[Poll] How would you rate episode 510?

Ran

How would you rate episode 510?  

1,157 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

It's just a late response to one of the show extremists on here that preached that this show was the biggest and best thing to ever happen to this planet, when in reality it is just a loud fandom of a normal series with normal viewership.

It doesn't have normal viewership. Within a week you are talking like close to 19 million people having seen an episode and probably 30 million or more when you factor in piracy. In 2015 that's huge.

Put it this way. Breaking Bad for it it's first four seasons averaged between 1.4 million and 2.9 million. It's final season averaged 5.9 million. And that's on a show where you really had to catch the first viewing, they don't do replays as frequently, and more of the country has it as part of their cable package than HBO. And that was one of the bigger shows on tv. A STRONG network show (something basically everyone in America with a tv has) like Modern Family can get average around 12 million. But it also isn't going to get the extra 10= million during the week that Game of Thrones gets and it's not going to get the piracy that GOT gets anyways. And you don't see twitter and facebook blow up every week because of those shows (Maybe the Breaking Bad finale), major sites and internet services getting too much traffic during episodes.

Right now in America the most watched show is Sunday Night Football on NBC. It is something almost everyone has to watch the day of because its sports and everyone knows the results almost immediately. It's on one of the 3 main networks that everyone gets. It averages 21 million viewers. It's not going to get viewing later in the week. People won't pirate. GOT during the average week gets 18 million-19 million viewers (this years it's probably closer to 19). So it's just under that. Then there is piracy to factor in. So all in all, more people in a given week likely watch Game of Thrones compared to anything else. And before you say oh your only taking the first airing numbers for Football and the weekly numbers for GOT, nobody is watching the Sunday night game anything but live.

Does it really matter how much it makes?

If I had never read the books, I would love this show. I would say; "This season is only an aberration, it can only get better."

In terms of adult fantasy, you can't get anything better than this, and fantasy as a genre is generally underappreciated by adults, as they seem to think about happy prince and princess fairy tales. GoT is great, because it is opening up the world for another genre that now has a large audience, this is something I am very pleased with.

Accepting that, ratings and total viewership does not matter. The Hobbit trilogy made millions of dollars, I disliked it, not because of book deviations (which in this case do not apply) but because of ludicrous action sequences and plot. I was half afraid Michael Bay was involved. I'm not saying that GoT appeals to the lowest common denominator or anything like that, but some shows and film do, and people with poor taste abound.

Please note that I am not bashing GoT here in the least, rather applauding it. I'm just saying that both sides need to put down their flags and statistics (many of which are obviously invented) as they do not effect the quality of the show. As we know, quality =/= popularity.

Don't know about biggest and best thing - but I think GoTs has manged to break through the just a show into cultural phenomenon status, more than any other adult rated TV show.

But most American TV shows do that.

Apparently Big Bang Theory is the most viewed thing right now?

Anyway, they all get that cultural phenomenon thing. (HIMYM, 2&1/2 Men, Friends, Breaking Bad, you name it)

My argument was completely neutral. It was just a fact to get all a bit down from their imagined high. The show is (for me was) good and groundbreaking, but is a bit of a catchphrase yeller and controversy addict. They now only use the successful elements that made them great and completely leave out the other stuff. It is now a feast of bloody fights, lots of sex and actually just like 50 shades, living off that momentum of controversy and scandal instead of continuing their great writing, which they once had.

But most American TV shows do that.

Apparently Big Bang Theory is the most viewed thing right now?

Anyway, they all get that cultural phenomenon thing. (HIMYM, 2&1/2 Men, Friends, Breaking Bad, you name it)

My argument was completely neutral. It was just a fact to get all a bit down from their imagined high. The show is (for me was) good and groundbreaking, but is a bit of a catchphrase yeller and controversy addict. They now only use the successful elements that made them great and completely leave out the other stuff. It is now a feast of bloody fights, lots of sex and actually just like 50 shades, living off that momentum of controversy and scandal instead of continuing their great writing, which they once had.

Except for Breaking Bad which is on cable, the shows you listed are on broadcast commercial television while GOT is on a premium subscription service. There is a far larger potential audience to draw them. They are also more familar genre of Sitcoms and a Modern drama.

I think the show has surpass many expectation in terms of Ratings and able to maintain the Ratings is very good for this genre of show.

Except for Breaking Bad which is on cable, the shows you listed are on broadcast commercial television while GOT is on a premium subscription service. There is a far larger potential audience to draw them. They are also more familar genre of Sitcoms and a Modern drama.

I think the show has surpass many expectation in terms of Ratings and able to maintain the Ratings is very good for this genre of show.

