[Poll] How would you rate episode 510?

Ran

How would you rate episode 510?  

1,157 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

But they would be wrong, because quality is not subjective. It doesn't matter how many more people like Kanye West better than JS Bach.

Of course it is subjective. It is just a matter of general consensus. As long as millions of fan and critics agree that something is of high quality, it is. Be free to not like the Beatles but you will always be the lone whiner in the corner who tries desperately to be acknowledged. Just like your opinion about the show actually.

And even with all of that, the critics are starting to air concerns about the show. Two more seasons down the line, and mark my words - this show won't be the darling of the critics any more.

A few critics are already saying the show has gotten boring and nonsensical. Even Unsullied are noticing the show's own logic is disordered and uneven. A lot of people who reviewed the show is also abandoning the ship.

I think next season we will find out how much damaged this season has caused to the franchise. If Martin manages to release the book before the season starts, that will be the killing blow.

No but getting good reviews and getting a mostly positive reception from fans and critics does. And that's the situation this show is in.

Quality is subjective. You can only measure the amount of people that have favorable subjective opinions. Just like millions would say you have bad taste for thinking the beatles suck.

It isn't really, except perhaps somewhere in the middle. I hate this idea that everything is subjective. Shakespeare is better than Stephen King. Objectively, factually. I'm sure there are many people who prefer King to Shakespeare, but this does not change the facts. Just as Botticelli is better than Warhol, objectively, factually. It is of course not as black and white in every case, but "quality" is not subjective. This is post modernist BS.

A few critics are already saying the show has gotten boring and nonsensical. Even Unsullied are noticing the show's own logic is disordered and uneven. A lot of people who reviewed the show is also abandoning the ship.

I think next season we will find out how much damaged this season has caused to the franchise. If Martin manages to release the book before the season starts, that will be the killing blow.

Keep dreaming. Why don't you re-read Quentyn and Aegon in the meantime and try to convince everybody here again why they should have been included in the show. That should keep us amused.

It isn't really, except perhaps somewhere in the middle. I hate this idea that everything is subjective. Shakespeare is better than Stephen King. Objectively, factually. I'm sure there are many people who prefer King to Shakespeare, but this does not change the facts. Just as Botticelli is better than Warhol, objectively, factually. It is of course not as black and white in every case, but "quality" is not subjective. This is post modernist BS.

The point with comparisons like this is that "better" is not a qualifying per se. I mean, why would WS be better than King? Was he a better writer? Was his narrative better? And what better by itself means? Did WS managed to write more engaging stories? Did he write faster? Was his prose more fluid? Were his characters more interesting? The same question about art. Why is Botticelli better than Warhol?

That's why comparing show vs books is so hard. For once, they're not even the same media. A story in a book is presented completely different as in a tv show or a movie. In a book, you can seat for hours and read a character telling a story if such story is interesting. In a movie/show you cannot have a character talking for hours because that would be boring. So, saying "Brienne story is better because it's not boring as in the books" is already a very absurd comparison as there is no way Brienne's arc could have been translated the same on screen. For instance, you don't need Brienne to tell us how bad the war has been for the Riverlands: we can see it ourselves.

Nope. Someone thinks Stephenie Meyer is a better writer than, say, Haruki Murakami, they're wrong. And a cretin.

Keep denying it, it won't help you. All art is subjective, there is no good or bad, only opinions backed by the majority or not. Who knows, maybe in a hundred years a legion of book critics will find hidden meanings galore in Meyer's books, universities will be named after her and nobel prize winners will do a pilgrimage to her grave. Who can say? Van Gogh was ridiculed as well and considered trash during his lifetime. And now?

If all art is subjective, then we wouldn't have art schools that grade students at all. Even the most abstract form of art has its own structure and composition, and its own set of rules.

Yes, I've studied art in College. Kinda. Architecture, but the first years were all about art and art alone. I remember one student who said "well, that is fine (some paint, I think) because is abstract" and the teacher made him write a whole report about what abstract art meant :dunno: Mostly people think that because some modern art is dots on a canvas, anything is art. Art needs a meaning, that's what grades mostly abstract art nowadays.

Edited by JonCon's Red Beard

The killing blow? The show just aired its most watched episode!

I think the book readers shitting on Feast and Dance are doing so for a reason. And it's not because they actually think the books are poor quality.

One thing I have noticed is that they tend to be people who have expressed doubts that George will ever finish the saga. Leading me to believe that they think GoT is the only way they will ever see the story finished. So they have done some sort of mental gymnastics to convince themselves that the show is, in fact, great.

I admit that Feast and Dance ave flaws, but I found some of the storylines included to be incredible. The build up around Winterfell, everything going to shit in KL, the Iron Islands kingsmoot, and (say what you want) Dorne. Just because you can't handle extra characters doesn't make it bad writing. I found the father/daughter relationship between Arianne and Doran to be incredible. Arrianne is one of the deepest characters I have ever read about.

If a lot of people attach meaning to something, this thing then becomes meaningful and aquires meaning in totally subjective ways. Shakespeare is the best example. The Tempest has been interpreted in myriad ways (post-colonial, feministic, etc..) and the literature written about it fills libraries. Different cultures and ages attach meaning in different ways. Picasso's Guernica might well be interpreted totally different than today in a hundred years. And that won't be better or worse than today, only different. Because all art is subjective.

So back to the topic - I loved the season's finale and subjectively rate it a 10. I think people who rated it a 1 have shitty taste and are self-righteous whiners and nerdy book-apologists who are in desperate denial about the glaring drop in quality in Feast and Dance and try to shift blame to the show in a pitiful attempt to exonerate GRRM. But hey, that's just me :)

Edited by Lord Eddard

I think the book readers shitting on Feast and Dance are doing so for a reason. And it's not because they actually think the books are poor quality.

One thing I have noticed is that they tend to be people who have expressed doubts that George will ever finish the saga. Leading me to believe that they think GoT is the only way they will ever see the story finished. So they have done some sort of mental gymnastics to convince themselves that the show is, in fact, great.

I admit that Feast and Dance ave flaws, but I found some of the storylines included to be incredible. The build up around Winterfell, everything going to shit in KL, the Iron Islands kingsmoot, and (say what you want) Dorne. Just because you can't handle extra characters doesn't make it bad writing. I found the father/daughter relationship between Arianne and Doran to be incredible. Arrianne is one of the deepest characters I have ever read about.

Interesting hypothesis.

I completely agree about Feast and Dance. They're a long way from perfect but they have some genuinely great segments. I'd add Jaime trying to sort out the Riverlands mess and Davos at White Harbor to your list. Great, great chapters, as are a couple of the crazier Cersei chapters for the entertaining madness she develops.

Edited by Dolorous Gabe