[Poll] How would you rate episode 510?

Ran

How would you rate episode 510?  

1,157 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I completely agree that sending Sansa away from the Vale was a good move, there is enough sitting around elsewhere. But the way it was handled, both traveling and actions when there, was atrocious. A Stark in Winterfell has great potential, but her presence there was out of place, and they didn't make enough changes elsewhere to compensate. It's comparable to Brienne and Jaime in KL before the purple wedding, a nice move, but I don't think they considered the complete picture. There are a host of alterations that must be made in order to bring in new material and keep some of the original things.

This is the primary reason why I think they should just write their own work, instead of using book scenes in illogical situations. Using the Shae-Tyrion-Tywin arc as an example, they could have done so many things with the ending, but they decided to stick more or less with book material. I think it would have been a better arc for each of them if they had just written it originally.

I completely agree that sending Sansa away from the Vale was a good move, there is enough sitting around elsewhere. But the way it was handled, both traveling and actions when there, was atrocious. A Stark in Winterfell has great potential, but her presence there was out of place, and they didn't make enough changes elsewhere to compensate. It's comparable to Brienne and Jaime in KL before the purple wedding, a nice move, but I don't think they considered the complete picture. There are a host of alterations that must be made in order to bring in new material and keep some of the original things.

This is the primary reason why I think they should just write their own work, instead of using book scenes in illogical situations. Using the Shae-Tyrion-Tywin arc as an example, they could have done so many things with the ending, but they decided to stick more or less with book material. I think it would have been a better arc for each of them if they had just written it originally.

I still think that introducing the Manderlys this season could have worked if they'd focussed the Northern story specifically at White Harbor. They could have had a few factions do what Davos does in the books and look to gain their support, and this could have included LF and Sansa.

You could have had Davos, Ramsay and/or Roose, LF and Sansa and some Freys all be at WH for varying reasons. That could have had a very tense and interesting plot and would be streamlined so as not to have too many locations and characters in different places. It could have concluded around the end of episode 7 at which point Roose/Ramsay could have learned that Stannis was marching for WF, an actual plot to retake Winterfell could have been formed amongst Sansa, LF and Manderly and could have involved faking their allegiance to the Boltons against Stannis, and the political intrigue of the North would be better established.

I'd have preferred that to the Ramsay show of Winterfell that we got.

To me, the biggest mistake the show made this season, and probably its history, was omitting the Manderleys. I mean, I don't see how that got cut. In a season full of gloom and doom, Manderley's "the North remembers" speech is one of the few triumphant positive moments. It would have been very memorable. Not to mention freaking Frey Pie, another one of those triumphant moments.

I really don't get how this show had time for Dorne, Grey Worm/Missandei, Meryn Trant's "too young", and several other nonsensical go-nowhere sideplots while it couldn't find time for Manderley.

I think it could have been a brilliant move to transpose "Alayne's" story in the Eyrie to Sansa in Winterfell, having Sansa "play the game" with Northern lords such as Manderley and Dustin. You could also use that to cut out the rape, as the show hinted that Roose was pressuring Ramsay to rein in his behavior, and certainly having Sansa and the whole "Northern conspiracy" watching Sansa's treatment carefully would provide justification for that.

But yeah...D & D needed a shocking moment so they just decided that Jeyne Poole's story was more important to tell than Sansa/Alayne's. Just really an awful disgusting decision on their parts imo.

D&D have written very good scenes in the past.

I'm surprised some people would go into such depths to analyze every word and say "Aha..see? A flaw

The chaos ladder sounded very well on TV especially showing sansa. It gave us a clue on LF's plan and his method of working.

THAT IS ALL THAT FUCKING MATTERS

You need not over analyze it since TV is a visual medium and dialogues only support it

I know it doesn't matter and I did say it's not a bad thing per se. It's typical over-the-top villain dialogue. I really don't need to overanalyse it tho, I identify it for what it is as it is being uttered.

Brilliant writing, though, it is not.

Edited by Facebookless Man

I know it doesn't matter and I did say it's not a bad thing per se. It's typical over-the-top villain dialogue. I really don't need to overanalyse it tho, I identify it for what it is as it is being uttered.

Brilliant writing, though, it is not.

I don't see how the comparison works either. Chaos isn't really a ladder because chaos cannot be that structured.

Statistics without elimination of outliers. Data from 06/19/2015 18:48.

Episode 501 - The Wars to Come

Number of votes: 592

Median: 7

Arithmetic mean: 6.853

Standard deviation: 1.898

Episode 502 - The House of Black and White

Number of votes: 466

Median: 8

Arithmetic mean: 7.030

Standard deviation: 2.012

Episode 503 - High Sparrow

Number of votes: 444

Arithmetic mean: 7.414

Standard deviation: 2.255

Episode 504 - The Sons of the Harpy

Number of votes: 486

Arithmetic mean: 6.874

Standard deviation: 2.459

Episode 505 - Kill the Boy

Number of votes: 549

Arithmetic mean: 7.164

Standard deviation: 2.326

Episode 506 - Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

Number of votes: 753

Median: 6

Arithmetic mean: 5.417

Standard deviation: 2.961

Episode 507 - The Gift

Number of votes: 634

Arithmetic mean: 7.582

Standard deviation: 2.158

Episode 508 - Hardhome

Number of votes: 958

Median: 10

Arithmetic mean: 9.048

Standard deviation: 1.751

Episode 509 - The Dance of Dragons

Number of votes: 954

Arithmetic mean: 6.107

Standard deviation: 3.042

Episode 510 - Mother's Mercy

Number of votes: 1071

Arithmetic mean: 6.108

Standard deviation: 3.258

Actually the viewer numbers are pretty low for a global success show, aren't they? 8million at peak?

