[Poll] How would you rate episode 510?

Ran

How would you rate episode 510?  

1,157 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Keep denying it, it won't help you. All art is subjective, there is no good or bad, only opinions backed by the majority or not. Who knows, maybe in a hundred years a legion of book critics will find hidden meanings galore in Meyer's books, universities will be named after her and nobel prize winners will do a pilgrimage to her grave. Who can say? Van Gogh was ridiculed as well and considered trash during his lifetime. And now?

Now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

I think the book readers shitting on Feast and Dance are doing so for a reason. And it's not because they actually think the books are poor quality.

One thing I have noticed is that they tend to be people who have expressed doubts that George will ever finish the saga. Leading me to believe that they think GoT is the only way they will ever see the story finished. So they have done some sort of mental gymnastics to convince themselves that the show is, in fact, great.

I admit that Feast and Dance ave flaws, but I found some of the storylines included to be incredible. The build up around Winterfell, everything going to shit in KL, the Iron Islands kingsmoot, and (say what you want) Dorne. Just because you can't handle extra characters doesn't make it bad writing. I found the father/daughter relationship between Arianne and Doran to be incredible. Arrianne is one of the deepest characters I have ever read about.

I'm also afraid the books will never be finished, which is why I watch the show. But the show is crap and I know it.

The problems I had with Feast and Dance were that some of the stuff was repetitive. I was rereading for a Daenerys analysis and I noticed that he introduces quite a few things several times, in several different chapters. And the writing style is different from the first three books, impatient somehow. I concede that the books have their issues. But the show is just one gigantic crap of a pothole. Which is sad since the show had a reference and therfore an opportunity of fixing some of the issues from the books.

So it's okay for you to subjectively rate the Finale a 10/10, but it's not okay for book readers to rate Feast and Dance 10/10.

Got it, you like the show because boobs and are intolerent of other opinions and tastes.

I would recommend that everyone ignore this troll, he is obviously here just to be a dick for laughs.

I give it 6 :/

Aya in Braavos was nice as usual as was the stuff with Tryion in Mereen. It was also nice seeing a little bit of Theon emerge from Reek but his jump with Sansa was idiotic lol

However, the way D&D continue to wank Brienne, and sh*t on Stannis infuriates me to no end. We didn't even get to see the battle, Brienne SOMEHOW finds Stannis, proceeds to belittle him, and then.....nothing....we're left on a cliffhanger....and the rumor is she actually killed him. I swear, if this is true, i'm dropping HBO and stealing my episodes (jk). I wouldn't even care if Stannis died (he's my favorite but he's gonna go eventually), it's just the writing sucked.....

Oh, and i'm still fuming over FTW. I actually shouted at my television lol there was absolutely no buildup, it seemed random af, and Jon's last word were "Olly".....f*ck that kid! haha

And wtf was up with that walk? That sh*t went on way too long. Some of those minutes could have easily been spent building up FTW more.

D&D need to step their game up :/

So it's okay for you to subjectively rate the Finale a 10/10, but it's not okay for book readers to rate Feast and Dance 10/10.

Got it, you like the show because boobs and are intolerent of other opinions and tastes.

I would recommend that everyone ignore this troll, he is obviously here just to be a dick for laughs.

Where did I say that? Of course it's ok for them to rate it however the heck they want. I just pity them for their bad taste and laughable attempts to justify it.

And btw, you are trolling the rate thread with your tired circle-jerk - off to the rant and rave asylum with you!

Trolling is subjective too!

To some, it's talking about the thread's topic - how they rate the show. To others it's talking about how they rate other posters.

Wait...thread topics are subjective too!

Hold my brain Eddy, hold my brain tight... I'm having a fucking epiphany here.

Edited by Facebookless Man

If a lot of people attach meaning to something, this thing then becomes meaningful and aquires meaning in totally subjective ways. Shakespeare is the best example. The Tempest has been interpreted in myriad ways (post-colonial, feministic, etc..) and the literature written about it fills libraries. Different cultures and ages attach meaning in different ways. Picasso's Guernica might well be interpreted totally different than today in a hundred years. And that won't be better or worse than today, only different. Because all art is subjective.

So back to the topic - I loved the season's finale and subjectively rate it a 10. I think people who rated it a 1 have shitty taste and are self-righteous whiners and nerdy book-apologists who are in desperate denial about the glaring drop in quality in Feast and Dance and try to shift blame to the show in a pitiful attempt to exonerate GRRM. But hey, that's just me :)

Look, I consider Feast to be my least favourite book in the series but...I really don't get people who think that the last two books are awful. What makes you think they're so bad? Because they're slow? Because they introduce new characters (as if books never do that)?

I think they could have done with some trimming, and I probably would have shifted the POVs around to include some more of the fan favourites in AFFC. But once you get over your bitterness about Tyrion not being in Feast, it's really a great book with some of the best scenes in the series. You didn't like Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood. ???

But once you get over your bitterness about Tyrion not being in Feast, it's really a great book with some of the best scenes in the series. You didn't like Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood. ???

