also where the hell is Trystane when his beloved needs him?

Arya was good and gruesome. Walk of shame was also true to the source and well acted.

Am happy Varys showed up, I like his conversations with Tyrion.

Jon... was happy that they mentioned Benjen, and was ok how they went about it. I thought Alliser would not play a part, but probably makes sense for the show that he does.

And all of them saying Jon won't come back kinda freaks me out.

Now the long wait begins, hope TWOW comes out before Season 6...

I'm guessing Bronn went straight to the market to buy a fat pig, I mean poison antidote, after his near death experience in prison, or Tristayne has a stash of antidotes on him, him being Dornish and surrounded by crazy cousins and all. Myrcella might or might not be dead.

With Stannis, though, well, the Lord says He can get me out of Winterfell, but He's pretty sure Stannis is fucked.