What is there even to argue then? It is not the most viewed show. Not at the moment, likely never. (Going by the numbers of the first viewing, which are apparently all the craze in America).

Some movies are bad while in theaters, but sell like hell when they are released on DVD and BD. But the concern was the numbers of the first viewing.

Potential=/=Reality. Nothing against you, I know more people might watch it legally if you wouldn't have to get a sub for one show with 10 episodes a year, it is just how it is. People didn't.

For scripted television on cable, Game of Thrones is easily #2, only behind The Walking Dead. It loses to a few live sports events during the year as well.

In terms of the key demographic, it still beats everything scripted on network TV besides The Big Bang Theory. And when both shows were being released in April, GoT was beating TBBT on Comcast on Demand.

And that doesn't even take into consideration the international appeal of the show.

It is a huge success no matter which you look at it. You have to really want to hate on the show to deny it.

What is there even to argue then? It is not the most viewed show. Not at the moment, likely never. (Going by the numbers of the first viewing, which are apparently all the craze in America).

Some movies are bad while in theaters, but sell like hell when they are released on DVD and BD. But the concern was the numbers of the first viewing.

Potential=/=Reality. Nothing against you, I know more people might watch it legally if you wouldn't have to get a sub for one show with 10 episodes a year, it is just how it is. People didn't.

Either you are too dense to get lancerman's excellent response to your endearing assumption that you could compare Game of Thrones' viewership and ratings to some obscure backwater German show - or you are willfully trolling.

In the spirit of charity, I assume the latter. But maybe you are indeed special and need that extra nudge to understand basic realities, so here I'll help you out, nice and simple: the show is a massive success with unprecedented ratings and a worldwide hit, the vast majority loves it and rightly so.

Deal with it.

For the last 7 days in television ratings.... For the key demographic.

The #1 & #2 shows were the NBA. #3 was Game of Thrones. It even beat the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Even when network television is in full swing, Game of Thrones loses to Big Bang Theory and The Walking Dead. And it has more international appeal then both of those shows.

For the last 7 days in television ratings.... For the key demographic.

The #1 & #2 shows were the NBA. #3 was Game of Thrones. It even beat the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Even when network television is in full swing, Game of Thrones loses to Big Bang Theory and The Walking Dead. And it has more international appeal then both of those shows.

This guy Metopheles won't let facts get in the way of a good trolling, so save your breath. We have already shown him the error of his ways. He just doesn't like it that he has made an ass out of himself :)

I'm pretty sure both TWD and BBT are more popular in Europe.

Not that I give a fuck either way, just my perception as someone who lives between three major european countries.

http://www.barb.co.uk/

According to this website, Game of Thrones is more popular in the UK then TBBT and The Walking Dead.

Viewership schmewership. The show can be watched by 100% of the people on the planet, that doesn't necessarily translate into great quality. I watch a lot of bad TV, I enjoy watching bad TV while doing other things. The problem with GoT for me is that I'm invested in the story, the real story, A Song of Ice and Fire.

I can watch The Following without getting annoyed and just laugh at it. The same is true for many other TV shows.

I love the books and hate to see so much promise gone to waste. But alas, too late. The show has gone beyond the point of being redeemable to me.

Then stop watching, my poor summer child :kiss:

Aw thanks, that's so sweet! I will take it into consideration. I had decided to stop watching before series 5 premiered, then changed my mind, to my eternal regret, and watched it. Now I'm really torn... On one hand, it's painful to see ASoIaF reduced to this parade of shock and awe moments that GoT has become. Otoh, it's now so far removed from ASoIaF that I think I can watch it exactly like I watch The Following and Homeland: while playing on my tablet and every now and then laughing at some random scene.

Watched it again last night. 10/10 really fantastic. On second viewing.

A few notes.

1). Soldier told stannis half the sellswords left with all their horses. In context it's clear he was referring to the war horses and not literally every horse

2). Mel leaves in beginning of episode and arrives at end. Not sure what the big deal is here.

3). Lena Headey was amazing. The CGI looked great to me, and the scene was even more powerful when I wasn't waiting for the final scene and just enjoying it. Jonathan Pryce is amazing as always. Really one of the best sequences on the show ever.

4). FTW was not as dramatic as it could have been. I didn't find it very dramatic in the book, either, and I didn't feel like the scene hit the right notes. Still it was good and a nice ending.

5). Drogon looked great.

6) Dorne didn't suck. If that was the first of Dorne Inhad seen, I would expect the build up would have been good. Alas, not the case.

7) a few funny moments with Tyrion and Sam. The actors on the show have really come into their characters.

So hyped for season 6!!!!

Edited by Spilt Pea Soup