First I was bitter about Tyrion not being in Feast. Then I was bitter when I read his "exploits" in Dance. When people complain about D&D's character assissination I mournfully point them to Tyrion and Dany in Dance - or as I like to call them "swimming with turtles" and "doing nothing for hundreds of pages".

First I was bitter about Tyrion not being in Feast. Then I was bitter when I read his "exploits" in Dance. When people complain about D&D's character assissination I mournfully point them to Tyrion and Dany in Dance - or as I like to call them "swimming with turtles" and "doing nothing for hundreds of pages".

But that's the point at that part of their story. Dany is lost and is trying to find her way again. That's the point of the Daznak's Pit scene when she embraces her heritage for the first time in a long while. Tyrion is a mess and quite reasonably so given what happened in ASOS.

I didn't like Feast at all on first read. Like you I wanted to read about Tyrion particularly. There are problems with it but on reread you do start to notice the qualities in it.

There are maybe one or two too many Brienne chapters going nowhere and we probably didn't need to see Areo Hotah's or Arys Oakheart's POV in Dorne. And in Dance we could have had Quentyn turn up in Meereen without his POV in getting there after establishing through Dorne chapters that he is going there. There are problems but there are also a number of genuinely great chapters and sequences. Some editing tweaks and they wouldn't be that far off books 1-3, though clearly that ship has sailed.

But that's the point at that part of their story. Dany is lost and is trying to find her way again. That's the point of the Daznak's Pit scene when she embraces her heritage for the first time in a long while. Tyrion is a mess and quite reasonably so given what happened in ASOS.

I didn't like Feast at all on first read. Like you I wanted to read about Tyrion particularly. There are problems with it but on reread you do start to notice the qualities in it.

There are maybe one or two too many Brienne chapters going nowhere and we probably didn't need to see Areo Hotah's or Arys Oakheart's POV in Dorne. And in Dance we could have had Quentyn turn up in Meereen without his POV in getting there after establishing through Dorne chapters that he is going there. There are problems but there are also a number of genuinely great chapters and sequences. Some editing tweaks and they wouldn't be that far off books 1-3, though clearly that ship has sailed.

These flaws you mention are much more glaring in my perception and sully my experience to the point that I can't enjoy those books any more - especially given the brilliance of the preceding Storm. It's like discovering a piece of offal in your cup of Dornish Red. The whole cup is swill after that.

And besides, I argue that people will try really hard to find a gem in anything. There are even some misguided Jordan fans who defend the infamous A Crossroads of Twilight to death over at Goodreads and spout about "character development while travelling", "worldbuilding", etc.. Interesting enough the same excuses one hears about Feast and Dance.

protar, you're discussing with a troll. A lame one.

Probably. But, some people genuinely think AFFC and DWD completely suck. Like how many people complain about Tyrion's story in Dance? But I just don't get it. Tyrion's story in Dance is some of the best stuff I've ever read. There's intrigue, mystery, magic, a game changing twist and a lot of character depth. Martin isn't afraid to take his protagonists into truly dark places. And it just boggles my mind how someone can read the Aegon reveal and then read Aegon immediately conquering the strongest castle in Westeros and just go "meh. Not important." As certain as I am that Lord Eddard is a troll, given how rude and inflammatory he's being, a lot of people genuinely have that opinion. I get some of the complaints with Feast/Dance, but others...not so much.

The thing that annoys me the most is that it is generally show apologists who don't like them. They use bad source material as an excuse, and say that is the primary reason season five was horrible.

My key problem here is that the show has shown no aversion to shifting storylines and speeding up development, and the result is very different from ASOIAF. I mean, what are their primary complaints regarding the final books?

1. Jaime doing nothing in the Riverlands

Brilliantly replaced by... Jaime doing nothing in Dorne.

2. Brienne searching for Sansa.

Replaced with... Brienne doing nothing outside Winterfell.

3. Sansa eating lemon cakes in the Vale.

Replaced with... Sansa getting raped in Winterfell and neither adding nor subtracting anything from her character. (Let's be honest with ourselves, Sansa's abuse is hardly ever going to be referenced again. Especially because she will NEVER be raped by Ramsay in the books.)

4. Tyrion doing nothing on a journey to Meereen.

Replaced with... Tyrion hanging with bros in Meereen and fucking with everyone's arcs there as he arrived too early.

5. Dorne introducing new characters.

Replaced with... Bad Pussy. The worst arc every viewed on my television.

6. Boring new Aegon laying siege to a castle and elephants on Cape Wrath.

Too boring, must be cut.

7. Euron arriving on the Iron Islands, the Kingsmoot, Victarion heading out with a fleet of 100 longships, raiding the Reach.

Too boring, must be cut.

The new material is sooooo much better than those crappy books. Look at how much butchering those plotlines improved on the source material.

I will stress one last time that I have absolutely no problem with cutting storylines and changing them. I was really looking forward to Sansa in Winterfell. But then we get not a single plotline superior to what I read, with all that potential, with all the knowledge regarding what people disliked and what should be enhanced.

Edited by Lady Blackmont