Mord mit Aussicht, a German show that only airs in Germany and Austria has a viewership of 7million.

Tatort, another German crime series that is ancient by now, has viewer numbers from 7 to 13 million.

Game Of Thrones is by no means the most successful or most viewed show. It is the loudest and part of the Zeitgeist, but that's about it.

Not bitching, just putting things in relation.

Actually the viewer numbers are pretty low for a global success show, aren't they? 8million at peak?

Mord mit Aussicht, a German show that only airs in Germany and Austria has a viewership of 7million.

Tatort, another German crime series that is ancient by now, has viewer numbers from 7 to 13 million.

Game Of Thrones is by no means the most successful or most viewed show. It is the loudest and part of the Zeitgeist, but that's about it.

You have to pay to get HBO to watch Game of Thrones. Also not all of HBO's subscribers watch it the night of because HBO airs it during the week regularly, they have it on most cable on demand services, they have it on HBO Go and HBO now.

Also because it is on a pay station it has a huge piracy issue that other network shows don't have.

So really what you are looking at is

The 8 million that watch the night of, plus the viewers that catch it later in the week, plus the viewers that watch it On Demand/HBO GO/HBO NOW, and then for total viewership (not anything that benefits HBO) you might also look at the piracy viewers who make it the most pirated show in the world.

Just an example. The first season had an average of 2.5 million viewers the night of. Then it averaged 9.5 million during the entire week with repeats and on demand viewing. And that was before HBO Now. Season 4's average of total viewership for the week was 18.6 million which broke the record from the Sopranos. This season will probably break that. And because HBO doesn't play to advertisers, first airing viewings don't matter as much. That's not counting how many people pirate it. Which is substantial since it's the most pirated show in the world. The last episode just broke the illegal download record and was projected to be illegally downloaded over 10 million times in a few days.

Edited by lancerman

We're getting the Umbers next year it seems. So the North will be getting some non-Bolton representation. Maybe they can explain how Ramsay pulled the army out of his ass too.

The sellsworfs defected. Pretty sure that's what happened. Frey pies would be awesome. Still have to have north do *something* next before shit hits fan in season 7.

Please rewatch episode 408. The Boltons have a good sized army. That had already been established.

You have to pay to get HBO to watch Game of Thrones. Also not all of HBO's subscribers watch it the night of because HBO airs it during the week regularly, they have it on most cable on demand services, they have it on HBO Go and HBO now.

Also because it is on a pay station it has a huge piracy issue that other network shows don't have.

So really what you are looking at is

The 8 million that watch the night of, plus the viewers that catch it later in the week, plus the viewers that watch it On Demand/HBO GO/HBO NOW, and then for total viewership (not anything that benefits HBO) you might also look at the piracy viewers who make it the most pirated show in the world.

Just an example. The first season had an average of 2.5 million viewers the night of. Then it averaged 9.5 million during the entire week with repeats and on demand viewing. And that was before HBO Now. Season 4's average of total viewership for the week was 18.6 million which broke the record from the Sopranos. This season will probably break that. And because HBO doesn't play to advertisers, first airing viewings don't matter as much. That's not counting how many people pirate it. Which is substantial since it's the most pirated show in the world. The last episode just broke the illegal download record and was projected to be illegally downloaded over 10 million times in a few days.

Might as well argue about the color of the sky.

It is literally the highest rating of any cable show ever.

Edited by Spilt Pea Soup

She had no agency whatsoever. It's not like anyone (Varys maybe?) would be willing to send her across the narrow sea. She was Tyrion's prisoner and victim. For sure.

Within that scene she had no agency.

Of course, she declined going overseas because she loved Tyrion (why, I don't fucking know?). Then Tyrion dumped her and she got the shits on - hell has no fury and all that. Then Tyrion was locked up and she thought she make some money on the side with Tywin. Then Tyrion got away and when she saw the look on his face, after just waking up and being disorientated, she was scared because Tyrion was furious.

She had less agency than Tyrion in that scene - regardless of what had gone before. Jeez.

Stannis has no agency now (I think he's still alive, in show) and he had heaps before - doesn't mean he cant still interact with the plot. Agency is dependent on the character and the situation.

Edited by ummester

In my city, the internet is down on monday morning.

Extreme traffic for GoT download.

Need I say more?

It is the frikkin highest viewed show ever. I assume you are angry with the story and decided to make fun of the viewership. But none of your "stupid" shows ever makes its way to 193 countries and has 32000 seeds for torrent.

I think the numbers are fine for a cable network. Around 2012-2013 Glee and GoT had pretty much the same numbers and Glee was going down in ratings.

I think the numbers are fine for a cable network. Around 2012-2013 Glee and GoT had pretty much the same numbers and Glee was going down in ratings.

It's just a late response to one of the show extremists on here that preached that this show was the biggest and best thing to ever happen to this planet, when in reality it is just a loud fandom of a normal series with normal viewership.

It's just a late response to one of the show extremists on here that preached that this show was the biggest and best thing to ever happen to this planet, when in reality it is just a loud fandom of a normal series with normal viewership.

Don't know about biggest and best thing - but I think GoTs has manged to break through the just a show into cultural phenomenon status, more than any other adult rated TV show.